Retirement Visa

Hello! I am a newbie to Chiang Rai Forum, so looking forward to having some good advice. I'm going to retire in the next couple of months and ready to move back to Thailand. I have no problem with staying there. I'm Thai! But my husband is a senior US citizen. We did some research here and found the one year visa is the best option that he can apply from the Thai Consulate here before we enter the country.

1. Any advice or clarification about this type of visa???

2. And after one year, does he have to leave the country to get a renew visa and re-entering? In short, what is the best way to renew his visa?

He can get a Non Imm O-A Visa in the States with 800,000 Baht in his bank or income of 65,000 Baht a month or a combination of both.

This would give him 2 years in Thailand before he has to apply for a 12 month extension.

He can get 12 month retirement extensions in Thailand with the same financials as above.

He can also get 12 month extensions in Thailand as your Husband by showing 400,000 Baht in the bank or 40,000 Baht monthly income.

Have a look at the Thai Embassy website.

http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-category-o/

Edited by Phuket Man
  • Like 1

Your husband has several options for staying here.

He can apply for a single entry non-o visa based upon his marriage to you. The visa will allow a 90 day entry when he arrives.

Then he could apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage or retirement that can be renewed each year at immigration.

For marriage he would need to have 400k baht in a Thai bank in his name only for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income by way of a income affidavit done at the US embassy or the consulate in Chiang Mai.

For retirement he would need 800K baht in the bank for 60 days or proof of 65k baht of income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800K baht.

He could also apply for a NON-OA long stay visa for retirement that would allow unlimited 1 year entries for a year from the date of issue. He would need to meet the same financial requirements as needed for the extension but the equivalent of 800K baht can be in a bank in the states. He would also need a criminal background check and a medical certificate. 

• Like 1