Rabies warning nationwide as infection rates ‘much worse’ than before

webfact

Always an interesting debate - there is evidence that dogs were domesticated around 40000 years ago - a long time. 

Humans have basically genetically engineered dogs over the centuries to give the vast range of dogs we have today- from a chihuahua to a StBernard. 

It is us enlightened humans who are responsible for the population of dogs roaming the streets - we put them there- it is not the dogs fault

So to those who seem to want to snuff out the lives of these sentinent creatures - shame on you - support the charities trying to vaccinate and sterilise. They have a right to live just as much as you do. 

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just like most surveys done in this country, why should we believe that more dogs that have become

infected have owners? I have seen many dogs lying dead in many parts of this country, and do they get checked to see what they died of, Not a chance.! So I do not believe the sruvey onnthis matter any more than the TAT survey that says Tourism in Thailand is improving by leaps and bounds, when anyone living or visiting here for more than a month can see that it certainly has not.

Geezer

5 hours ago, Charlie1 said:

Read the article please! In 60 percent of the cases, the dogs have owners. So, that's not the tip of the iceberg, it IS the iceberg! Dog owners should take responsability!

Think for a moment.  

This article is about REPORTED cases of rabies.  It is more likely that the owner of a pet dog would see its ill and take it to a vet.. where it was diagnosed with rabies.. which is then reported.

How many cases in the street dog population go unreported?  They just get so bad and go off to die somewhere out of sight. Little chance of anyone taking them to a vet, or collecting dead dogs to go have blood tests!!!!  

I was told by a Thai doctor (when I went to get my anti rabies vaccinations after being bitten by a street dog) that there are a lot more cases of animals with rabies that go unreported than are reported.. as local authorities are trying to hide the true figures as it will make them look bad... remember they are trying to achieve the goal to eliminate rabies.

I could imagine that even if all the street dogs were running about foaming at the mouth killing people like some kind of dog zombies the Thai people still would not kill them.  

4 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

Always an interesting debate - there is evidence that dogs were domesticated around 40000 years ago - a long time. 

Humans have basically genetically engineered dogs over the centuries to give the vast range of dogs we have today- from a chihuahua to a StBernard. 

It is us enlightened humans who are responsible for the population of dogs roaming the streets - we put them there- it is not the dogs fault

So to those who seem to want to snuff out the lives of these sentinent creatures - shame on you - support the charities trying to vaccinate and sterilise. They have a right to live just as much as you do. 

So do the cows, chickens and fish you are probably eating today, and the worms and bugs that are killed from pesticides on your vegetables and fruit.  

Yes, SOME humans are responsible for the street dogs... but they are in the monority.  Those who are responsible for the diseased suffering and rabid dogs are the very people who say they love dogs.. go out and feed then, waste time and money of ineffective sterilisation, and do nothing to cull the number of them.

9 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

It is not just "domestic" pets that are at issue they have to have an Oral Rabies Vaccine program through bait in the wild to combat the spread of the rabies virus.  The domestic pets are just the tip of the iceberg....  culling soi dogs won't do much, if anything to combat it.

Probably save more lives by them not  running into the road  causing accidents for folk on motorbikes than the rabies problem.

8 hours ago, Colabamumbai said:

I am a responsible dog owner. All soi dogs need to be culled throughout the country.

Thank  you, I like dogs  but what they are doing here is  just plain stupid ,cruel and inhumane, have you seen a  soi dog  look healthy if its more than a  few  years old? they go through stages in the village  here, cute  puppy stage  , this phase doesn't last  long, they look reasonable for about a year then into terminal decline with hair  missing, scratching riffing themselves some even lose the  use of their back legs and drag themselves round the village.... but the Thai "love  dogs".

NO  dog  lover would "take care" of  a dog  like this.

8 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Thais believe in reincarnation. I'm not sure if this is true but they believe that the dogs may be relatives that did something bad in their previous life and have been reincarnated as a dog and need to be looked after. The thing about this is that the dogs would have to be good to be reincarnated back to human form. This of course is pure anthropomorphism as good and bad are human constructs. Still religion/superstitions are hard nuts to crack with logic and Thais will continue to feed these strays. 

For the most part, if a dog with a collar bites you, good luck with trying to find the owner. However, if you accidentally hit a dog wearing a collar with your car/motor bike, isn't it funny how the owner seems to appear from thin air, and the dog suddenly becomes the Thai equivalent of Crufts Best of Breed Champion? 

2 hours ago, jak2002003 said:
7 hours ago, Charlie1 said:

the article please! In 60 percent of the cases, the dogs have owners. So, that's not the tip of the iceberg, it IS the iceberg! Dog owners should take responsability!

Sorry I read the article and yes 60 % are dog with owner but they haven't tjek all the soi dogs if they do that the numbers will change dramatically this is a very serious problem and to your dog lovers just keep doing what you think best for your dog's just hope you not get sick but donate money to vaccine is not going to fix the problem more people will die in this year and nobody can't control it if the dog's continue to run free and stop being so human and give soi dogs food it increases rat pollution why not give food to homeless poor people na

People are double moral 

9 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Its hardly their fault, there is nothing they can do with an animal given to them but take care of it, its written that they must.

How come they were turning away dogs at the temple i went to ended up having them put down .. yes they refused 

2 hours ago, malibukid said:

Thai's do not like to kill animals even when their pets are suffering in the pet hospital.  i was told this by a vet at the animal hospital.  they will not euthanize their dog or cat.  doubt if they would be in favor of culling.

They don't seem to mind it if it's meat they can eat and killed very cruelly in villages, as long as somebody else does it of course! Offer 30 baht a dead dog carcass brought in and their beliefs will go out of the window!

2 hours ago, parryhandy said:

free vaccinations for all dogs on our housing estate in Khon Kaen last week. Great service. We had our 5 dogs done and they each got little badges for their collars to show they've been done.

Well that is all very well and good.  But these are you pets and your responsibility so of course this should be the norm.  However, the more serious problem comes from the street dogs... which far outnumber the pampered pets... and which post the real threat.... 

4 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Lets just hear of a few rich and important and powerful people getting rabies,then things would change over night, but not as long as it is just normal people dying from dog bites etc, nothing will ever change.

Yup, same with road trauma, unfortunately.

13 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

This wild dog thing is totally out of control

in Thailand.

Time for 85% of them to die.

And stop feeding them for Christ sake !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :bah:

That's what many say about expats here. 

How about you <deleted> & dog haters start doing something positive rather than your constant bickering & badgering. 

Gather up some Soi dogs & take them to a vet to get vaccinated/nuertured! Im sure you can afford it more than the Thai locals can!

Do some good for once rather than sit on your <deleted> & complain!

Or is that too much to ask of you?

19 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Dead dogs do not spread rabies though and there is not enough vaccine or time to inoculate around 4 million soi dogs. Killing them is the best way to control rabies but they will not do it, we know the main reason why! Meanwhile the spread of this terrible disease will go on causing untold misery.

Dead dogs don't spread rabies -- but they are the front line.  The dog gets it by coming in contact with another non-domesticated animal and gets attacked - which means they get sick from the rabies virus.  It is like killing off a keystone species - there are knock, so yes you might not have that rabid dog - but the dog did not come in the first contact with that mouse, rat, squirrel, raccoon or something else.  So that rabid non-domesticated other animal is now there and will come in contact with someone else during while it is suffering from that rabid insanity.  The end result is the rabies virus is still in the wild, it will still get transmitted - just not from the dog that was the first to get into a fight with it.  Maybe it will be a cat who comes in contact with it (few people in the west force cats to stay inside all the time), maybe a rat, maybe a mouse... 

In a country, half the size of Thailand (population-wise) Canada has around 8 million cats, 6 million dogs (I think the cat population is vastly understated) - the vast majority of the those are vaccinated - and no shortage of vaccine as someone seemed to think.  There are also programs in major cities to control the feral cat population through cat/neuter and release programs.  In rabies hotspots, there is an Oral Rabies Vaccine through bait program as well to attempt to keep the lid on the rabies outbreak. 

There is also an education system in place that makes everyone aware that if you get bitten by an animal of unknown pedigree (i.e. you don't know if they have been vaccinated), that you get a preventative immunization shot (you could get immunized beforehand - but the cost-benefit of taking the human immunization shots at thousands of dollars per not typically implemented; some foreign postings do require you to get it before though).  

So yes, you can get rid of 4 million soi dogs -- but the rabies outbreak will still be there -- you just have a lot of dead dogs.

20 hours ago, madmitch said:

Although I am in favour of a cull, I do appreciate the work done by the Soi Dogs Foundation in Phuket; it at least helps to control numbers. 

But what about cats? Cats are as big a problem as dogs in carrying rabies and whereas the soi dogs near me seem to have reduced in numbers, the number of feral cats has grown rapidly.And they've been known to bite. 

Yes I too have noticed now that in the  village and others round here more and more  cats, require even less  "care"  than the  dogs and will soon start to decimate the wildlife such as birds, again thoughtless   people, however the same problem exists in the UK with cats now outnumbering dogs as they are the lazy-mans  pet.

I live in hope that the cats may control the now rampant pigeon population also.

21 hours ago, oldlakey said:

Calm down man there has only been three deaths so far

Things will will have to warm up a bit more than that

By Rabies sure, how about  killed  by dogs  running into the road ie  motorbikes or cars and associated  deaths  hitting a  person or killing themselves, I bet that's never  recorded.

5 hours ago, SpicyMeatball said:

How about you <deleted> & dog haters start doing something positive rather than your constant bickering & badgering. 

Gather up some Soi dogs & take them to a vet to get vaccinated/nuertured! Im sure you can afford it more than the Thai locals can!

Do some good for once rather than sit on your <deleted> & complain!

Or is that too much to ask of you?

The  locals  seem to be able to afford to feed them though, therefore they are responsible for them.

12 hours ago, sambum said:

For the most part, if a dog with a collar bites you, good luck with trying to find the owner. However, if you accidentally hit a dog wearing a collar with your car/motor bike, isn't it funny how the owner seems to appear from thin air, and the dog suddenly becomes the Thai equivalent of Crufts Best of Breed Champion? 

Easily  countered with "ah so you are the owner of this dog, good I'll be needing recompense for the damage it has  caused to my vehicle" at this  point they will change their  minds no doubt.

12 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

They don't seem to mind it if it's meat they can eat and killed very cruelly in villages, as long as somebody else does it of course! Offer 30 baht a dead dog carcass brought in and their beliefs will go out of the window!

Perhaps we should be notifying Premchai:biggrin:

23 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

It is not just "domestic" pets that are at issue they have to have an Oral Rabies Vaccine program through bait in the wild to combat the spread of the rabies virus.  The domestic pets are just the tip of the iceberg....  culling soi dogs won't do much, if anything to combat it.

I tend to agree.... the ones that are easily caught and friendly are not suffering from rabies. And those that are not are too far along to be helped and need culling.

Likely we need a lot more deaths or at least human infections before it is taken seriously. The country does seem tolerant of human deaths as the road carnage seems to indicate.

Surely soi dogs simply need to be removed and only domestic owned pets accepted... not that they aren't also a nuisance for many.

59 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

By Rabies sure, how about  killed  by dogs  running into the road ie  motorbikes or cars and associated  deaths  hitting a  person or killing themselves, I bet that's never  recorded.

In the 21st century any deaths from such a nasty but easily controlled disease 

is unacceptable 

Dogs in  general in Thailand are a bad joke 

I dont know whats worse the dogs, the feeders, the muppets who neglect them or the authorities who ignore them

Whatever its all coming home to roost 

37 m tourist and rampant rabies now what could possible go wrong

Just a general point my tongue is more often than not in my cheek where Thaivisa is concerned, thats the best policy for me

I was not having a go Honest it was just me being me

This wild dog thing is totally out of control

in Thailand.

Time for 85% of them to die.

And stop feeding them for Christ sake !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :bah:

11 hours ago, Ebumbu said:

That's what many say about expats here. 

Try not to post,  when your still pissed up.  

Archived