Thai Roads: Now it's getting even easier to get a license - no need to take a day off!

webfact

Thai Roads: Now it's getting even easier to get a license - no need to take a day off!

6pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Sanook's auto section said that it was now not even necessary to take a day off to get a Thai driving license.

The Department of Land Transport testing centers are set to open at weekends over the next few months.

Sanook said everything could be completed in five hours - and you'll get your lovely new license.

The program starts on the weekend of March 24-25 and continues on April 28-29. There is generally one weekend opening per month with two in May and November.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-03-14
  • Thanks 1

Roads that were ineptly designed from the start, vehicles capable of ever higher and higher speeds and a couple of laps in the local Department of Transport car park plus an online test for a country of the most logically challenged people I’ve ever encountered..... what could possibly go wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

A simple announcement that you can now do the tests on the weekend and its the coming of the apocalypse, the breakdown of the Thai licensing system.

Changes were introduced on the 1st of march, more details on the doctors certificate, more added to the driving and written test, it now takes longer, makes sense that they now open on weekends.

• Like 2

Why even bother getting a license in the first place??  A small fine if you are caught and are Thai.  Want a car or motorbike and have no license, not a problem here if you are Thai and walk into the dealership or a used lot and have cash.  Bob's your Uncle and out the door you go with your car/motorbike.  And the clowns in charge keep letting this travesty go on and the obvious result is more road carnage.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Sanook said everything could be completed in five hours - and you'll get your lovely new license.

That's probably the best idea they could come up with to keep the only No. 1 place in a global ranking: road accidents.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Thian said:

So you don't like to wait for somchai or somjing trying to park the car while causing huge congestion?

Or the ones who even can't make a Uturn without ending up at the incoming lanes?

I love it when they suddenly turn left without using indicators, gives me a superior feeling that i have more brains than them.

Amazing!.....I get that same feeling when I walk and chew gum at the same time. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, idman said:

Why even bother getting a license in the first place??  A small fine if you are caught and are Thai.  Want a car or motorbike and have no license, not a problem here if you are Thai and walk into the dealership or a used lot and have cash.  Bob's your Uncle and out the door you go with your car/motorbike.  And the clowns in charge keep letting this travesty go on and the obvious result is more road carnage.

The clowns in charge also don't mind if you don't put a licenseplate on your motocy...see that all the time here in BKK...especially on backroads but also on main roads i see one every minute.

And if the clowns order you to stop you just don't do it, nothing will happen...mai pen lai. Or you just stop and drive the same way back against traffic, easy peasy....no ploblem....I've even seen 30 motocy's doing that at the same time when there was a checkpoint around the corner with 10 clowns standing all over the road...they stopped me though and even asked me: where you go? I pointed down the road and he said: Ok you go .....

• Haha 1

I did a defensive driving course decades ago in Australia. It has been very useful since I came to Thailand. However, I don't think the instructors in Oz could possibly have imagined all the scenarios that unfold here on a daily basis.

• Like 1

I wonder if my Thai ex girlfriend now finally got her driving license. She was driving car for 12 years already when I left her in 2012. She never turned the lights on because someone told her that the electricity bill at home would rise if she turned on the lights. Yes, she had a masters degree in business economy from a Thai university...

Another girl that I knew, had her sister go for the driving license exams, doing all the work. She only had her own name and picture on her license. 

Just 2 girls you don't want to drive you home.

Edited by PAIBKK
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Thian said:

So you don't like to wait for somchai or somjing trying to park the car while causing huge congestion?

Or the ones who even can't make a Uturn without ending up at the incoming lanes?

I love it when they suddenly turn left without using indicators, gives me a superior feeling that i have more brains than them.

"...gives me a superior feeling that i have more brains than them".

Well, there's a surprise that you feel that!  Don't bank on it, though.

Edited by Just Weird

31 minutes ago, PAIBKK said:

I wonder if my Thai ex girlfriend now finally got her driving license. She was driving car for 12 years already when I left her in 2012. She never turned the lights on because someone told her that the electricity bill at home would rise if she turned on the lights. Yes, she had a masters degree in business economy from a Thai university...

Another girl that I knew, had her sister go for the driving license exams, doing all the work. She only had her own name and picture on her license. 

Yeah, right, to all of that.  A masters in "business economy"!

That other girl would have had a picture of her sister on her driving licence, if she wasn't there for the application her picture could not be taken for the licence.

23 hours ago, webfact said:

Now it's getting even easier to get a license

" . . . and you'll get your lovely new licence" . . . and ministry-approved crash helmet and full suit of body armour . . . side-arms optional.

17 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Amazing!.....I get that same feeling when I walk and chew gum at the same time. 

But you are farang right?  Could be a challenge for some people, particularly the males, of a certain country.

Edited by AboutThaim

8 hours ago, PAIBKK said:

Aah now all is clear.  I've often joked with my gf about drivers saving "electric" by not switching lights on.  Didn't put it down to the home bill rising.  My thoughts were that it was the "me, me" factor in play.  I can see where I'm going so don't I need lights.  Same with tail lights on a motorbike.  I can't see it when I'm riding so why do I need it?  Never mind the lack of visibility by other drivers who may be overtaking and don't see the approaching vehicle or are semi blinded by an oncoming car and hit a motorbike in the rear.   I wonder how many accidents are caused by this stupid line of thought.

On 3/14/2018 at 10:50 AM, idman said:

you may use the popular the red permit