Phuket Governor order to widen Chalong underpass lanes jeopardises fast lane for ambulances

webfact

Phuket Governor order to widen Chalong underpass lanes jeopardises fast lane for ambulances

The Phuket News

1520506093_1-org.jpg

Traffic jams south of Chalong Circle regularly reach up to 1.5km long. Photo: Rawai Municipality

PHUKET: Work will begin tonight to widen the lanes past the construction site of the Chalong Underpass to relieve huge traffic jams following an order by Phuket Governor Norraphat Plodthong during an inspection visit this morning (Mar 8).

The barriers in front of Muang Phuket School will be removed first, Thongchai Chuchoet, project engineer of contractor Civil Engineering Co Ltd, confirmed to The Phuket News this afternoon.

“After that, we will see whether the traffic is better or not and then we will remove the barriers at other barriers to help relieve traffic congestion,” he said.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-governor-order-to-widen-chalong-underpass-lanes-jeopardises-fast-lane-for-ambulances-66272.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-03-09

Unless they open additional lanes on the other side of the circle it'll have very little effect.

But where is the urgency? I drove past at 7:30 this morning and not a single person was working on the site, at least on the Homepro side, I don't know about the Rawai side.

I thought they'd promised increased activity, or did I imagine this? They should be working 24/7 but I suppose floodlights aren't in the budget.

• Like 1

Today not a workman to be had on Rawai side. Right now exiting off roundabout to Rawai has space for 3-4 lanes, while the exit from Rawai onto roundabout is a single lane. That's really holding things up over the previous set-up with 2 lanes joining the roundabout. Crazy tailbacks right now, 

Coming from Rawai was really bad the last few days due to only one narrow lane exiting onto the circle. Today 2 wider lanes, and even at 17.00 hours, normally a busy time, I could drive straight through.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Coming from Rawai was really bad the last few days due to only one narrow lane exiting onto the circle. Today 2 wider lanes, and even at 17.00 hours, normally a busy time, I could drive straight through.

Same, came back from Nai Harn in the afternoon and was no traffic backed up at all, probably won't last but was a nice surprise.

24 minutes ago, beechbum said:

Same, came back from Nai Harn in the afternoon and was no traffic backed up at all, probably won't last but was a nice surprise.

With the additional lane and wider it may well last.