is round trip required for no visa entry?

hi Gentlemen, 

ok, I booked a single ticket with thai airways to Bangkok from europe. Very excited to be back in a warm country and walk with flip flop.

I have NO visa. getting a thai visa where i am now would be very expensive because I am far from any thai embassy. 

my goal is to enter Thailand for 30 days and get a 30 days extension , then I will go to Lao for border run only.

Or do I need a round trip ticket showing that I'm leaving Thailand when I arrive first time in Thailand? (been there many times, but this time I didn't buy any return ticket as I am thinking to stay long term(5 months) and get a retirement visa at 50), in this case what about Cambodia? any info how to do that? (visa for Cambodia? cheap hotel??).I could just buy one way with Air Asia Bangkok to Cambodia capital or Malaysia..

I could get a  tourist visa in Cambodgia at the Thai embassy. and back in Thailand after 2 or 3 days

All info welcome. 

Edited by 50soon
typo

You may not be asked for anything, but in the event that you are, it is much better to have an onward ticket.  In some cases, the airline will not let you on the flight to Thailand on a one way ticket unless you can show a ticketed onward or return itinerary. 

You mention you are going to do a “boarder run”. What I suggest is that you do a “visa run” and obtain a visa at a consulate.  The most logical place to do that in your situation is probably Vientiane, Laos.  So, I would suggest buying your airline ticket to VTE  now, scheduled for the last day of your visa exempt entry.  That will be your proof of onward travel, and it will not go to waste as you will actually use that ticket for your visa run.

• Like 2

I am in a similar situation but have a ticket out to Vietnam - but only after 58 days after arrival (because I would like as well to apply for an extension after entering without visa).

Would this be acceptable or does the ticket out has to be within 30 days even if you intend to extend ?

What do you write on the arrival card with my ticket out in 58 days - length of stay 30 days or 58 days ?

I assume I get only 30 days granted but could explain the intention to extend.

And I could of course buy just some ticket to somewhere within 30 days and then never go, but I dont know if this is necessary at all.

7 hours ago, BritTim said:

You do not need a return ticket, but you will likely need an onward flight ticket out of Thailand. The airline at check in is likely (at least initially) to insist on this (although, if you get that far, Thai immigration is very unlikely to ask to see your onward flight reservation). Depending on your appearance, and the airline involved, the airline supervisor may waive the requirement for an onward flight reservation. You may need to sign an indemnity form, promising to reimburse the airline for any costs they incur should you be denied entry to Thailand, before being allowed to check in with no visa or onward flight reservation.

The OP needs to be very careful about this advice because I have been reading an increasing number of reports that some airlines have been changing their policy regarding those that have no visa and require not an onward flight ticket but a return to the country from which the passport is issued. I guess it will depend on which airline OP is using.

Edited by midas

18 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The airline would want a ticket out of the country within 30 days of arrival.

It does not really matter how many days you put on the arrival card. I would put 30 days since that is how long you will get.

I suggest you be prepared to need a ticket out within 30 days. Either in hand or to purchase one.

Thanks, helpful as always.

So, for the whole roundtrip that means:

1. Flight ZH-BKK with a ticket in the pocket out of the country within 30 days to wherever - never using it, 30 days on arrival card

2. Extension at Jomtien Immigrations for a total of 58 days stay in Thailand

3. Application via net to Vietnam Embassy to get the letter necessary to present to be granted a 30 day visa on arrival

4. Flight to Vietnam from BKK with a total stay of 28 days

5. Flight to BKK with a ticket in the pocket out of the country within 30 days to wherever - never using it, 30 days on arrival card

6. Extension at Jomtien Immigration for a total of 57 days stay in Thailand

7. Flight back to Zurich

My previous stay was also on visa exempt on December 24, 2017, staying 29 days.

I say that because I have heard (it is on some embassies websites) that stay on visa exempt may be limited to either 90 days within a time frame of 180 days or as the London embassy states limited to 3 entries within 180 days. If the first one is true, then I would need to fly back from Vietnam to Zurich directly, if 3 entries are allowed I would be just fine to complete the whole trip Thailand 58 days, Vietnam 28 days, Thailand 57 days

Information is so inconsistent here that I would like to ask for your opinion. I do not want to be stuck somewhere before the immigration counter, while my wife waits at the other side.

56 minutes ago, midas said:

The OP needs to be very careful about this advice because I have been reading an increasing number of reports that some airlines have been changing their policy regarding those that have no visa and require not an onward flight ticket but a return to the country from which the passport is issued. I guess it will depend on which airline OP is using.

Please show any links to those reports.

Edited by stevenl

15 minutes ago, moogradod said:

I say that because I have heard (it is on some embassies websites) that stay on visa exempt may be limited to either 90 days within a time frame of 180 days or as the London embassy states limited to 3 entries within 180 days. If the first one is true, then I would need to fly back from Vietnam to Zurich directly, if 3 entries are allowed I would be just fine to complete the whole trip Thailand 58 days, Vietnam 28 days, Thailand 57 days

Your plan looks OK.

There are no rules limiting the number of days or entries you can have when getting visa exempt entries. The only rule is a limit of 2 per calendar year at land border crossings.

The 90 days in 6 months rule was recinded in 2008. The other one mentioned has never existed.

I flew from BKK to Singapore for Air Show. Used different airline for return due to schedule and price. Was questioned on out going flight why no return ticket. Explained and off I went. 

4 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Typically in US if you book a one way ticket your red flagged to be questioned by TSA. 

"Typically", really?

Been here from US 4 times. Last time was 1 year ago. Never been asked for onward ticket. 3 times had only one way. American Airlines, and affiliate international (Korean Air, Quatar, Air Asia). No visa upon arrival. Maybe red flagged (source?), but ticket agent hardly ever, if ever, cares about a "red flag". TSA, (f this is true), is probably getting kickback from airlines to say this/put it in writing, whatever.

While the advice to be prepared with onward ticket is perhaps still good advice, I'm beginning to think the airlines are picking up on this (reading these forums).  They are simply making tons of money for useless unused tickets. Thai customs has never asked me either. Even during "high risk" times when there was a supposed crackdown on visa requirements, foreigners entering w/o "enough" money to stay,   terrorist threat level increased, etc.

It's a scam. And you will lose your money. But for some, the peace of mind is better. But again, if airlines are seeing these warnings on forums, they are smiling. Perhaps a movement in the opposite direction by travelers will stop this corrupt nonsense. Of course, if Thai officials start checking (per Thai "rules"), and I've never been asked once to show proof, what can you do? :)

Nonetheless, peace of mind, for now, may be more valuable.

11 minutes ago, rdhowell said:

"Typically", really?

Been here from US 4 times. Last time was 1 year ago. Never been asked for onward ticket. 3 times had only one way. American Airlines, and affiliate international (Korean Air, Quatar, Air Asia). No visa upon arrival. Maybe red flagged (source?), but ticket agent hardly ever, if ever, cares about a "red flag". TSA, (f this is true), is probably getting kickback from airlines to say this/put it in writing, whatever.

While the advice to be prepared with onward ticket is perhaps still good advice, I'm beginning to think the airlines are picking up on this (reading these forums).  They are simply making tons of money for useless unused tickets. Thai customs has never asked me either. Even during "high risk" times when there was a supposed crackdown on visa requirements, foreigners entering w/o "enough" money to stay,   terrorist threat level increased, etc.

It's a scam. And you will lose your money. But for some, the peace of mind is better. But again, if airlines are seeing these warnings on forums, they are smiling. Perhaps a movement in the opposite direction by travelers will stop this corrupt nonsense. Of course, if Thai officials start checking (per Thai "rules"), and I've never been asked once to show proof, what can you do? :)

Yes, for some peace of mind, knowing they are abiding by the rules, can be really important.

A scam, no.

7 hours ago, midas said:

If the check in staff misread the IATA recommendations, you need to escalate to a supervisor. No airline (that I know of) has a return flight rule. They all just implement the IATA regulation requiring an onward flight out of Thailand if entering visa exempt.

In the past I was never asked.  This year and last year two separate airlines insisted I had an onward flight.  Go onto Airasia and book a ticket to KL.  Even if you dont use it, if you book in advance you should only be looking at $50.  Consider it part of your plane ticket here.

14 minutes ago, yourauntbob said:

In the past I was never asked.  This year and last year two separate airlines insisted I had an onward flight.  Go onto Airasia and book a ticket to KL.  Even if you dont use it, if you book in advance you should only be looking at $50.  Consider it part of your plane ticket here.

Flights to Yangon on AA, NOK or Lion are usually little more than half of what KL flights cost - cheaper option for a throw-away ticket

I don’t like throwing away money of any amount if I can avoid it. If you do your homework, there are ways to buy fully refundable tickets, reducing the cost to zero.

Also, if you have air miles at your disposal, check to see what kind of a cancellation policy the airline has. That can be a way of getting pro forma tickets easily.

If you do book through LCCs like Air Asia, the taxes and fee portion of the tickets can be refunded to you upon cancellation (either in the form of a credit toward future tickets, or back to the original form of payment).

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

what I could do is just book a flight  from bkk to cambodia with air asia   if airline ask me a flight ticket out of thailand at check in , I can just buy at the airport but  I have never been asked at thai immigration anyway as I have many stamps and never been denied entering thailand (an immigration officer told me in 2017 I can re-enter Thailand with no visa if I wanted, he checked on his computer and in my passport before I left Thailand last time ).

A friend of mine I go visit could write me an email in Thai to show to Air Asia staff.

I believe all  they want to see is If I have enough cash to pay myself a flight ticket back in case I have problem or being denied entry with immigration. If you have money (credit card or else) I don't think they will make any problems...

What do you think? 

Edited by 50soon
typo

6 hours ago, yourauntbob said:

what airlines?

On 3/9/2018 at 3:54 PM, DJ54 said:

Typically in US if you book a one way ticket your red flagged to be questioned by TSA. 

"Typically", really?

• Like 1

Perhaps "scam" is throwing you off. It's a rip-off. If the reasons behind this "requirement" were as serious as stated in writing by both airlines and (in this case Thailand) immigration, fully 90+% of travelers would NOT be boarding without any agent checking for onward ticket. And Thai immigration WOULD be requiring proof of ability to leave before visa ends.

Moreover, what about the other written requirements? You "must" have enough money to support yourself by immigration rules. Never been asked to show money, bank account, or anything. You "must" have proof of local address where staying. Never been asked for proof of that either. Local address where you are staying? Put down an invalid address, you will pass through no problem. No checks.

This is simple math folks; it's a rip-off, scam, corruption.

Want more proof from sources if the obviousness of it is too difficult to see?

I will supply.

I don't know the "rules" in Canada or Eva Airlines. But if it were me, I would have pushed back. Show her my non-O. But also I would have thanked her for following the"rules", as these people are probably underpaid, overworked, worried about getting into trouble with the boss, etc. I am not an @$$.  But I hate big business, big pharma, corrupt politicians, you name it - stealing, lying, et Al. And will call them out and make them pay if I possibly can.

ok guys, I will try to board with only one way ticket and  statement of my bank and letter of invitation for Thailand .

I was asked one day in the  USA by custom why I didn't have a return flight, I said I will book later as I will go visit another state and I showed them my several bank cards and they let me enter after being scolded that with under the visa waiver rule  I need a return ticket within 90 days. But at this time I was young (30 yo).

I guess if it was a requirement to have a return ticket absolutely for Thailand , the airline would ask for document before buying a flight. anyway, I will stop to stress about it.

Thank you for your comments.

It’s definitely at the discretion of airline employees and immigration to even ask about it, so there is no clear cut answer. In the worst case scenario, just use your smartphone to purchase any onward ticket and show it to them. It can even be a cheap throw away ticket on a low cost carrier to a neighboring country.

I have flown on one way tickets to Thailand countless times and have never been asked. However, I always fly in premium cabins, usually on Thai Airways, so that could be why I haven’t been subject to that scrutiny.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rdhowell said:

I don't know the "rules" in Canada or Eva Airlines. But if it were me, I would have pushed back. Show her my non-O. But also I would have thanked her for following the"rules", as these people are probably underpaid, overworked, worried about getting into trouble with the boss, etc. I am not an @$$.  But I hate big business, big pharma, corrupt politicians, you name it - stealing, lying, et Al. And will call them out and make them pay if I possibly can.

With visa there is no onward ticket requirement.