Will 13-year-old Mint be deported back to Thailand?

webfact

Will 13-year-old Mint be deported back to Thailand?

by Sara Brun Nielsen

Skærmbillede-2018-03-13-kl.-23.13.35.jpg

In Denmark, this is hardly news anymore, – just another foreigner about to be deported. And you may think “but this is a child living with her mother in Denmark – Danish media must be outraged!” Again no. We have seen several of these cases over the last couple of years, and the more cases that appear the less the media cover them. And you might wonder how many cases are not covered at all.

This time a thirteen-year-old girl, Mint, was supposed to be deported back to Thailand on Friday the 9th of March, but just the day before the family got good news: Mint can stay in Denmark. But only while her case is being processed.

Mint stays with her mother, who is married to a Danish man. The mother also has custody of Mint. “It is crazy. We are extremely happy,” says the stepfather, Frank Jørgensen, to DAGBLADET Køge.

Full story: https://scandasia.com/will-13-year-old-mint-be-deported-back-to-thailand/

-- ScandAsia 2018-03-14

At 13 years of age, her brain will be a huge sponge still and no doubt what ever test language wise they put to her in the allotted time frame she will blow it off very easily. Chock dee krub to her, 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Why good luck? She's not being deported on a lark. There is a valid reason. Deportation is a lengthy procedure and is only initiated if the subject has been the subject of multiple hearings and has previously been ordered to leave. Why should she get preference over those who are legitimate and followed the rules to gain entry? Is it fair to block others, but this one with a public sob story gets  favoured?

I guess that you are happy to see the children of Danish citizens being deported by Denmark.

If you spend any time on the issue, you will find many anomalies in laws in Western countries when it comes to individuals born abroad or born in-country to foreign parents. Example: the young man who was born in-country and received his order to leave because he could not prove that his mother worked in-country at the time he was born. In his case, there was going to be a problem because he had no passport and no other country would accept him. He had broken no laws and the immigration authorities were in breach of several rules and an international treaty but hey, that did not stop them from bullying this young man.

The trouble with immigration law is that it only applies to foreigners. If it were applied to citizens, it would be written differently and would be employed differently. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Jools said:

"Fit in"...."assimilation".....all code phrases designed to prevent diversity and scapegoat foreign cultures. As if the culture of Thai people was as threatening as a Jihadi. Balderdash.

Well multiculturalism certainly proved a wonderful success. 

Edited by GarryP

7 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Why good luck? She's not being deported on a lark. There is a valid reason. Deportation is a lengthy procedure and is only initiated if the subject has been the subject of multiple hearings and has previously been ordered to leave. Why should she get preference over those who are legitimate and followed the rules to gain entry? Is it fair to block others, but this one with a public sob story gets  favoured?

Presume you're not familiar with Denmark; it's not a lengthy process, but mainly up to one office only.

Mint lived with family in Thailand, before coming to Denmark, but after her mother had arrived. The authorities think that Mint has stronger connections to Thailand, than Denmark, since her mother left her there, and went to live with another man abroad.

Danish authorities are though to deal with, if connections to Denmark are not strong enough.

There are multiple cases like this OP in Denmark, and not only with Thais. Another Danish news story today is about a Dane married for 8-years to a Brazilian lady, they have three Danish citizen children together, and financially self supported family, but the mum cannot get permission to stay in Denmark, and she need to leave the country this Friday.

:sad:

17 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Presume you're not familiar with Denmark; it's not a lengthy process, but mainly up to one office only.

Mint lived with family in Thailand, before coming to Denmark, but after her mother had arrived. The authorities think that Mint has stronger connections to Thailand, than Denmark, since her mother left her there, and went to live with another man abroad.

Danish authorities are though to deal with, if connections to Denmark are not strong enough.

There are multiple cases like this OP in Denmark, and not only with Thais. Another Danish news story today is about a Dane married for 8-years to a Brazilian lady, they have three Danish citizen children together, and financially self supported family, but the mum cannot get permission to stay in Denmark, and she need to leave the country this Friday.

:sad:

Yes I personally know if a case like this. Mother married a Dane and moved to Denmark. Daughter from first marriage living with grandparents in Thailand. Waited just over a year before the daughter moved to Denmark. The authorities viewed that as mother and daughter for so long that there was no reason they could not continue living apart. Daughter assumed to still have very strong ties to Thailand. There was also the fitting in and assimilation. The daughter was 12 or 13.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, GarryP said:

Well multiculturalism certainly proved a wonderful success. 

It is, ultimately, the core of History.

Migration, invasion, colonisation, more migration.

It's not going away........but you are.

Edited by Enoon

14 minutes ago, Enoon said:

It is, ultimately, the core of History.

Migration, invasion, colonisation, more migration.

It's not going away........but you are.

Rather disingenuous response. 

Look at what is happening in Europe. The native population or a large number of them are starting to feel disenfranchised as a result of mass immigration from Africa, the Middle East, etc. A large proportion of such immigrants have no desire to assimilate. Governments are finally starting to tighten immigration rules as a result. Unfortunaly, this has a bad knock on effect for those that do want to be a genuine part of the community in the country they have moved to. Ergo the situation we are seeing in Denmark.

And, yes, I will be dead sooner or later as will you.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

People like that shouldn't be deported. But walking through immigration in Swampy, I can scores of Western males that should not even be allowed out of the airport to the taxi stand.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GarryP said:

It is getting much more difficult in Denmark. Kids going over at 13 or 14 are going to find it difficult to meet requirements for language and assimilation by the time they are 18. If that happens they are forced to return to Thailand. That would create all problems as the child then would not have the requisite qualifications to go to University in Thailand  if he or she so desired. Basically they would not been seen to have finished high school. Could have all sorts of repercussions and severely impact their future. 

I do believe, however, that this is not intentional by the authorities there, but a result of the clamp down on financial refugees.  Denmark seems to have taken a much harder line than other countries once it started to see the untoward results of its open door policies.  Unfortunately,  enforcement must be across the board and should not be seen to be selective. 

Why shouldn't it be more selective?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hansnl said:

It is unbelievable that countries dare to apply immigration laws to immigrants.

They do apply them just in a backward fashion. They kick out people who either have, or are perfectly capable of integrating, like the girl in the report, and welcome with open arms those that have no intention of integrating and pose a potential risk in one form or another.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Thais love their fatherland so much, she should go back to Thailand! How can she live so far away from her beloved king? (That's what a Thai girl actually told me, when I asked her, whether she'd like to live abroad: "Cannot! I'd be too far from my king..."

Not too much of a generalization at all!

44 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Rather disingenuous response. 

Look at what is happening in Europe. The native population or a large number of them are starting to feel disenfranchised as a result of mass immigration from Africa, the Middle East, etc. A large proportion of such immigrants have no desire to assimilate. Governments are finally starting to tighten immigration rules as a result. Unfortunaly, this has a bad knock on effect for those that do want to be a genuine part of the community in the country they have moved to. Ergo the situation we are seeing in Denmark.

And, yes, I will be dead sooner or later as will you.

How many foreigners in Thailand assimilate?  Hardly any. So many western males marry Thai women from socio-economically marginalized areas in the Northeast, but this is not assimilation.

25 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

No mention in the report or the link of the girl being the child of a Danish citizen.  She's the daughter of a Thai woman.

So "stepfather, Frank Jørgensen" is not a Dane? He is quoted as saying: "“It cannot be right, that I need to flee from my own country to keep my family together,”

It is because he have no financial support he is on a pension and she not speaking Danish like meny other Denmark start send people home there is another story about Somalia man he have job salary 420.000 dk about 3 million but it still not enough 

Denmark will not support this family 

Sad but true it is the same in other parts of Europe if you don't have the money you can't get your family only if you migrant 

I hope the best for them but don't believe happy ending 

18 hours ago, Proboscis said:

I guess that you are happy to see the children of Danish citizens being deported by Denmark.

If you spend any time on the issue, you will find many anomalies in laws in Western countries when it comes to individuals born abroad or born in-country to foreign parents. Example: the young man who was born in-country and received his order to leave because he could not prove that his mother worked in-country at the time he was born. In his case, there was going to be a problem because he had no passport and no other country would accept him. He had broken no laws and the immigration authorities were in breach of several rules and an international treaty but hey, that did not stop them from bullying this young man.

The trouble with immigration law is that it only applies to foreigners. If it were applied to citizens, it would be written differently and would be employed differently. 

How about you deal with the facts specific to this  case? Your example is irrelevant, unless this person's case is identical. 

21 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

When the authorities first decided to deport her......................Mint, was obviously, not flavour of the month ! :cheesy: :cheesy:

Good luck in her quest to stay with her mum there.

I'm pretty sure her name is actually pronounced "Min". I had a Thai darling with that name a few years back and could never figure out where the "T" came from.