Non-O Visa Extension when travelling frequently

Hi,

I know, I know. Another visa extension question! I promise I did read previous posts however I'm still not 100% clear for my situation. I travel for work very frequently, ever 2-3 weeks minimum. My current visa will expire mid April. From what I've read once you have your latest 90 day stamp you can apply for the extension (for marriage in my case) in the last 45 days or so of that 90 day period. However, I will have travelled again and returned with a new 90 day stamp long before that. 

Am I correct in the above?

Thanks,
Peter.

You obtain a re-entry permit during a 90 day stay and return on that.  Re-entry permit can be obtained for any stay - not just extensions.  Obviously after obtaining you would need for your travels and you would have to be in Thailand to get extension 30 days after application so it does take a bit of planning.  

Ahh...OK. So it goes something like this:

1. Obtain a (multiple, since I may have to travel more than once) re-entry permit on my latest 90 day stamp so I can come and go on that without getting another stamp

2. After 45 days from the last stamp apply for the visa extension based on marriage

3. Obtain I guess another 30 day "under consideration" stamp? 

4. Assuming more work travel, obtain another re-entry permit on the 30 day stamp in 3? Or could I just go back to 90 day stamps at this stage on my original visa?

Yes, it does seem to require a crazy level of planning! Out of interest, how long does it normally take to be considered? I'll be applying in Chaeng Wattana.

Thanks, 

Peter.

4. You would need to have to get a re-entry permit for the 30 days..

If you used your visa the new entry would make your extension application invalid because it was applied for your previous entry.

1 hour ago, Peter Aherne said:

4. Assuming more work travel, obtain another re-entry permit on the 30 day stamp in 3? Or could I just go back to 90 day stamps at this stage on my original visa?

Yes, it does seem to require a crazy level of planning! Out of interest, how long does it normally take to be considered? I'll be applying in Chaeng Wattana.

You would need to make application with more than 30 days remaining and be able to pick up extension 30 days after making application.  There is really no advantage to extension, other than perhaps grandfathering, if you are traveling this often - just get another multi entry non immigrant O visa until the frequent travel stops might be a better plan.  

27 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You would need to make application with more than 30 days remaining and be able to pick up extension 30 days after making application.  There is really no advantage to extension, other than perhaps grandfathering, if you are traveling this often - just get another multi entry non immigrant O visa until the frequent travel stops might be a better plan.  

You mean with more than 30 days remaining on the latest 90 day stamp and collect within 30 days of application? 

Grandfathering? A new Non-O will mean another trip on top of my usual work trips and no end in sight to work related travel within the next few years.

at some time you will have to remain in Thailand for 30 days while the consideration period for the 'marriage' extension is processed, this could in certain circumstance be longer than 30 days, and may include home visits and neighbours being spoken to, i would think you have enough income to prove 65,000 baht a month income, and if so then apply for a 'retirement ' extension if over 50, the other solution as alreadty posted would be to keep getting multi entry non imm 'O' visas for Savannakhet, not too hard to find three days every 15 months or so.

Normally you are given a reporting date 30 days later than you need to present passport for the extension to be issued into.  Grandfathering would be if 400k/40k became a higher amount in the future - those in extension system might be able to use the previous 400k/40k.  I would just use multi entry visas if in your shoes as you have the same 30 day wait process each year for extensions.

Hmm, but if I get a re-entry permit on the 30 day "under consideration" stamp then I can continue to travel while waiting, though home visits could be a problem if they need to see me, wife or neighbours no issue. The reason for extending, I don't want to spend 3 days out of the country unnecessarily when I regularly spend spend most of the month away for work anyway :). So let me try a more detailed process, because I think prices will mount up also:

1. Obtain multiple re-entry permit on my latest 90 day stamp so I can still travel for work and get to the 45 day mark to make an application (THB 3,900 I think)

2. After 45 days from the last stamp apply for the visa extension based on marriage (Not sure the application fee - THB 5000?)

3. Obtain I guess another 30 day "under consideration" stamp

4. Another multiple re-entry permit on the 30 day stamp in 3 (THB 3,900)

5. Make sure I'm in Thailand for the reporting date.

Also, I guess extensions allow the route to permanent residency since I also have work-permit while the new visa will kill that.

Cheers,
Peter.

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

i would think you have enough income to prove 65,000 baht a month income, and if so then apply for a 'retirement ' extension if over 50

Yes for part 1, 10 years from part 2 - could consider that a good or a bad thing :smile:

Hmm, but if I get a re-entry permit on the 30 day "under consideration" stamp then I can continue to travel while waiting, though home visits could be a problem if they need to see me, wife or neighbours no issue. The reason for extending, I don't want to spend 3 days out of the country unnecessarily when I regularly spend spend most of the month away for work anyway :). So let me try a more detailed process, because I think prices will mount up also:

1. Obtain multiple re-entry permit on my latest 90 day stamp so I can still travel for work and get to the 45 day mark to make an application (THB 3,900 I think)

2. After 45 days from the last stamp apply for the visa extension based on marriage (Not sure the application fee - THB 5000?)

3. Obtain I guess another 30 day "under consideration" stamp

4. Another multiple re-entry permit on the 30 day stamp in 3 (THB 3,900)

5. Make sure I'm in Thailand for the reporting date.

Also, I guess extensions allow the route to permanent residency since I also have work-permit while the new visa will kill that.

Cheers,
Peter.

Three days once a year.  Better yet let it be a joint vacation and take the wife with you.  Not a good reason in my view to rule out visa as you, and wife, will have to attend immigration at the same time every year for extensions and return with passport 30 day later to get stamp and multi re-entry permit.  It seems unlikely you would be able to do this in the long term with your random work schedule and it would be a serious cause for frustrations.  As for PR that is not in play for most people unless they are working in Thailand.  

25 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

As for PR that is not in play for most people unless they are working in Thailand

which is why I mentioned 

2 hours ago, Peter Aherne said:

route to permanent residency since I also have work-permit

Still not convinced the PR is worth it, but since I'm living here and have the WP don't want to rule it out from the start...

You said you were on a non immigrant O visa and traveled outside Thailand for work so sounded as if you were not employed in Thailand in my reading (most would be on B visa extension of stay).  Sorry.

Perhaps you can arrange with work to set aside a month each year for your extension processing - it seems they are not actively involved in your visa processing if here on a non immigrant O and having to use 90 day visa entry.

Still not convinced the PR is worth it, but since I'm living here and have the WP don't want to rule it out from the start...

If you are married, and meet the requirements for PR, you can save a lot of money by applying for citizenship instead of PR.

About the same requirements, plus being married to a Thai national, of course.

100k vs 1900 baht.