Police praised for not fining helmet-less students - they are told to pick up litter instead

webfact

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Police on traffic duty outside the Beach Road police station in Pattaya decided not to fine two female students on their way to school who were not wearing helmets.

I wonder if they checked for a driver's licence or insurance.

23 hours ago, Get Real said:

Nice to hear that the police are still given the right to follow the law or break it.

I understand your concern, but the current "system" is not working! At least some officers are trying to use an alternative solution to the problem.

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools. Alternately; Rules are for fools and for the guidance of wise men.  (Douglas Bader).

And if you do not know Douglas Bader, then 'google' it.

Edited by lvr181
Spelling correction
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

I understand your concern, but the current "system" is not working! At least some officers are trying to use an alternative solution to the problem.

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools. Alternately; Rules are for fools and for the guidance of wise men.  (Douglas Bader).

Meaningless for parents to pay the fine for these spoiled girls. Here they had actually to do something unpleasant to help them remember. Better.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Why are you trying to shit the focus of this to Douglas Bader, and why would I need to google that for a continued conversation? Totally irrelevant!

What is not irrelevant, though, is that fines, rules, regulations and laws seem to work very good in most countries in the world. The problem is just that they need to come to the great insight about that one line must be followed by all. If everybody are working in the same way, and not beeing given the right to change from day to day, then the system would work just fine. Exactly like the fine we are talking about, that should have been given.

20 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

If they didnt have the authority they should be further investigated and possibly be fired.

Giving the girls a choice does not make it right. What if they had the choice between a ticket and some sexual favour? Still fine as they have a choice?

Why should the officer be investigated, has someone complained?

Jesus...sexual favours were not involved, using discretion and not charging the girls was, no need for you to take it to imaginary extremes.

Edited by Just Weird

50 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Why should the officer be investigated, has someone complained?

Jesus...sexual favours were not involved, using discretion and not charging the girls was, no need for you to take it to imaginary extremes.

And thats how problems are created.

The policeman is allowed to make up punishments at the spot, but it can't be sexual, or dangerous, or whatever the word of the day is. Who is to interpret that and based on what?

How about the following rule: police have descretion to give a fine or not, but they are not allowed to determine the amount or propose "alternative" punishments?

That rule is pretty clear, easy to understand, and works wonders in developed countries.

"Has someone complained?"

How does that matter?

If police take a bribe of 200 baht instead of writing a ticket of 500, will someone complain? Guess not, so no faul in your book?

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

Not just my opinion, fact.  Police can use their discretion to warn offenders without charging them, happens all the time.

True. In developed countries as well, as I know from personal experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

Not just my opinion, fact.  Police can use their discretion to warn offenders without charging them, happens all the time.

Yes, sure they can. What result do you get out of that? Same like every embassy, every immigration office. You probably like when everyone are working different.
Just stop babbling, and realize facts that might lead to a better system.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, lvr181 said:

"Why are you trying to shit (sic) the focus of this to Douglas Bader......" Because you would then understand (?) why he made the remark/quote! 

You just don't get it.:coffee1:  Perhaps you were a public servant in a past life? (Rhetorical question).

And you woke up after that intelligent post, took a shower, and went stright back to bed?

• Haha 1

On 3/7/2018 at 9:02 AM, Get Real said:

Hopefully that is not the top performing stundents in that school.

They forgot their helmets... they also forgot their brains, which should have been under their helmets. They probably forgot to do their homework as well. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 2:49 PM, Bob12345 said:

And thats how problems are created.

The policeman is allowed to make up punishments at the spot, but it can't be sexual, or dangerous, or whatever the word of the day is. Who is to interpret that and based on what?

No problems have been created, the officer in this case has received nothing but praise...apart from by you.

"The policeman is allowed to make up punishments at the spot... Who is to interpret that and based on what?"

The officer does not "make up punishments on the spot".  Given that there is a range of fines for many offences and that officers are given the authority to use their discretion as to which ones to impose in particular circumstances then the officer makes that decision.

Why do you keep bringing sex into this?

3 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

No problems have been created, the officer in this case has received nothing but praise...apart from by you.

"The policeman is allowed to make up punishments at the spot... Who is to interpret that and based on what?"

The officer does not "make up punishments on the spot".  Given that there is a range of fines for many offences and that officers are given the authority to use their discretion as to which ones to impose in particular circumstances then the officer makes that decision.

Why do you keep bringing sex into this?

No problems have been created besides thousands of motorbike drivers killed yearly because they didnt wear a helmet. But thats not really a problem right?

You seriously think the law states there is a range of punishments from a xxx baht fine to picking up litter?

I think we are done discussing this as you are purposefully acting dumb or .... (finish that one yourself).

• Haha 1

Just now, Bob12345 said:

You seriously think the law states there is a range of punishments from a xxx baht fine to picking up litter?

I think we are done discussing this as you are purposefully acting dumb or .... (finish that one yourself).

No, I don't, and are you seriously suggesting that I did?  I said that there is a range of fines for certain offences, which there are, whether you like it or not. 

A police officer can choose whether to warn offenders or charge them which is what he did in this case.  Asking the girls to pick up a few bits of litter as a warning that was filmed and not done surreptitiously brought no complaints from anyone at all, including the girls, (except for a couple of anti-RTP whingers here who hate to see police officers being praised).

I am not the one acting dumb and if you think that "we are done discussing this" (!) why do you continue it with a comment?   Are you under the illusion that what you say goes on this forum?  Geez...

7 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

No, I don't, and are you seriously suggesting that I did?  I said that there is a range of fines for certain offences, which there are, whether you like it or not. 

A police officer can choose whether to warn offenders or charge them which is what he did in this case.  Asking the girls to pick up a few bits of litter as a warning that was filmed and not done surreptitiously brought no complaints from anyone at all, including the girls, (except for a couple of anti-RTP whingers here who hate to see police officers being praised).

I am not the one acting dumb and if you think that "we are done discussing this" (!) why do you continue it with a comment?   Are you under the illusion that what you say goes on this forum?  Geez...

Have a nice day.

This entire thread has so many breaches of fat bunches of the rules regarding baiting, trolling, flaming that rather than delete a fat chunk of the content I am ready to close it.

Numerous troll, baiting and flame posts have been removed.

A full set of the forum rules are available here: https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/terms/

Some folk who do not want their stuff deleted or to have posting holidays might want to refresh up on them.