Lifan B250 AFTER 6 YEARS? What is the verdict?

The Lifan V250B    I have been the proud owner of one of these bikes since April 2013. I can honestly say that I was surprised at the bikes abilities and the looks it gets. I have had a few minor griefs about the bike which I will outline here. If anyone has had experience of the bike please post your comments. If you don't have or didn't the bike and just want to have a go then try driving it first.

The bike overall is a sturdy bike and performs well enough. It is a copy apparently of the Yamaha Virago V250 although with the cheaper plastic which as I will explain is not all that bad. Made in Thailand with a very good parts distribution depot although they could do with an english speaker on the parts section. I have parked the bike in a few areas like the Mall motorcycle park only to return and find someone has moved the bike and bashed the headlight off a rail and such like. I have found that the replacement parts are reasonable enough to purchase and replace. Whereas the Yamaha metal versions are nice but rust and are expensive to repair or replace. The clutch is not as refined as it should be and the gear shift does not move into neutral easily. However although a niggle this is something I got used to and it poses little problems. The one that I am most concerned with are the tyres. I do not rate the tyres at all and I replaced the front tyre with a Michelin. However I was not able to find a decent brand replacement for the rear as it not a standard size which is a big oversight by the manufacturer. If anyone knows where to get such an item in Bangkok I would be grateful. I would recommend to anyone contemplating a purchase to test drive the bike you are buying and make sure everything is working ok and all nuts are tight. Waterproofing the electrical switch controls at the handlebars is highly recommended if you intend to power wash the bike. A change of oil every 2000 to 3000 miles is also a good preventative measure using 20W/40 minimum or 20W/50 in hot summer. Clean filter regularly.

Overall the bike is very good in its price range and if well maintained will last a long time. I do not see any rust on my bike and I have not had to replace any major parts as yet. Its as easy around town as it is in the country. If you see things differently, for good or bad then here is the place to air your opinion.

10636397_288135321397440_573505178239825

I heard (from the dealers and a few others) that most of the Chinese bikes like Lifan, Keeway, Ryuka etc. are bought in from China in pieces and then mainly assembled here, well, maybe mostly. I am not sure if they build and manufacture any part in Thailand, important parts like engine, frame, shocks, exhaust etc.... !? I am sure others know more about it....

I have to say that your appraisal of your 250B is almost identical to my 200GY. I solved the gearbox/clutch issue with a heel plate welded onto the gearshift, as with a Honda Wave.

My exhaust note seems to have become louded and sounds noisey after my CRF, but would add that my Lifan is a lot of fun to ride. Off road it handles far better than the CRF mainly due to the grunt at low rpm, the CRF has nothing down low.

Going back to the 5 down gear pattern is a bugga after riding the conventional CRF..."old dogs new tricks" I guess.

But I agree these Lifans are good bikes for the money.

I have to say that your appraisal of your 250B is almost identical to my 200GY. I solved the gearbox/clutch issue with a heel plate welded onto the gearshift, as with a Honda Wave.

My exhaust note seems to have become louded and sounds noisey after my CRF, but would add that my Lifan is a lot of fun to ride. Off road it handles far better than the CRF mainly due to the grunt at low rpm, the CRF has nothing down low.

Going back to the 5 down gear pattern is a bugga after riding the conventional CRF..."old dogs new tricks" I guess.

But I agree these Lifans are good bikes for the money.
I am glad you poninted that out about how you solved the gear shift problem. I cant say I will be doing the same as it is not much of a problem. However how it managed to solve the problem I cannot see. I find it hard to get the balance between hard to put into gear but it pulls ok and easy to put into gear but not pulling well in gear. It has been like that from new. I have it where it is a little difficult to get out of gear when running but easy if the engine is turned off.
I dont know if anyone has found a place to get a sissy bar made or baught one over the counter. I would also like a back box which may solve two problems. Any ideas please post.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

15 hours ago, Sumarianson said:

I am glad you poninted that out about how you solved the gear shift problem. I cant say I will be doing the same as it is not much of a problem. However how it managed to solve the problem I cannot see. I find it hard to get the balance between hard to put into gear but it pulls ok and easy to put into gear but not pulling well in gear. It has been like that from new. I have it where it is a little difficult to get out of gear when running but easy if the engine is turned off.
I dont know if anyone has found a place to get a sissy bar made or baught one over the counter. I would also like a back box which may solve two problems. Any ideas please post.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It solved my problem because it there is more control from pushing with the heel than lifting with the toe. My problem was getting neutral after the engine was hot, maybe different for you... I had the same problem with my Honda Pahntom.

Be warned that fitting a Sissibar with inhibit getting your leg over, I fitted one to my Shadow, took it straight off, suggest you mock one up out of cardboard before you buy one.

IMO you understand....

46 minutes ago, AllanB said:

It solved my problem because it there is more control from pushing with the heel than lifting with the toe. My problem was getting neutral after the engine was hot, maybe different for you... I had the same problem with my Honda Pahntom.

Be warned that fitting a Sissibar with inhibit getting your leg over, I fitted one to my Shadow, took it straight off, suggest you mock one up out of cardboard before you buy one.

IMO you understand....

I actually like what you guys call a sisibar. It is easier to push down to shift than lift up IMO. My first bike in the 60s was a 98cc Ducati and it came with a shifter like the photo.

s-l500.jpg

On 3/13/2018 at 3:31 PM, AllanB said:

mainly due to the grunt at low rpm, the CRF has nothing down low.

I think you are confusing torque (lbs ft / nm) with gearing.

The 200cc OHV (5 speed) China trail bikes have very low gearing hence they run out of breath at 80 kmph. This also why they pull well from down low.

The CRF 250cc DOHC (6 speed) bikes have approx 50% more bhp and more torque, but they are geared way different. They run out of puff around 120 kmph, but acceleration is very linear.

For off road use, experienced riders drop the tall CRF gearing with a smaller front sprocket or larger rear sprocket or a combination of both.

This will wake the bike up off road, and negate your above statement.

On 14/03/2018 at 9:13 PM, thaiguzzi said:

I think you are confusing torque (lbs ft / nm) with gearing.

The 200cc OHV (5 speed) China trail bikes have very low gearing hence they run out of breath at 80 kmph. This also why they pull well from down low.

The CRF 250cc DOHC (6 speed) bikes have approx 50% more bhp and more torque, but they are geared way different. They run out of puff around 120 kmph, but acceleration is very linear.

For off road use, experienced riders drop the tall CRF gearing with a smaller front sprocket or larger rear sprocket or a combination of both.

This will wake the bike up off road, and negate your above statement.

True the peak power and torque figures are much higher on the CRF, but riding the Lifan, the engine pulls at almost any rpm. The (my) CRF is "ugly" below 4500rpm and appears to labour, after that the power eventually "kicks in" and the bike takes off.

Riding off-road I can ride the Lifan in 2nd at 3/5mph, guessing 2000rpm max, at that speed the Honda's clutch needs slipping, even in 1st. 

So, nothing to do with gearing in this instance, however, the Lifan is geared for 80kph tops and the CRF will probably do 120+

I already made the comment that the CRF has a "sports bike" engine and stick by that. The Lifan is a dirt bike, I can get off one bike and on the other and it is obvious.

The CBR 250 engine that is fitted in the CRF would  benefit hugely from being tuned for torque .If Honda fitted a milder camshaft and a smaller throttle inlet tract , maybe smaller valves , the engine would be useable at much lower revs , at the expense of 5 BHP at 10,000 Revs. A 250 is never going to pull like a tractor but the Lifan , and my Platinum , which revs out in top gear at 10,000 revs , will pull from just over idle - 1400 revs. The advantage of a 2 valve , low BHP engine de-tuned engine , i guess. Allan , I still think your CRF engine should be closer in performance to the Kawasaki KLX engine. That also pulls from low down. Have you tried another CRF to compare it to yours ?

10 hours ago, AllanB said:

True the peak power and torque figures are much higher on the CRF, but riding the Lifan, the engine pulls at almost any rpm. The (my) CRF is "ugly" below 4500rpm and appears to labour, after that the power eventually "kicks in" and the bike takes off.

Riding off-road I can ride the Lifan in 2nd at 3/5mph, guessing 2000rpm max, at that speed the Honda's clutch needs slipping, even in 1st. 

So, nothing to do with gearing in this instance, however, the Lifan is geared for 80kph tops and the CRF will probably do 120+

I already made the comment that the CRF has a "sports bike" engine and stick by that. The Lifan is a dirt bike, I can get off one bike and on the other and it is obvious.

No. It's gearing. Lower the gearing and get back to me.

I've ridden both bikes.

My ty250 monos (2 stroke) are designed for instant throttle response at any revs but especially low down. This is state of the engine tune, ie CR, the size and positioning of the exhaust ports and transfer ports, the internal gearing (6 speed) and the final drive gearing (10 tooth g/box sprkt anyone?). They will pull away in 3rd just off idle, handle a walking pace in 4th and effortlessly pull a wheelie in 3rd/4th at a walking pace. No clutch req'd.

I'm not getting in a pissing contest again, Allan, but saying the CRF has "nothing down low" is not how i would describe it.

Change some f###ing sprockets and get back to us...

Oh, and as it's a world market model , with all that implies ie emission crap, running lean from stock etc etc, spend the money on an air filter and fuel controller (200 odd $), cut open the silencer and de restrict, and then get back to us. Again.

Yes , the Honda should perform better than the Lifan that costs four times less. Even an engine in a CBR state of tune , ie one more suitable for highway revs. But Allans bike is " ugly below 4,500 RPM ". Thats a bad bike with an engine fault , not just a bad design.

On 16/03/2018 at 11:05 AM, thaiguzzi said:

No. It's gearing. Lower the gearing and get back to me.

I've ridden both bikes.

My ty250 monos (2 stroke) are designed for instant throttle response at any revs but especially low down. This is state of the engine tune, ie CR, the size and positioning of the exhaust ports and transfer ports, the internal gearing (6 speed) and the final drive gearing (10 tooth g/box sprkt anyone?). They will pull away in 3rd just off idle, handle a walking pace in 4th and effortlessly pull a wheelie in 3rd/4th at a walking pace. No clutch req'd.

I'm not getting in a pissing contest again, Allan, but saying the CRF has "nothing down low" is not how i would describe it.

Change some f###ing sprockets and get back to us...

Oh, and as it's a world market model , with all that implies ie emission crap, running lean from stock etc etc, spend the money on an air filter and fuel controller (200 odd $), cut open the silencer and de restrict, and then get back to us. Again.

I rode both bikes yesterday, the actual bikes in question, warts and all and the CRF has nothing (but labour) under 4000rpm. Gearing is a multiplier and zero times anthing = zero.

I think the lean running on the CRF doesn't help and remapping will be first on the list for when I get back in the autumn. No way am I going to be chopping bits off a brand new bike.

I will have word with a bike shop I know in the UK, who offered me a demo last year, will have a go on that to see if I have a lemon here. If it weren't for the power above 5000rpm I would have said yes.

But back on subject, my Lifan is brilliant off-road....anyone could ride this bike with confidence.

One thing I didn't mention was that when I bought the bike I changed the chain and wheel bearings to Jap ones, just to be on the safe side. Didn't cost much at all.

Archived