Police deny Premchai’s request to postpone bribery interview

snoop1130

Police deny Premchai’s request to postpone bribery interview

724e843654feab28d878de5d5fcda366.jpeg

Police on Monday rejected a request by an embattled construction tycoon to postpone Wednesday’s meeting to acknowledge attempted bribery charges.

Pol Maj General Kamol Rienracha, chief of the Counter Corruption Division, said a lawyer of Premchai Karnasuta, president of Italian-Thai Development firm, had contacted police seeking a delay without giving a reason or suggesting a new appointment date.

“The police investigation into Premchai’s alleged offering of a bribe in exchange for his release, after being arrested in early February for poaching in Thung Yai Naresuan Wildlife Sanctuary in Kanchanaburi province, is complete,” Kamol said.

Premchai’s lawyer had been informed of the decision and promised to bring Premchai to meet police on Wednesday, he added.

Premchai has been charged with nine offences relating to poaching and will face three more charges of attempted bribery and the possession of illegal guns and elephant tusks without a permit.

Meanwhile, Karawee Songsri, an adviser to a civil-society group, led a group of about 20 people wearing black leopard masks to meet with deputy national police chief Pol General Srivara Rangsibhramanakul, the chief investigator on Premchai’s case.

The group said they were seeking justice for a black leopard whose remains were found at Premchai’s campsite when he was arrested.

They demanded that the investigation into the charges should be transparent and not subject to double standards, adding that police should not take sides with Premchai because of his influential billionaire status.

Srivara told the group that the law had only one standard under which rich and poor people were treated equally.

He added that police had not dragged their feet on behalf of Premchai. 

“The suspect still denies all the charges, so police have had to spend time collecting evidence to make the case airtight,” Srivara said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30340767

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-3-12

9 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Srivara told the group that the law had only one standard under which rich and poor people were treated equally.

Post that interview video on youtube and it will definately be the most viral one of the year.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Srivara told the group the law had only 1 standard, under which rich and poor were treated equally.:cheesy::cheesy:

Is that man for real? I nearly ruined my computer, as i was laughing so much with a cofffee in my hand.

Don´t worry, for having that much fun you will not care of the small extra expensies that might be associated with drinking coffée at the same time reading the Thai news. It´s a dangerous world out there, Colin.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

even lawyers here do not respect the law

I think that should read 'especially' not even. Its probably due to the fact that hiring a lawyer needs money, hence lawyers were the conduit between the accused and the accuser. The richest people get delays so long they can die before a court passes verdict.

Now if he was a farang the police would have confiscated his passport(s). I did not read that this had happened. :ohmy:

I hope he does not get an urgent call today to fly to another country today for an "unavoidable" business meeting. In the unlikely event he turns up, we could see a new world record for the number of wai's done in 2 minutes.

Amazing how tv readers can turn more good news about this case to negativity. The sad thing about this case is that no one cares about protecting the forests and wildlife. They only care about this case because of the rich guy. Just look at that photo of all the people wearing masks. Why didn't they show up for the "mushroom pickers" who were caught red handed and stone guilty of illegal logging and convicted by the supreme court? Because these folks would in fact switch sides and root for the poor "mushroom pickers" instead. People need to stop focusing on holding the rich to a higher standard and show this same level of concern and scrutiny to poor people that are ravaging what's left of the forests every single day all over Thailand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dcsw53 said:

I hope he does not get an urgent call today to fly to another country today for an "unavoidable" business meeting

On Saturday I posted that I bet he would be back in Thailand by Tuesday from a trip to Bangladesh after departing on Friday. So far there are no reports in the media about his return. My wife is preparing crow stew.

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The law may have only one standard but the people certainly don't.

And since the law is applied (or supposed to be) by people, claims such as the one made here by khun Srivara are nothing but wishful thinking.

1 hour ago, merlin2002 said:

Police General Srivara told the group that the law had only one standard under which rich and poor people were treated equally. 30 years ago the establishment could spout this bullshit, but in the modern world, thanks to social media, it's impossible to hide all the favoritism given to HiSo PRICKS and people with "connections". :post-4641-1156693976:

Hello Merlin, you are absolutely right to point out that nowadays, with the Internet, a lot of dirt commited by rich and influential people is more easily exposed to the public light. But the depressing question that comes to mind immediately is... does it actually yield significant results ?

The problem is not limited to Siam, and that must be kept in mind at all times, but since this Forum is here in Thailand, let's ask ourselves if media outrage has significantly helped real justice in the following cases (to name but a few of the most recent and famous ones) or not :

- The Redbull heir case

- The 25 wristwatches case

- Bringing Thaksin to justice for abusing his position to rake billions of baht

- Finding the real murderer(s) in the Koh Tao case

- Bringing the Flying Saucer 'Monk' to justice

... etc.

To close on a lighter note, I love these glasses of yours. Do they make them for boys too ?

Edited by Yann55
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

'Srivara told the group that the law had only one standard under which rich and poor people were treated equally.' The other standards don't count.

'He added that police had not dragged their feet on behalf of Premchai.' It apparently took him some three hours (X how ever many occasions) to drive to the little fat one's house, so no fear of any foot dragging.

During this very case this statement was made (link):

Premchai’s group is the first to have openly entered the wildlife sanctuary, he added.  “In other cases, it’s villagers sneaking in to fill their hungry stomachs. It’s not for pleasure

So there you have it: ludicrous excuses pandering to the poor, harsh prosecution for the rich. Blatant double standard. Everyone should be prosecuted for such crimes vigorously and equally.

Edited by canopy