Rabies warning nationwide as infection rates ‘much worse’ than before

webfact

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Colabamumbai said:

I am a responsible dog owner. All soi dogs need to be culled throughout the country.

Well said, the other clown posted "culling wild dogs will not solve the problem" rubbish. In NZ no dogs roam the streets, any that do have 14 days in a pen, there after shot with a 22. No rabies there. Dogs are the main carrier of this disease

I really do have a heart for animals, even for soi dogs, but most of them have a very miserable life. They would be better off being euthanized.

The government should make dog owners pay a hefty 'dog tax' and every dog caught without a dog tag should be taken away.

Close to my area is a very large bushland where people dump their garbage and their dogs, and others are 'feeding' them with leftovers from their lunches incl. plasitic bags and foam containers. Many of them are not the typical Thai soi dogs but pedigree dogs that had been discarded by their owners. It's a shame to see this happen. The situation is getting worse by the weeks and month. All of these dogs are suffering from one or the other sickness.

Unfortunatelly, I only see one way to solve the problem. But this is Thailand, so nothing will be done, nothing ever changes to the better.

Talking to a friend who helps soi dogs she said that that there's no point taking them to the temple at the moment as parvo virus is rampant and dogs are dying of that. At the moment it seems everyday that new dogs are being dumped on the beach here so it's only a matter of time till rabies is here.  

Thai's do not like to kill animals even when their pets are suffering in the pet hospital.  i was told this by a vet at the animal hospital.  they will not euthanize their dog or cat.  doubt if they would be in favor of culling.

3 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

It is not just "domestic" pets that are at issue they have to have an Oral Rabies Vaccine program through bait in the wild to combat the spread of the rabies virus.  The domestic pets are just the tip of the iceberg....  culling soi dogs won't do much, if anything to combat it.

Read the article please! In 60 percent of the cases, the dogs have owners. So, that's not the tip of the iceberg, it IS the iceberg! Dog owners should take responsability!

I can't walk my dogs as there are three packs on my soi alone. A neighbour walks his siberian and is hounded the entire way. I read of a project to neuter stray dogs - that is a practical way forward and our Thai hosts will not euthanise even a terminally ill animal. Don't hold your breath though...

3 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

It is not just "domestic" pets that are at issue they have to have an Oral Rabies Vaccine program through bait in the wild to combat the spread of the rabies virus.  The domestic pets are just the tip of the iceberg....  culling soi dogs won't do much, if anything to combat it.

It was found that 91.3 per cent of infected animals were dogs and 2.03 per cent were cats. Also, 60.25 per cent of infected animals had owners and only 32.61 per cent were strays. The majority of the infected animals did not have vaccination records or only had vague records.

Sorting out the stray dog problem will do a lot not only in rabies prevention but in many other ways. No country can call itself civilised when they allow dogs to roam the public streets.

35 minutes ago, malibukid said:

Thai's do not like to kill animals even when their pets are suffering in the pet hospital.  i was told this by a vet at the animal hospital.  they will not euthanize their dog or cat.  doubt if they would be in favor of culling.

Really?We have a dog that is really suffering and we have asked for help at at least 10 veterinary places,they will not put an animal to sleep.They will let it suffer until it dies of misery.

Many vets have offered to help our dog but all they want to do is more tests and make more money.

one reason why there are so many dogs chucked out on the street IS money grabbing,greedy, unskilled vets who are charging exorbitant prices for medication,we recently lost our beloved husky after 3yrs.of being scamed by so called vets,just recently we were charged 20bht.for a tablet that we could buy retail at the pharmacy for 4bht.so that is one reason thais can not afford to pay their outrageous prices,so there fore they get dumped anywhere.there are some people who are working day and night to give them shelter,to honour our beloved we visited one of these shelters to see if we can help,where a husband and wife who have a secure place with over 200 dogs nearly all have been dumped there by their owners.

its just like everything else in this country NOTHING gets done until its too late.and where do the money GO that's provided every yr.for rabies control.OH DEAR I HAVE FORGOT.

"A team of volunteers vaccinates a stray dog" You have got hold of it, destroy it and solve the problem. Having the stray dog, spending money on vaccinating it, then letting it go is one the most idiotic things I have seen in Thailand.

55 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

Talking to a friend who helps soi dogs she said that that there's no point taking them to the temple at the moment as parvo virus is rampant and dogs are dying of that. At the moment it seems everyday that new dogs are being dumped on the beach here so it's only a matter of time till rabies is here.  

Take them to the temple? They will end up drug addicts! I suppose it will give the monks another money making scam.

1 hour ago, Jingjock said:

Well said, the other clown posted "culling wild dogs will not solve the problem" rubbish. In NZ no dogs roam the streets, any that do have 14 days in a pen, there after shot with a 22. No rabies there. Dogs are the main carrier of this disease

New Zealand has never had rabies, nothing to do with rounding up strays and killing them as exactly zero chance of any of them having rabies.

And dogs are not the main carrier, bats are.

17 hours ago, zzidenn said:

grab a few dogs and have them vaccinated..that’s better than big words and “good advice”

What and get bitten, where I live Pattaya, the dogs chase us bike riders often. Cull them all before it gets out of hand

3 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Dead dogs do not spread rabies though and there is not enough vaccine or time to inoculate around 4 million soi dogs. Killing them is the best way to control rabies but they will not do it, we know the main reason why! Meanwhile the spread of this terrible disease will go on causing untold misery.

This statement is not entirely true, if the infected dogs are buried in a shallow grave the rabies can spread from the body of the animal if it is eaten by other animals, the best method is cremation; Jomtien area is getting more & more dangerous from packs (8 to 16 dogs in each pack) of dogs roaming the back roads.

You try your best not to be cynical, stay positive, understand the culture.  Take a drive some night through the countryside, through a village....even a fair sized city.  What do you see on every road, every soi?  Dogs.  Luckily Lyme disease or some other tick/flea infectious disease  hasn't hit Thailand hard....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_dogs_in_Thailand

3 hours ago, Colabamumbai said:

I am a responsible dog owner. All soi dogs need to be culled throughout the country.

Good then I assume you will pay the bill.  I have no issues with soi dogs as long as they're not vicious.  

Unfortunately I can't say the same for most expats who come here expecting high quality living for $1 and expect the same social services available in more developed countries.

...this could have been prevented....

...the first step would have been admitting to the flagrant stray dog problem....

...sadly some people see them as a meal ticket to a better life next time around....

...no matter what a vile scoundrel you might be and no matter what slew of sins you might commit....

...regular or sporadic feeding of stray dogs is your salvation......

...satu.....

...duhh...

4 hours ago, geisha said:

Wild dogs and a  country full of trash and dirty sea water. Tragic road accidents every day of the week killing innocent people. No action taken over all these years, and this is the result. 

These and many other issues are down to education,intelligence and culture.

6 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Seems to be dogs in towns that are attacking people and infecting..soi dogs.....as gunderhill stated..cull them...then go after the source.

That's 'farang' thinking!   :post-4641-1156693976:

Just same as drug dealers and other criminals, authorities too often seem satisfied to cull only the low hanging fruit. :sad:

4 hours ago, jvs said:

Really?We have a dog that is really suffering and we have asked for help at at least 10 veterinary places,they will not put an animal to sleep.They will let it suffer until it dies of misery.

Many vets have offered to help our dog but all they want to do is more tests and make more money.

exactly, it's called supportive  care/suffering.  The Small Animal Hospital in CM agreed to euthanize my cat.  it's a very tough heart breaking decision, but it is the best  gift you can give your beloved friend.

Until Thailnd gets the trophy for having the most rabid dogs in the world, nothing will change.

The idea that they should not cull off at least some of the soi dogs, is disturbing. Lets just hear of a few

rich and important and powerful people getting rabies,then things would change over night, but not as long as it is just normal people dying from dog bites etc, nothing will ever change. Sad when you think

about it, a little.

Geezer

Archived