Best Sandwich Shoppe In Pattaya?

Nam Plah

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never had the pleasure to try on of these delights in LOS, they look like they could come with a guarantee of food poisoning.

You should give them a try... Been eating from the Kebab stalls for years and never been sick from them.. I know a lot of people who eat them often and never heard of anyone getting food poisoning from them.

I worked at a 5 star hotel as a school kid purely making sandwiches of the highest quality, and there isnt one place ive been to in LOS that even comes close to them.

Anyone who likes Subway when not drunk needs their taste buds testing, Deli France is an absolute rip off something like 100bht extra if you want a slice of cheese in your ham sandwich though the bread is the best in Patts.

The one id go to which isnt the best but passes the test is Au bon pain at the Avenue.

True. After all, 99 % pct. of the Sandwiches are way overpriced compared with local Foods.

My first choice will be Au bon pain. Second is Subway (@ Carrefour is the best). Other than that I just normally goes to GAFAE (near Tuk-com), where I can have both good coffee and sandwich together. Their Tuna Melt sandwich is my favorite.

For me, the bread/roll is the most important component of a sandwich. My pick for best sandwich is also near TukCom, but I would pick Grottino Gourmet Bakery, near the Flamingo Hotel. They have great bread, meats and cheese. You're not going to be served a lot of condiments to bury those great ingredients, just some onions, tomato and lettuce, with mustard and mayo on the table.

032.jpg

028.jpg

026.jpg

Looks good! Does Grottino do takeaways? Don't know Flamingo Hotel, where is it relative to Tukcom?

Hard to beat the daily 59 baht specials from Subway though. (hint: get them to toast the bread, yummy!)

Edited by Phil Conners

Looks good! Does Grottino do takeaways? Don't know Flamingo Hotel, where is it relative to Tukcom?

Hard to beat the daily 59 baht specials from Subway though. (hint: get them to toast the bread, yummy!)

I'm sure you can get take-aways. I don't rate Subway very high, but their bread has improved from the time the restaurant chain was founded.

Grottino is tucked away south of Tukcom in an area that I call the gourmet ghetto. There are several good restaurants at this intersection, like Renoir's, Salt & Pepper, etc. Here's a link, and you can see the Grottino sign on the left across the intersection.

pattaya photo guide link

Italian ham and tomato ciabatta - 105 baht from Segafredo. Basement level of Central (beach side)

I think the best sandwich I have had in Pattaya. The coffee is also very good. I used to be a Starbucks regular before this place opened.

Italian ham and tomato ciabatta - 105 baht from Segafredo. Basement level of Central (beach side)

I think the best sandwich I have had in Pattaya. The coffee is also very good. I used to be a Starbucks regular before this place opened.

I want to try that one.......also the ham sandwich at Grottino's mentioned earlier.

Six sandwiches I miss:

1) Gyros (real Greek style)

2) Italian sub (maybe Grottino's or Segafredo's actually makes good ones)

3) Corned beef on rye

4) Texas BBQ made w/ brisket (smoked 16 hours)

5) Real grilled hamburger (made with ground sirloin)

6) Real Philadelphia Cheese Steak sub

Yes, I have tried many different places.......but can't find one that I like....some places you have to search the sandwich with a microscope to find the meat.

Subway.......well, the regional manager has done a good job upgrading it.......I still eat there but mainly because I have not found an alternative (subs too small with almost no meat and too expensive)

In the states I like Quiznos over Subway.

They toast'em to cheese bubbly, crispy perfection.

I agree. I don't know if subway has gone downhill but I just had one and it was absolutely terrible. All bread and not so good at that. They must have put on the thinnest sliced meats and vegetables I have ever seen.

I really don't understand how they do any business. People must believe they will lose weight or something.

I remember the Russian gymnasts never ate bread so they could keep a leaner body. Amazing what marketing can do.

I think the Boulange Bakery on 3rd road between pattaya klang and pattaya nua is also one of the best ham/cheese subs around...65 baht....there was a thread awhile back on this place...just great and you can have your car/bike washed next door while you enjoy your sandwich

Hello Thai Visa Forum,

I attended your get together the other night at the Pattaya Beer Garden and had a great time and met some of you. I thought I would take this opportunity to let you know more about what I do in Pattaya, partially because of what I see, or don't see in your form about sandwich shops, and partially from the interest shown at the get together.

My name is Peter and I operate the Subs-N-Suds Sandwich Shop on Soi Yamato. We serve American style subs and sandwiches of about 70 varieties or so. We have been in business about 5 years, selling food about 3.5 years now. We are open 24 hours and have free delivery in the pattaya area and we are also listed in the WOW and Door-2-Door delivery services menus.

Here is our current menu for your review:

post-42066-1247456920_thumb.jpg

post-42066-1247456992_thumb.jpg

Thanks from myself and the entire staff of Subs-N-Suds.

I checked your menu. Pretty large selection. I also checked your PRICES, they're pretty large also. Convert those prices to

U.S. dollars..........You've gotta be out of your mind. I'll bet you do a land-office business with the Thais, rushing in to buy your product. The Que of Thais alone would keep me away. I do hope your wages to your help are reflected by your prices.....but I doubt it. Lotsa' luck, you're gonna' need it. :)

I checked your menu. Pretty large selection. I also checked your PRICES, they're pretty large also. Convert those prices to

U.S. dollars..........You've gotta be out of your mind. I'll bet you do a land-office business with the Thais, rushing in to buy your product. The Que of Thais alone would keep me away. I do hope your wages to your help are reflected by your prices.....but I doubt it. Lotsa' luck, you're gonna' need it. :)

Is this some sort of secret code? i am sorry i do not understand?

U.S. dollars..........You've gotta be out of your mind. I'll bet you do a land-office business with the Thais, rushing in to buy your product. The Que of Thais alone would keep me away. I do hope your wages to your help are reflected by your prices.....but I doubt it. Lotsa' luck, you're gonna' need it. :D

The Original Cheap Charlie! :)

Six sandwiches I miss:

1) Gyros (real Greek style)

2) Italian sub (maybe Grottino's or Segafredo's actually makes good ones)

3) Corned beef on rye

4) Texas BBQ made w/ brisket (smoked 16 hours)

5) Real grilled hamburger (made with ground sirloin)

I could never get my head around this one. Why do the Yanks insist on calling it a Hamburger when they are generally made from Beef?

6) Real Philadelphia Cheese Steak sub

Now you're talking !!!!

:)

Why do the Yanks insist on calling it a Hamburger when they are generally made from Beef?

Its a German thing, as in Hamburg Germany. It does not refer to ham. However when a hamburger is made of something else, it is called by its meat source, such as turkey burger or veggie burger. Lots of Germanic influences in American culture.

Wiki

* 1802 - Oxford English Dictionary defines "Hamburg Steak", a chopped or ground meat dish and probable antecedent to the sandwich. "Hamburger" in the sense we now use it may derive from Hamburg, New York, but ultimately from Hamburg, Germany. [2]

* 1885 - Frank and Charles Menches, at the Buffalo Fair (now the Erie County Fair) in Hamburg, New York. "The hamburger, as the story goes, was born when Frank and Charles Menches, brothers from Ohio who traveled to fairs around the nation, ran out of sausage for their regular sandwich. When a local butcher couldn’t serve up replacement sausage, the brothers instead accepted ground beef. The Menches brothers added spices to the ground beef, “including coffee beans and brown sugar, and other ingredients that remain a secret, except for the Menches brothers and family." [3]

* 1885 - Charlie Nagreen, Seymour Fair. Charles "Hamburger Charlie" Nagreen was an American claimant to the title of inventor of the hamburger [4]. Born in Hortonville, Wisconsin, at 15 Nagreen was a vendor at the 1885 Seymour Fair.[5] After not experiencing success selling meatballs, he had an idea.[5][6] Knowing that the visitors to the fair would be hungry after gazing at the exhibits but wouldn't be able to walk and eat, he smashed a meatball and placed it between two slices of bread.[5] His idea was a success and he returned every year until his death in 1951.[5] The name of the Hamburger came from the idea of "Hamburg steak", or ground beef.[5] Since this was a popular item in Seymour at the time of the 1885 fair, Nagreen decided to call the sandwich the "Hamburger."[5][ * "[5][citation needed].

* 1900 - Louis' Lunch, New Haven, Connecticut.[7] Louis' Lunch has been selling steak and hamburger since 1895 when Louis Lassen opened his lunch wagon [8][9]. This small establishment, which advertises itself as the oldest hamburger restaurant in the U.S., is credited by some with having invented the classic American hamburger when Louis sandwiched a pattie between two pieces of white toast for a busy office worker in 1900 [10]. Louis' Lunch flame broils the hamburgers in the original 1898 Bridge & Beach vertical cast iron gas stoves using locally patented steel wire gridirons to hold the hamburgers in place during cooking U.S. Patent #2,148,879 [11]. In 1974, The New York Times published a story about Louis' Lunch claiming to have invented the hamburger. The U.S. Library of Congress American Folklife Center Local Legacies Project website credits Louis' Lunch as the maker of America's first hamburger and steak sandwich. The hamburger is still served today on two pieces of toast and not a bun [12].

Edited by Jingthing

The term "hamburger" either came from the name of the city, or that the patty was made from ground pork. So German immigrants (some from Hamburg) brought a ground pork steak to America and it evolved into the "hamburger", a ground beef patty served on a bun.

Sounds logical but I think you are wrong. Ham does not ham in German.

The term "hamburger" either came from the name of the city, or that the patty was made from ground pork. So German immigrants (some from Hamburg) brought a ground pork steak to America and it evolved into the "hamburger", a ground beef patty served on a bun.

Correct, ham is Schinken in German, but it was Americans who came up with the name "Hamburger" and not the German immigrants.

Correct, ham is Schinken in German, but it was Americans who came up with the name "Hamburger" and not the German immigrants.

Not buying it. Burger is a German root word also. There is no way this came from native English speakers.

Not buying it. Burger is a German root word also. There is no way this came from native English speakers.

But Burg in German means town or village. Thus, Burger is a villager, or a town citizen. Nothing to do with food. I believe the Germans now use the word "burger" to refer to a patty that can be cooked, but this is probably an adaptation from the English word. Still, hamburger could refer to the immigrants from Hamburg who brought the ground pork steak to America, and this would be consistent with the German definition of burger, a resident of Hamburg. I only posted what I have read are the two possible explanations for the etymology of the word "hamburger". I'm sure there are people with more German language expertise on this board, but I did study German for 7 years.

I bet you a Big Mac there was some guy named Fritz involved in all this.

I could see how Hamburger could have been some kind of slang for German immigrants. Where are you from? Hamburg. You are a Hamburger.

Edited by Jingthing

• 10 months later...
Hello Thai Visa Forum,

I attended your get together the other night at the Pattaya Beer Garden and had a great time and met some of you. I thought I would take this opportunity to let you know more about what I do in Pattaya, partially because of what I see, or don't see in your form about sandwich shops, and partially from the interest shown at the get together.

My name is Peter and I operate the Subs-N-Suds Sandwich Shop on Soi Yamato. We serve American style subs and sandwiches of about 70 varieties or so. We have been in business about 5 years, selling food about 3.5 years now. We are open 24 hours and have free delivery in the pattaya area and we are also listed in the WOW and Door-2-Door delivery services menus.

The prices at this place are quite a bit more these days I noticed. Here is their current prices.

http://wowpattaya.com/restaurant.aspx?id=3000

Those of you that were outraged before will have a heart attack now. I had a reuben from them and it was okay but very small for the price of 325.

That being said the guy has been in business awhile, so he must be doing something right.

The best sandwich shop I know of in Asia is Fatboy Subs in Phnom Penh. I wish they would open a branch in Thailand.

Hello Thai Visa Forum,

The prices at this place are quite a bit more these days I noticed. Here is their current prices.

http://wowpattaya.com/restaurant.aspx?id=3000

Those of you that were outraged before will have a heart attack now. I had a reuben from them and it was okay but very small for the price of 325.

That being said the guy has been in business awhile, so he must be doing something right.

The best sandwich shop I know of in Asia is Fatboy Subs in Phnom Penh. I wish they would open a branch in Thailand.

US$10- for a meatloaf sandwich? Whoa...

We can make TWO large meatloafs, with potatoes,vegetables and french bread, at home and feed a lotta friends for about 35% less money...! (Sorry, but that's how my mind works) Anyway, guess I'll head over to FoodMart, for a 65 baht fresh baguette sandwich, feeling a bit hungry now... (Sorry, S & S.)

:)

US$10- for a meatloaf sandwich? Whoa...

It depends on how good they taste and the size of the sub. They do look pricey, but if the quality is superior to other places it might be worth it. They are positively cheap compared to the Hard Rock Cafe!