Rabies warning nationwide as infection rates ‘much worse’ than before

webfact

If I was to take a guess....  

Rabies, and also Tetanus, would have to be listed among the top 10 worse ways to die. Certainly NOT an easy, peaceful death, and not fast and instant. 

Biggest recommendation I could make.... get pre-vaccinated..(I did)... Then, if you get exposed, you will not need to get the Rabies Immune Globulin which is hard to find in some areas,... and you won't need so many shots of vaccine.  Just two extra booster shots in your arm.  Being pre-vaccinated will also give you more time...an extra day or two... to get to a clinic or hospital were they can give you the two extra shots.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

So yes, you can get rid of 4 million soi dogs -- but the rabies outbreak will still be there -- you just have a lot of dead dogs.

But it is still a numbers game - the less carriers of the disease then the less chance of a human being infected. :coffee1:

4 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

But it is still a numbers game - the less carriers of the disease then the less chance of a human being infected. :coffee1:

Get the pre-exposure vaccination series of three shots, as explained above. If exposed later by bite or whatever, you will need only a further two shots of the vaccine, and you won't need Rabies Immune Globulin. 

On 09/03/2018 at 8:27 AM, dinsdale said:

Thais believe in reincarnation. I'm not sure if this is true but they believe that the dogs may be relatives that did something bad in their previous life and have been reincarnated as a dog and need to be looked after. The thing about this is that the dogs would have to be good to be reincarnated back to human form. This of course is pure anthropomorphism as good and bad are human constructs. Still religion/superstitions are hard nuts to crack with logic and Thais will continue to feed these strays. 

So get rid of the BS superstitions too. Even the catholics take steps.

3 People killed by rabies.

But how many motorists and motor cyclists killed by dogs. It must be a big number!

In the  last 2 years I have hit 2 dogs on the road and know of 1 person killed by a dog causing him to crash his motor bike. Does anyone have any more information or statistics on road accidents caused by dogs.

JH

I'm so tired of these 'kill all soi dogs' posts - by those that really should be living in their own countries, where killing anything that causes a possible problem to people is routine...

I also used to despise those who came out with 'the argument' - if you don't like living here, go home.  But I've come to realise they're mostly right.

Assuming that rabies is becoming more prevalent, the local authorities need to provide 'squads' to go out and administer the vaccines to soi and owned dogs.  Don't make the mistake of thinking that most Thais will be happy about just killing them - as others have pointed out, even the vast majority of vets (presumably educated!) will refuse to euthanise suffering, dying pets....

59 minutes ago, jhtvac said:

But how many motorists and motor cyclists killed by dogs. It must be a big number!

In the  last 2 years I have hit 2 dogs on the road and know of 1 person killed by a dog causing him to crash his motor bike. Does anyone have any more information or statistics on road accidents caused by dogs.

JH

Wow - really???

Clearly we live in entirely different areas.  :smile: 

11 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I'm so tired of these 'kill all soi dogs' posts - by those that really should be living in their own countries, where killing anything that causes a possible problem to people is routine...

I also used to despise those who came out with 'the argument' - if you don't like living here, go home.  But I've come to realise they're mostly right.

Assuming that rabies is becoming more prevalent, the local authorities need to provide 'squads' to go out and administer the vaccines to soi and owned dogs.  Don't make the mistake of thinking that most Thais will be happy about just killing them - as others have pointed out, even the vast majority of vets (presumably educated!) will refuse to euthanise suffering, dying pets....

Fully agree!!!!! Here are so many sick minded people.

11 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

7 hours ago, lvr181 said:

Sick minded people solving problems by killing….and for them doesn't really matter whom  to kill…

1 hour ago, jhtvac said:

JH

Next offer from those killing lovers will be to kill drivers or riders….who else? Disgusting!

On 09/03/2018 at 7:39 AM, stanleycoin said:

This wild dog thing is totally out of control

in Thailand.

Time for 85% of them to die.

And stop feeding them for Christ sake !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :bah:

Hear, hear, kill them. I have a 14 month baby and the amount of times I've had dogs growling at her is frightening. Chines guy lives by me opens his gate at night and lets his two vicious dogs run around the estate for a couple of hours.

7 hours ago, Catoni said:

If I was to take a guess....  

Rabies, and also Tetanus, would have to be listed among the top 10 worse ways to die. Certainly NOT an easy, peaceful death, and not fast and instant. 

Biggest recommendation I could make.... get pre-vaccinated..(I did)... Then, if you get exposed, you will not need to get the Rabies Immune Globulin which is hard to find in some areas,... and you won't need so many shots of vaccine.  Just two extra booster shots in your arm.  Being pre-vaccinated will also give you more time...an extra day or two... to get to a clinic or hospital were they can give you the two extra shots.

But the doctor told me this only applies for five years

4 minutes ago, dilloss said:

Hear, hear, kill them. I have a 14 month baby and the amount of times I've had dogs growling at her is frightening. Chines guy lives by me opens his gate at night and lets his two vicious dogs run around the estate for a couple of hours.

Go back to your country!!!!! 

25 minutes ago, midas said:

But the doctor told me this only applies for five years

You should check the WHO (World Health Organization) website and the CDC website. (Center for Disease Control in Atlanta, Georgia.)    There are also other organizations that specialize in disease vaccines. 

I would go by them before any local individual doctor.

But, according to the CDC "Yellow Book"..  "Travelers who have completed a 3-dose preexposure rabies immunization series or have received the full PEP are considered previously vaccinated, and do not require routine boosters." 

However, if exposed to rabies through a bite or otherwise, you do need the follow on two shots of Rabies vaccine. 

If you are greatly interested in diseases and vaccines for travel in the world, or for just at home, you can purchase the CDC Health Information for Travelers "Yellow Book" 2018 edition as a downloaded app for smart phones or iPod Touch.

It's a bit pricy, but I figured it was worth the cost to me, so I have it to refer to now.

On 3/9/2018 at 8:31 AM, oldlakey said:

Calm down man there has only been three deaths so far

Things will will have to warm up a bit more than that

As in a Hi-So needs to get bitten. Week after that they'd have special discounts on dog meat in Vietnam.

1 hour ago, CRticarica said:

Sick minded people solving problems by killing….and for them doesn't really matter whom  to kill…

Next offer from those killing lovers will be to kill drivers or riders….who else? Disgusting!

You're 'disgusting' suggesting they're killer lovers! 

What benefit do you see to humanity (and the animal kingdom) by allowing diseased carrying animals to be 'protected'? They are a threat not only to their own kind but also others.

12 hours ago, gunderhill said:

The  locals  seem to be able to afford to feed them though, therefore they are responsible for them.

Right. Turn the other cheek & look away but make sure to bitch & complain that nothing is being done. 

If you cant help to solve the problem, you are the problem.

50 minutes ago, SpicyMeatball said:

Right. Turn the other cheek & look away but make sure to bitch & complain that nothing is being done. 

If you cant help to solve the problem, you are the problem.

I believe he already offered a  solution to solve the problem but it wasn't to your approval.

On 3/9/2018 at 5:39 AM, gunderhill said:

Cull em, stop the stupidity of "making merit" by feeding them. won't  happen, stupid  is as  stupid does, make  it  illegal to have a dog  out on the  loose  anywhere unless leashed.

Many Thai dog  "owners" are  irresponsible they say they take care  but its  just laughable, throwing out a  bowl of  rice for these mangy things is a  joke.

I don`t think starving them to death is the solution. :post-4641-1156693976:

On 3/10/2018 at 3:45 AM, bkkcanuck8 said:

So yes, you can get rid of 4 million soi dogs -- but the rabies outbreak will still be there -- you just have a lot of dead dogs.

A lot of people in Thailand live in urban areas. In those areas one does not generally come across feral animals other than dogs & cats who from the OP are the major carriers of rabies. Getting rid (rehousing/culling) of the millions of dogs and cats roaming the streets in those area will do a lot for rabies control in those areas. It will also help reduce road accidents, clean up the streets, reduce attacks on humans, etc. The benefits of proper animal control are many the downsides of just letting them roam free are also many. For those that like to make merit by feeding dogs & cats alternative solutions can be found.

. For those that like to make merit by feeding dogs & cats alternative solutions can be found.

They could go feed the animals at the impound ,by donating time or money to the impound,cleaning up the poop on the street and childrens playgrounds or helping out the poeple who have been bitten or crashed their motorcycle due to animals running into the road.

On 3/9/2018 at 9:48 AM, maximillian said:

I really do have a heart for animals, even for soi dogs, but most of them have a very miserable life. They would be better off being euthanized.

The government should make dog owners pay a hefty 'dog tax' and every dog caught without a dog tag should be taken away.

Close to my area is a very large bushland where people dump their garbage and their dogs, and others are 'feeding' them with leftovers from their lunches incl. plasitic bags and foam containers. Many of them are not the typical Thai soi dogs but pedigree dogs that had been discarded by their owners. It's a shame to see this happen. The situation is getting worse by the weeks and month. All of these dogs are suffering from one or the other sickness.

Unfortunatelly, I only see one way to solve the problem. But this is Thailand, so nothing will be done, nothing ever changes to the better.

I agree. I am trying to think what has improved in 10 years here in phuket. I can only think of all the things that have gone down hill.

I am being honest.its really become filthy dirty here. The locals are not bothered. Its not a soi dog hot spot but there are many.

If rabies is here then its just 1 more dark spot on this filthy island.

2 hours ago, Keesters said:

A lot of people in Thailand live in urban areas. In those areas one does not generally come across feral animals other than dogs & cats who from the OP are the major carriers of rabies. Getting rid (rehousing/culling) of the millions of dogs and cats roaming the streets in those area will do a lot for rabies control in those areas. It will also help reduce road accidents, clean up the streets, reduce attacks on humans, etc. The benefits of proper animal control are many the downsides of just letting them roam free are also many. For those that like to make merit by feeding dogs & cats alternative solutions can be found.

There are probably millions of people in Thailand who can't exercise properly because of the stray and/or feral dogs. I used to be more of a runner, here I am restricted to cycling, as most of these pests seem to be somewhat deterred by the pedals. To my great satisfaction my shift to clipless pedals has proven successful, I managed to shave off a significant chunk of a muzzle with my right cleat. Still rejoice in the subsequent squealing...

Just now, KiChakayan said:

There are probably millions of people in Thailand who can't exercise properly because of the stray and/or feral dogs. I used to be more of a runner, here I am restricted to cycling, as most of these pests seem to be somewhat deterred by the pedals. To my great satisfaction my shift to clipless pedals has proven successful, I managed to shave off a significant chunk of a muzzle with my right cleat. Still rejoice in the subsequent squealing...

I agree with you insofar as dogs can be a problem for runners/cyclists/walkers etc., as quite a few enjoy 'chasing'.

Even so, most soi dogs need to conserve their energy and behave as amicably as possible towards people - in the hope of being given food.

It's nearly always owned dogs that chase/behave territoriality during the day.  It may well be different at night though?

But this is off-topic.  If rabies is becoming more prevalent, the authorities need to organise 'teams' to provide free rabies vaccinations in all areas, so that the poor can easily have their dogs/cats vaccinated.  A free 'tag' identifying that the dog/cat has been vaccinated would also be a good idea, as it would not only provide 'kudos' to the owner, but also enable the team to identify un-vaccinated dogs - and vaccinate them.

Rabies is very difficult to eradicate as it's mostly carried by wild animals, but education on the subject and vaccinating are a great start.

3 hours ago, Keesters said:

I don't know about you, but I've never come across a rabid dog or cat?  Perhaps many of them were rabid, but just not showing any symptoms? :laugh:

But then again I'm lucky to live in a (nowadays, and so far) rabies free area.

The op has made me realise it's time to be less blase on the subject, and hope the authorities resume the free vaccination programmes for the poor Thais that have pets.

22 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I agree with you insofar as dogs can be a problem for runners/cyclists/walkers etc., as quite a few enjoy 'chasing'.

Even so, most soi dogs need to conserve their energy and behave as amicably as possible towards people - in the hope of being given food.

It's nearly always owned dogs that chase/behave territoriality during the day.  It may well be different at night though?

But this is off-topic.  If rabies is becoming more prevalent, the authorities need to organise 'teams' to provide free rabies vaccinations in all areas, so that the poor can easily have their dogs/cats vaccinated.  A free 'tag' identifying that the dog/cat has been vaccinated would also be a good idea, as it would not only provide 'kudos' to the owner, but also enable the team to identify un-vaccinated dogs - and vaccinate them.

Rabies is very difficult to eradicate as it's mostly carried by wild animals, but education on the subject and vaccinating are a great start.

Why overcomplicating the issue. Cats are not a problem, as they will never get near humans they are not acquainted with. Dogs either have an owner or are either stay or feral. It is quite simple, feral and stray animals are a public health issue, the only cost effective manner to address this issue is elimination. The cost of elimination can be somewhat lower if the carcasses are recycled for food, pet food or Vietnam.

Anything else just doesn't make sense.

Archived