is round trip required for no visa entry?

4 hours ago, 50soon said:

ok guys, I will try to board with only one way ticket and  statement of my bank and letter of invitation for Thailand .

I was asked one day in the  USA by custom why I didn't have a return flight, I said I will book later as I will go visit another state and I showed them my several bank cards and they let me enter after being scolded that with under the visa waiver rule  I need a return ticket within 90 days. But at this time I was young (30 yo).

I guess if it was a requirement to have a return ticket absolutely for Thailand , the airline would ask for document before buying a flight. anyway, I will stop to stress about it.

Thank you for your comments.

Probably the best way solution (unless you're rich and have money to throw away!). See this:

"So here’s the issue: technically speaking, immigration could deny you entry to a country for a range of different reasons. If that were to happen, the airline would be liable for flying you back to your point of origin. That’s why airlines can sometimes get a little fussy when you’re trying to fly on a single ticket. Even though they sold you a one way ticket, once you actually get to the check-in desk they might start to ask you about your return ticket or proof of onward travel. That’s because they don’t want to risk having to take you back if there’s any issues at all at immigration..." (Like you mentioned, sold you one-way anyhow? Could be to hold you up and force you to buy round-trip knowing you are desperate = $$$ for them? Hmmmm)

"...a few times I’ve flown on an intercontinental flight one-way. Once, when flying with Virgin Airlines one-way from London to Mexico, I was actually asked about why I didn’t have a return. I explained to the lady at check-in that I was a backpacker going on a longer trip, and I don’t yet know when I was going back. I also said that I was planning to be in Mexico for about 60 days (the visa-on-arrival gives you 90 days). This was enough for her to drop the subject, and she promptly checked me in."

Finally: "There were two times when I had some actual issues. Once was when flying one-way from Singapore to the Philippines with AirAsia. I was told that immigration requires proof of onward travel. There were only 15 minutes left until check-in would close, so I ran around looking for an internet cafe at the airport, and then booked the cheapest possible flight out of the Philippines with AirAsia just in the nick of time. It cost about 30 Euros, and I booked it not actually expecting to use it (and I ultimately didn’t). Showing this booking let me get on the flight with no further questions asked."

So maybe get there early and look up a cheap flight on your phone/laptop to Kuala Lumpur ($60-70) and be ready to purchase in a few minutes if a problem so you don't miss flight. Just show them on your phone will be proof enough. Otherwise, call me from the airport as I am close to an immigration official who has pulled many strings for me here. (Just kidding about the call, wouldn't be allowed on this forum to give my number). :)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, rdhowell said:

Probably the best way solution (unless you're rich and have money to throw away!). See this:

"So here’s the issue: technically speaking, immigration could deny you entry to a country for a range of different reasons. If that were to happen, the airline would be liable for flying you back to your point of origin. That’s why airlines can sometimes get a little fussy when you’re trying to fly on a single ticket. Even though they sold you a one way ticket, once you actually get to the check-in desk they might start to ask you about your return ticket or proof of onward travel. That’s because they don’t want to risk having to take you back if there’s any issues at all at immigration..." (Like you mentioned, sold you one-way anyhow? Could be to hold you up and force you to buy round-trip knowing you are desperate = $$$ for them? Hmmmm)

"...a few times I’ve flown on an intercontinental flight one-way. Once, when flying with Virgin Airlines one-way from London to Mexico, I was actually asked about why I didn’t have a return. I explained to the lady at check-in that I was a backpacker going on a longer trip, and I don’t yet know when I was going back. I also said that I was planning to be in Mexico for about 60 days (the visa-on-arrival gives you 90 days). This was enough for her to drop the subject, and she promptly checked me in."

Finally: "There were two times when I had some actual issues. Once was when flying one-way from Singapore to the Philippines with AirAsia. I was told that immigration requires proof of onward travel. There were only 15 minutes left until check-in would close, so I ran around looking for an internet cafe at the airport, and then booked the cheapest possible flight out of the Philippines with AirAsia just in the nick of time. It cost about 30 Euros, and I booked it not actually expecting to use it (and I ultimately didn’t). Showing this booking let me get on the flight with no further questions asked."

So maybe get there early and look up a cheap flight on your phone/laptop to Kuala Lumpur ($60-70) and be ready to purchase in a few minutes if a problem so you don't miss flight. Just show them on your phone will be proof enough. Otherwise, call me from the airport as I am close to an immigration official who has pulled many strings for me here. (Just kidding about the call, wouldn't be allowed on this forum to give my number). :)

They sell you one way because an onward ticket is only required if you want a visa exempt entry. And even if visa exempt, they dont know if you have any other ticket.

• Like 2

I disagree. As mentioned, airlines "require" proof of ability to leave country. Regardless. Please show proof otherwise. In fact, airlines are "contracted" with foreign government s to accept cost of returning traveler.Marketing ploy. BUT, the airline has to sue the customer for reimbursement. Civil. Not criminal.

If they don't know if you have another ticket, why not? Show ticket. Done deal.

Hi everyone, so to sum up if flying into Thailand without a visa,  I should have an onward flight ticket prepared to show the immigration officer,  the 20,000 baht is not sufficient enough?  Sorry if this was answered already.

I am flying out of Vietnam to Thailand soon without a visa and don't want to have any problems. Thanks to all! 

1 hour ago, oldskoolbeatz said:

Hi everyone, so to sum up if flying into Thailand without a visa,  I should have an onward flight ticket prepared to show the immigration officer,  the 20,000 baht is not sufficient enough?  Sorry if this was answered already.

I am flying out of Vietnam to Thailand soon without a visa and don't want to have any problems. Thanks to all! 

The airline at check in may insist on the onward ticket (good chance they will not for a regional flight from Vietnam) but immigration is very unlikely to ask for one. If you have spent a lot of time in Thailand on tourist entries, I suggest (in addition to the cash) you have printed copies of bank statements from overseas, showing your ability to live in Thailand without working.

• Like 1

The onward ticket will give you peace of mind, but like previous poster said, unlikely anyone will ask. As far as 20,000 baht, same here. Peace of mind. A bank statement I see no need for, but if you have time, I guess more peace of mind. (Where does the bank statement requirement enter the picture, oldskoolneatz?) Not questioning your accuracy, just want to look that up. Thanks.

1 hour ago, rdhowell said:

Where does the bank statement requirement enter the picture

When entering visa exempt, you really do need to be fully aware of the reasons immigration can use to deny you entry. While the 20,000 baht (actually 10,000 for visa exempt) in cash meets the requirement under Section 12 (9) "Having no money or bond as prescribed by the Minister", there is still the possibility the immigration official can deny you entry under Section 12 (2) "Having no appropriate means of living following entrance into the Kingdom". Showing a healthy bank balance (preferably in a foreign bank account) makes it difficult for them to claim this.

On 3/9/2018 at 2:08 PM, moogradod said:

I am in a similar situation but have a ticket out to Vietnam - but only after 58 days after arrival (because I would like as well to apply for an extension after entering without visa).

Would this be acceptable or does the ticket out has to be within 30 days even if you intend to extend ?

What do you write on the arrival card with my ticket out in 58 days - length of stay 30 days or 58 days ?

I assume I get only 30 days granted but could explain the intention to extend.

And I could of course buy just some ticket to somewhere within 30 days and then never go, but I dont know if this is necessary at all.

I don't think that you will have an issue with Thailand immigration, as they probably won't ask for it. The problem may arise at check-in or boarding, so better check in advance with your airline.

7 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

Many airlines let you cancel a flight within 24 hours with no cancellation fee. So, you could book a flight from Thailand to ...... just before you takeoff, or even at a stopover.

Really, dream on   Are you deluded or a dreamer. You may manage that if you fly business class, and I say MAY. But LCC carriers or cheap economy tickets on regular airlines, I challenge you to prove it ! Misinformation on such a site as this can be very very dangerous.

Really, dream on   Are you deluded or a dreamer. You may manage that if you fly business class, and I say MAY. But LCC carriers or cheap economy tickets on regular airlines, I challenge you to prove it ! Misinformation on such a site as this can be very very dangerous.

It isn’t misinformation. If you do your homework there are plenty of major airlines with fully refundable tickets. Of course you have to have sufficient money and/or available lines of credit to momentarily purchase an expensive ticket. But the actual cost is zero after subsequently refunding/cancelling.

I will not post any examples for the airlines’ sake, but they do exist. They ain’t low cost carriers though, for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

One more thing — airline refunds are not instant. In the best cases, it may take a few days, while in some cases it takes weeks or over a month to get the refund.

I just wanted to mention this to warn anyone who may try this that while you will get the money back, you will temporarily be out of pocket the price of a full fare ticket. (Or, if you have sufficient available credit, the money may never leave your pocket at all).

Just a word of warning to anyone on a tight budget. Do not try this method if the purchase will cause cash flow problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 3/14/2018 at 10:49 AM, oldskoolbeatz said:

If departing from SGN, my experience is THAI never check for proof of onward/return ticket or visa/re-entry but Air Asia always do. I'm not sure about Vietnam Airlines or Vietjet.

It isn't a hard and fast rule but I find LCC's are much stricter on this point. A cynic might say that any reason to kick you off and resell the seat works for them.

If departing from SGN, my experience is THAI never check for proof of onward/return ticket or visa/re-entry but Air Asia always do. I'm not sure about Vietnam Airlines or Vietjet.

It isn't a hard and fast rule but I find LCC's are much stricter on this point. A cynic might say that any reason to kick you off and resell the seat works for them.

The real problem could occur upon arrival if Immigration asked to see it.

If applying for a visa and asked at the consulate, that’s another problem one may encounter.

Thanks everyone,  so I am flying to Thailand from HCMC on the 19th April with AirAsia.  I will buy a cheap one way ticket to Vientiene Laos just incase they ask for it at check in or immigration want to see it. This along with 20,000b should be ok?  I will be staying with the girlfriend then travelling around different parts of Thailand.  I have a long history of visa exempts in my passport so a little worried something might happen. 

Thanks to all! 

It would be a lot safer if flying into Don Muang if you have an actual tourist visa, not just ask for visa exempt entry. If determined to do so, besides the onward flight ticket and cash, also carry printouts demonstrating your finances, and ability to live in Thailand for significant periods without working. Following changes to regulations in mid 2014, immigration has a lot of discretion in denying entry to those using visa exempt entries to spend long periods in Thailand.

...just to muddy the waters, i don't have a visa and i flew LON-BKK (via MUM) with Jet Airways a month ago on a single ticket. I didn't have an onward flight. No questions were asked.

I should mention that i got to checkin as soon as it opened and was prepared to by a cheap onward flight airasia.com should i have been refused boarding 

Edited by russianrobert

Just last night (22/March) at HKG flying RJ to BKK I was asked 'where is your outbound ticket from Thailand.'

Fortunately, I pointed out my existing TE thus was cleared through.

This is, however, the FIRST time in HKG after transiting their multiple occasions. And have also been asked, in the past 18 months, in CEB and CTS.

• Sad 1

Thanks everyone,  so I am flying to Thailand from HCMC on the 19th April with AirAsia.  I will buy a cheap one way ticket to Vientiene Laos just incase they ask for it at check in or immigration want to see it. This along with 20,000b should be ok?  I will be staying with the girlfriend then travelling around different parts of Thailand.  I have a long history of visa exempts in my passport so a little worried something might happen. 

Thanks to all! 

I would not risk a visa exempt entry. You should get a tourist visa in Ho Chi Minh regardless of length of stay.

If possible, I would suggest flying into BKK instead of DMK. Vietnam Airlines has low fares if ticketing in advance.

On 3/9/2018 at 2:43 PM, midas said:

some airlines have been changing their policy regarding those that have no visa and require not an onward flight ticket but a return to the country from which the passport is issued

If encountering this with an IATA affiliated airline, insist upon talking to a supervisor and pointing out the IATA recommendations. There is no need for a return ticket to home country when trying to enter Thailand, because deportation (as opposed to denied entry) with the airline responsible will never happen. Be polite but insistent, and sign the airline's indemnity form if necessary.

With low cost carriers who are not IATA affiliated, anything is possible, I guess. However, I have not personally had this kind of untoward experience you describe with an LCC.

Thank you BritTim,  I have money coming in from China to my Paypal account,  I am certianly not rich but I have enough to get by.  Would copies of this, along with 20,000b in cash and flight ticket out in 20 days be ok? Thanks again

Edited by oldskoolbeatz

Thank you BritTim,  I have money coming in from China to my Paypal account,  I am certianly not rich but I have enough to get by.  Would copies of this, along with 20,000b in cash and flight ticket out in 20 days be ok? Thanks again

Statements of your accounts showing how you fund your stays in Thailand are important. The purpose is to satisfy immigration that you are not working illegally.

Again, if you have many entries, I highly suggest getting a tourist visa in Ho Chi Minh. The reason: it’s more difficult for IOs to refuse entry if you have a visa. It is much easier for them to deny someone visa exempt entry.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, oldskoolbeatz said:

My view is the same as that expressed above by @Soneva. Get a visa if possible. If entering visa exempt, be prepared with full documentation to convince immigration they should not exercise their discretion to deny you entry.

Hello, I'm having a problem and hope I'm in the right thread to get help. I'm German. I entered Thailand via air and got the Visa Exempt for 30 days. I extended this for 30 days, so now I'm here for almost 2 months already. Now I'd like to stay another month and so I'm thinking about my options. As I hear, Visa Runs to get the 30 day stamp seem almost impossible these days. So, my current idea is to fly to Cambodia (Phnom Penh) for a few days (I was thinking 5 nights) as I wanted to visit there anyway and then fly back to Bangkok to get another Visa Exempt. Can anyone tell me the chances of this working out? Would be very much appreciated.

4 hours ago, Brian92 said:

Hello, I'm having a problem and hope I'm in the right thread to get help. I'm German. I entered Thailand via air and got the Visa Exempt for 30 days. I extended this for 30 days, so now I'm here for almost 2 months already. Now I'd like to stay another month and so I'm thinking about my options. As I hear, Visa Runs to get the 30 day stamp seem almost impossible these days. So, my current idea is to fly to Cambodia (Phnom Penh) for a few days (I was thinking 5 nights) as I wanted to visit there anyway and then fly back to Bangkok to get another Visa Exempt. Can anyone tell me the chances of this working out? Would be very much appreciated.

You can do a border hop by land to get a fresh visa exempt entry. However, by land, this is strictly limited to two times per calendar year. If you are sure the visa exempt entry you want will be the last you need this year, I would suggest just using a land crossing. If you are unsure of your future plans, go to Vientiane, and get an actual tourist visa. You will only need to stay one night in Vientiane to accomplish this.

Visa exempt entries by air are actually more risky now (assuming you stay within the by land twice per year limit) than visa exempt entries at land crossings. That said, if you want to spend a few days in Phnom Penh, and getting a tourist visa there is inconvenient (sometimes the case, as it takes longer than at other places in the region) you are likely to be OK entering visa exempt again by air.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BritTim said:

You can do a border hop by land to get a fresh visa exempt entry. However, by land, this is strictly limited to two times per calendar year. If you are sure the visa exempt entry you want will be the last you need this year, I would suggest just using a land crossing. If you are unsure of your future plans, go to Vientiane, and get an actual tourist visa. You will only need to stay one night in Vientiane to accomplish this.

Visa exempt entries by air are actually more risky now (assuming you stay within the by land twice per year limit) than visa exempt entries at land crossings. That said, if you want to spend a few days in Phnom Penh, and getting a tourist visa there is inconvenient (sometimes the case, as it takes longer than at other places in the region) you are likely to be OK entering visa exempt again by air.

Thank you for your answer. However, I don't understand you 100%. Could you please elaborate the following a little bit more? I can do a border hop? You mean like I can go to Cambodia and come back within one day? That's what I planned originally but seems like it's not possible anymore. The two times per year limit on land crossings would not be a problem, I never did that before. Can you tell me why visa exempt entries by air are more risky now? Thank you.

10 hours ago, BritTim said:

My view is the same as that expressed above by @Soneva. Get a visa if possible. If entering visa exempt, be prepared with full documentation to convince immigration they should not exercise their discretion to deny you entry.

Thank you all,   I will have the necessary documents to show.  In the worst case, I get refused entry will I be allowed to fly to any neighbouring country of my choice?  Or willl I have to fly to the country of my passport?  Thanks so much

Edited by oldskoolbeatz

2 hours ago, Brian92 said:

I can do a border hop? You mean like I can go to Cambodia and come back within one day?

Yes, you can - twice per calendar year - any land border except the Poipet/Aranyaprathet crossing.

Can you tell me why visa exempt entries by air are more risky now?

The staff at airport-immigration checkpoints do not like longer-staying foreigners, and will look for ways to prevent them from successfully entering the country.  IOs have more legal-justification, per specific ministerial orders, to reject entry for those attempting to enter Visa Exempt - versus those entering with a Tourist Visa. 

We have many reports of people arriving, showing they have the required funds, but being rejected-entry to spite this - either accused of "coming to work illegally" (without proof of this) or "not having sufficient funds to support themselves" after entry - in some cases, to spite having the required entry-cash and/or with IOs refusing to even look at their financial documents.

The same has also occurred, but much less frequently, to those entering with Tourist Visas.  If one is a frequent or longer-staying visitor to Thailand, for whom a Tourist-type entry is the only viable option, the only 100% safe way to avoid this problem is to enter the country via land-borders other than Poipet/Aranyaprathet (which has IOs similar to the airports), or possibly Chang Mai airport, for which we do not have horror-reports of denials of entry. 

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

That's what I planned originally but seems like it's not possible anymore.

Who is telling you that. It is is certainly possible. Since the 2 the entry rule went into effect last year it has actually gotten. easier,