Is Medical Note required in CM to get 5 year driver's licence?

RikDao

I'm on a retirement extension Non-O Immigrant visa. I have a one- or two-year license, can't remember which, and when I renew I want to get a 5-year.

Anybody know the latest rules about whether I need a doctor's note again?

Thanks!

zYes, you do need a Medical Certificate to renew.  A new standarized form is now required and it must be from a recognized Doctor.  No more 50 baht piece of paper from your local quack will cut it.  In my case I knew about the new form and to be on the safe side I went to the Health Checkup Center at the Chiang Mai Annex.  The usual paperwork out front then vital sign checked, height, weight, blood pressure in both arms and temperature taken. After that I saw the Doctor, she had a form in front of her and told me it was necessary to ask about my prior medical history before she could issue the letter.  Not a problem but then she pulled out a book with pages of circles covered with different colored dots and asked me to tell her the number I saw in the center.  Again she said this was now required.  I passed easily, went back out front and payed 300 baht, a few minutes later I walked out of there with two Certificates, one for each type of license.  I fully expect some of the cheap charlie ex pats to dispute this and tell you just go to one of these doc-in-the-box places and pay only 50 or 100.  Good luck if you choose that when you show up at the DLT.

• Like 1

Oh drat.  No more good stories, like that from a friend where he went to a dermatology clinic or some such quack place with his friend and while he was still fiddling around with his helmet on the motorbike, the friend went in and said that my friend needed a medical certificate for a driver's license.  The lady at the clinic said the applicant (my friend) needed to come into the clinic in person and once he presented the 100 baht in person, he passed the health screening.  Guess you have to be able to walk and give them 100 baht to pass the health screening.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NancyL said:

Oh drat.  No more good stories, like that from a friend where he went to a dermatology clinic or some such quack place with his friend and while he was still fiddling around with his helmet on the motorbike, the friend went in and said that my friend needed a medical certificate for a driver's license.  The lady at the clinic said the applicant (my friend) needed to come into the clinic in person and once he presented the 100 baht in person, he passed the health screening.  Guess you have to be able to walk and give them 100 baht to pass the health screening.

The doctor who examined me at Rajavej Hospital was quite thorough before filling out the medical certificate. Although I did feel a bit deflated when he passed it to me and said "You could lose some weight."

• Haha 1

It would have to be a 'mental' (Or crazy) image for sure.... what Thai ever signals their intention to turn?

Sorry maybe I'm jumping the gun here....you maybe referring to us falang type drivers/riders!?

I should have been more specific.  It is the annex for Chiang Mai Ram Hospital, about 100 meters south of the actual hospital.  The  health check up center, skin care center and Dental center are now located there.  The hospital does provide a golf cart shuttle service, there is also a huge Starbucks and a food court.

8 hours ago, idman said:

I should have been more specific.  It is the annex for Chiang Mai Ram Hospital, about 100 meters south of the actual hospital.  The  health check up center, skin care center and Dental center are now located there.  The hospital does provide a golf cart shuttle service, there is also a huge Starbucks and a food court.

ooh, a food court!  The options at Kad Suan Kaew aren't so good these days since they undertook the basement remodeling project.  Where is the food court in the new CM Ram annex section?  Has the Elvis band moved to their food court?  Do they have beer towers and a Chang girl?  This could be the new elderly expat hangout and good for CM Ram's business.  

Starbucks on your right as you enter from the main road.  Foodcourt about 50 meters in, on the right across from the Skin Care Center and Health Care Center.  As for the rest of innane questions/remarks FRANKLY I dont give a damn.

On 3/8/2018 at 11:08 AM, idman said:

No wonder it's so expensive at 300 baht. I think there are cheaper options

On 3/7/2018 at 3:48 PM, NancyL said:

When I took my medical cert for my first 2 years license, I only had to pay 50 baht for the cert.

I am not sure about the 5 years license, but considering the number of motorcyclists who break all type of traffic rules here, they don't really care as long as the doctor is registered with Thai govt.