Win 10 updates, at last

worgeordie

For several days my PC's have been trying to install Cumulative update

Win 10   1709 (KB4074588), and they have all failed,time after time,

surprise today, Microsoft must have gotten their act together,and 3

of my PC's updated without problem, check any restore points you

have are still there as the update can wipe them all. I use  Restore Point Creator, a handy free app.

regards Worgeordie

• Thanks 1

WIn 10 Pro has been trying to update for weeks (KB4074588), just looked and there are 47 failures. Downloads and says needs a restart and then when reboots its reports it failed. 

Just tried a manual update having see your post, but the same happens again.

On 3/13/2018 at 2:51 PM, alphason said:

WIn 10 Pro has been trying to update for weeks (KB4074588), just looked and there are 47 failures. Downloads and says needs a restart and then when reboots its reports it failed. 

Please try their website: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=kb4074588

If you are having problems with Win 10 updates use the Windows Update "troubleshooting" app in settings.
The easiest way to get to it is to press the Windows key on your keyboard, type "troubleshooting" click on the resulting app and then click the Update troubleshooting button.  Works for me every time.

The latest cumulative update 2018-3 KB4088776 for Win 10 generally lifted the antivirus compatibility restriction....maybe that is why the update installed.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4088776/windows-10-update-kb4088776

Partial quote from above KB summary of changes

• Due to recent work with our antivirus (AV) partners, AV software has now reached a sustained level of broad compatibility with Windows updates. After analyzing the available data, we’re lifting the AV compatibility check for the March 2018 Windows security updates for supported Windows 10 devices through Windows Update. We’ll continue to require that AV software be compatible. Devices with known AV driver compatibility problems will be blocked from updates. We recommend that customers check installed AV software compatibility with their AV provider.

•  

On ‎13‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 2:51 PM, alphason said:

Still having issues with KB4074588 and now with KB4088776 updates also.

Downloads says requires a restart, restart and check updates and its says up to date, but a little while later it will start to try and install the updates again and ask for a restart again.

On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 8:50 PM, jenny2017 said:

Tried this and it said update is already installed.

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 9:25 AM, scottiejohn said:

If you are having problems with Win 10 updates use the Windows Update "troubleshooting" app in settings.
The easiest way to get to it is to press the Windows key on your keyboard, type "troubleshooting" click on the resulting app and then click the Update troubleshooting button.  Works for me every time.

This found 3 issues it fixed check for pending updates & Windows update components must be repaired, but it could NOT fix Potential windows update database error.

3 hours ago, alphason said:

Downloads says requires a restart, restart and check updates and its says up to date, but a little while later it will start to try and install the updates again and ask for a restart again.

This found 3 issues it fixed check for pending updates & Windows update components must be repaired, but it could NOT fix Potential windows update database error.

Please see: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/help/4074588/windows-10-update-kb4074588

It seems that the KB 4088776 is the culprit, please see:  http://news.softpedia.com/news/no-surprise-windows-10-cumulative-update-kb4088776-fails-to-install-520222.shtml

Edited by jenny2017

5 hours ago, alphason said:

Why don't you go into Windows Programs where you can see what programs/updates are installed and where you can also uninstall programs/updates listed in that area....updates such as Windows updates.   

Click the View Installed Programs, and then under the Microsoft Windows listing of installed updates see if any of the updates that keep failing to install are actually listed as installed.  "If they are listed as installed" then uninstall them.  To repeat, just uninstall any that keep saying failed to install or wanting to do another Restart after you've already done the Restart, but are still listed as installed. 

Once uninstalling such update(s) then run the Update Check again to allow it to reinstall updates....it may just install properly and not try to reinstall itself again.

One time Win 10 kept reinstalling a driver over and over....a driver installed from the Windows Update Check  The driver would successfully install, however, then Windows Update would do a recheck, think the driver is not installed, and reinstall it again.   I was like up to a dozen repeated installs on this one driver.   It was kinda like the Ground Hog Day movie. 

To fix that problem I uninstalled the driver and this time when Windows Update Check reinstalled the driver it did it successfully as all the times before but now it did not try the repeated installs like was happening before.   In some way this cleared the Windows Update corruption/confusion and successfully installed the driver without follow-on repeated installs---no more Ground Hog Day attempted reinstalls of the same driver over and over.

Edited by Pib

I used the uninstall updates setting and saw KB4074588 was listed there although did not have an install date next to it, click uninstall and it did its thing and prompted a restart.

After the restart KB4074588 was not in the list anymore. Windows then installed KB4088776 and again asked me to restart, after this I checked updates and it said up to date, but after a minute or so a windows came up to say can not install updates. So I checked installed updates again and both KB4074588 and KB4088776 are not there. update status is showing as your device is up to date.

Now I have just done a check for updates and it has again started downloading KB4088776

15 hours ago, alphason said:

Again KB4088776 failed after the restart. Now that KB4074588 is no longer in the installed updates list I will try to install manually again as suggested by jenny2017 in an earlier post https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=kb4074588

Again this failed after the restart. Tried the troubleshooter again with same result as earlier.

Not sure what to do now, ignore it I guess and see what happens

4 hours ago, alphason said:

Again this failed after the restart. Tried the troubleshooter again with same result as earlier.

Not sure what to do now, ignore it I guess and see what happens

Please see: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4088776

Should you not be able to install it properly, just got to the Virtual Agent and type that you need assistance. A guy from MS will do it for you, should you not be able to solve the problem. 

On the other hand, if you do nothing, the system will finally update on its own. I wouldn't be concerned.

The troubleshooter should fix it: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10164/fix-windows-update-errors

You must do the steps as the Administrator. 

Edited by jenny2017

Thanks jenny 2017, Tried the troubleshooter, this one looks more thorough than the one within windows 10 that I tried earlier.

First it removed some old updates, then it said it had fixed pending updates and potential windows update database error (which the other troubleshooter reported but could not fix), but now it also says windows update components must be repaired - NOT fixed.

Next it said needed to download KB4090914, which it did and restarted.

Now in installed updates I have KN4090914, KB4088776, KB4074588, KB4088785 all saying needing a restart. So I did the restart and then after a few minutes the pop up said can not install updates. Checked the installed updates and again they are all showing as requires a restart.

So now I have restarted once more with the same result so am just running the troubleshooter one more time. But really I think if this does not work I will just ignore it and see if it rights itself.

The trouble shooter had me install some updates direct from the windows catalog, these again failed.

Next it had me do some steps from command prompt:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth this took about 30 minutes and said it was completed

then sfc /scannow took another 30 minutes and reported everything was ok

next check for updates again, restart, same problem still exists

now it wants me to perform an in place upgrade and download windows 10 media creation tool. So I have stopped at this point until I know what its trying to do and that my files etc are safe.

It's basically telling you to reset/reinstall Windows.  And that is probably what you are going to have to do to get your computer running properly again.

Late last year a few weeks after upgrade to Win 10 ver 1709 I had to basically reinstall Windows to fix a problem I had on both my Lenovo computers...the exact same problem on both although the problem was worst on one compared to the other one.  While no problem in installing Windows updates on an intermittent (but too frequent) basis the Windows Installer Module (WIM) Worker which is a key part of Windows for installing updates and a variety of other Windows tasks would start running...and running...and running even with no Windows updates being installed.  You can start of Windows Task Manager and view Processes to see what programs are running in the background like possible WIM Worker.  This is the only way to see if WIM Worker is running in the background.  You can google about the problem of WIM Worker and see the problems it can cause such as taking up a lot of your CPU horsepower and causing a variety of other problems.

By the way, did your problem appear after upgrading to ver 1709....seems a lot of people developed problems although their upgrade to 1709 apparently went successfully, but problems then soon appeared like the problem I had on both computers.   Of course some people always develop problems after an upgrade but my googling showed "many" people seem to have strange problems after upgrading to 1709.   I have went through all the Windows 10 upgrades to date with no problems, but the upgrade to 1709 cause me a problem as described below.

My particular problem was if a "Restart" was required while WIM Worker was running in the background during the Restart you would get the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) with an error message saying the boot device was inaccessible...I could no longer boot the computer.  What I would have to do then is boot into Windows recovery mode and rollback to a previous Restore Point...now I could boot normally again. 

Normally if WIM Worker installer is running in the background when you do a "Restart" for whatever reason it will shutdown properly, not cause any restart problems, and after the restart will start running again if it needs to.  But in my case WIM Worker would not shutdown properly and made it to where I could not even boot the computer....had to revert to a Restore Point to get the computer going again.

In trying to fix this problem I did all the Windows troubleshooting recommendations you did such as DISM,  SFC, Windows Update Database fixes, malware scans with Norton 360 (which I always run) and MalwareBytes--zero malware, etc, etc, etc.  Got no fix from doing all of this.

I even started MS Windows Tech Support Chat session....described the problem.  The rep said I need to do  a "Reset This PC" which is Windows Update & Security, Recovery, Reset This PC, which is basically one way of reinstalling Windows from the Windows image on your drive...basically doing the same thing as what a Windows Media Creation tool reinstall/upgrade will do.  Since you have successfully run DISM you will have a clean image.   The MS rep said my Windows was corrupted even though DISM and SFC said everything was fine....just corrupted settings DISM and SFC could not fix.   For 10 minutes I queried politely this can't be the only fix...seems resetting/reinstalling Windows is all too often the go-to answer by many tech reps.   But the rep stuck to her guns saying that "will" fix my problem and it's the only way. 

Of course I knew this is always an easy answer for Tech Support types....that is, reinstall Windows.   But I had already spent around 3 weeks trying to fix this problem on both computers.  And I consider myself several notches above the average computer user in terms of computer knowledge....I've built my own computers, fixed tough Windows problems for myselft and others, and have always considered reinstalling Windows the very last resort.  

Since I had reached that last resort I did a "Reset This PC",  Windows was reinstalled from the image on the drive, and it fixed both computers....this was back during the last week of Dec 17.   Computers been purring along fine since.  The WIM Worker does not run a "whole lot"....only when it really suppose to like installing updates, new programs, and routine Windows maintenance.  And Restarting my computer works as normal now....no Blue Screen of Death/inaccessible boot device.

But reinstalling/resetting Windows does come with some pitfalls as it might need to remove all or many of your apps/software installed (which means needing to reinstall them) and that is because one or more of those apps could be the source of the Windows corruption problem.

Having an image backup of your computer like using Macrium Reflect Free with an external drive to save the image backup is always good.  I backup my computers regularly.  With a backup if things go south in your reinstall/reset of Windows you can always just reinstall the image backup and you are back to where you were before....no damage done.

In my opinion it sure sounds like you are now to the point of doing a Windows reset/reinstall is the only way you are going to fix your problem.   This is not a recommendation...just what it probably going to come down to based all all the fixes you've already tried such as DISM, SFC, Windows Troubleshooter, uninstalling/reinstalling updates, etc. 

Good luck.

• Like 1

Thanks for the detailed reply Pib.

I don't have any pc problems other than it keeps saying updates have failed. I updated to 1709 some time ago and I looked in the installed updates and there are around 10 successful updates since then.

I am worried about losing files etc if I do the next step. I don't have a drive to do a backup at the moment, I have a WD my book live basically a NAS drive that I use for serving media to my tv but there is a problem with that drive with a reduced capacity, so I would not want to rely on it.

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2018 at 2:51 PM, alphason said:

Please see and follow steps one to three. ( Step one could fix it already,) but I've made all steps from three and got my notebook's updates working.I had the same problems. 

Just copy and paste when you've got Command Prompt, but you've got to use it as Administrator!!! 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_update/windows-update-database-corruption/7d4a68e8-cad3-422b-a54b-d5c17e397319

On 3/28/2018 at 8:12 AM, alphason said:

Thanks, decided to ignore it for now and see if it rights itself.

If it goes on too long or get any other issues I will have to risk the in place update.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_update/windows-update-database-corruption/7d4a68e8-cad3-422b-a54b-d5c17e397319

Just follow the steps, you'll basically delete your update program and renew it. Works like a charm. 

On 3/22/2018 at 7:55 AM, alphason said:

Thanks jenny 2017, Tried the troubleshooter, this one looks more thorough than the one within windows 10 that I tried earlier.

First it removed some old updates, then it said it had fixed pending updates and potential windows update database error (which the other troubleshooter reported but could not fix), but now it also says windows update components must be repaired - NOT fixed.

Next it said needed to download KB4090914, which it did and restarted.

Now in installed updates I have KN4090914, KB4088776, KB4074588, KB4088785 all saying needing a restart. So I did the restart and then after a few minutes the pop up said can not install updates. Checked the installed updates and again they are all showing as requires a restart.

So now I have restarted once more with the same result so am just running the troubleshooter one more time. But really I think if this does not work I will just ignore it and see if it rights itself.

You must follow all steps and press enter after each input!!!

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10164/fix-windows-update-errors