Where to get a laptop repaired in Pattaya?

JohnJay

11 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

Bought the CPU on eBay for 270 baht. So 698 baht in total.

The original single core CPU was useless when attempting to run Windows 10. The upgraded CPU at least allows programs to run. Won't win any prizes, but at least now a usable machine.

CPU benchmark from 465 to 992.

Device is from Feb.2007.

Post the model number and we'll take a look.

Don't laugh 555

Acer Aspire 7720Z

Still has Vista Home premium! 

3 minutes ago, topt said:

Don't laugh 555

Acer Aspire 7720Z

Still has Vista Home premium! 

This machine is newer than mine. Gemstone series if I remember correctly. I see nothing that indicates that the CPU is fixed.

Costs nothing to upgrade to Windows 7. Can sort out a BIOS update for that. 

SSD will bring it up to spec.

Where is the machine? Thailand or elsewhere?

15 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

This machine is newer than mine. Gemstone series if I remember correctly. I see nothing that indicates that the CPU is fixed.

Costs nothing to upgrade to Windows 7. Can sort out a BIOS update for that. 

SSD will bring it up to spec.

Where is the machine? Thailand or elsewhere?

No here in Thailand. Yes Gemstone rings a bell - it is the 1.46Ghz version. 

https://ark.intel.com/products/33918/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-T9500-6M-Cache-2_60-GHz-800-MHz-FSB is the best CPU you can fit.

https://ark.intel.com/products/29762/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-T7700-4M-Cache-2_40-GHz-800-MHz-FSB something in the middle.

Example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Intel-Core-2-Duo-T7700-2-4GHz-Dual-Core-LF80537GG0564M-Processor/74064952  150 baht

Here is someone who modded your model; https://forum.hardware.fr/hfr/OrdinateursPortables/portable/upgrade-memory-modding-sujet_75519_1.htm

But your mod won't be that involved.

The good thing about the ACER service centre doing the work it that you can get them to clean up inside and change the CMOS battery at the same time. 

So just the CPU and fitting can cost as little as 600 baht. 

4 GB of RAM from another 540 baht; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Memory-Ram-4-Laptop-DDR2-PC2-6400-800-MHz-200-pin-SODIMM-Non-ECC-1-8V-2-x-Lot-GB-/222631061314

120 GB SSD from 1100 to 1400 baht.

It's up to you as to how much you want to spend, but the CPU, RAM and SSD fitting will make it a machine that's a pleasure to use.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

I know, Pentium T2310.

Here is the BIOS update needed for the free update to Windows 7 ; https://mega.nz/#F!bQFVARpK!4qz5JLncl9EumErMfe3vcQ

But before you tackle that...does it switch on and show the correct time?

It did last time I used it although the battery has been dead for quite a few years which is not an issue as I don't need to use on the go.

Thanks for all the references and help. I wish I had known this 4/5 years ago.

I will have a look tomorrow and see what I want to do.

Cheers

20 minutes ago, topt said:

It did last time I used it although the battery has been dead for quite a few years which is not an issue as I don't need to use on the go.

Thanks for all the references and help. I wish I had known this 4/5 years ago.

I will have a look tomorrow and see what I want to do.

Cheers

If you don't want to spend anything, even the BIOS update and clean install of Windows 7 will make it usable.

Then it's a matter of where you want to make the improvements. 

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 2:27 PM, JSixpack said:

I think we'll just need to agree that there's just no way you'll be able to overcome the bizarre fixation on "activation key." There're no sellers of "activation keys" and no buyers. Nor is an "activation key" "licensed" in any way. No such thing exists. It's not in the portion of the license agreement you quoted. Therefore there's no such thing as "licensing elsewhere" of an "activation key." That is imaginary. Your reference isn't to official M'soft policy but to an opinion by an employee who's hedging w/ "probably." Do you read the M'soft tech support forums often? 'Nuff said.

As you can't understand the process of Windows installation and activation, you aren't qualified to discuss the matter of keys sold online by third-party vendors.

Hence I would advise members interested in purchasing online product keys cheaply to pay no attention to your confused posts on the subject. Is an online license worth USD15? Yep, members can decide for themselves. :smile:

After ignoring my other points--you're welcome to the education; find that download link yet?--you've conveniently misinterpreted the significance of the terms of the license agreement. The product keys sold cheaply by reputable vendors on the net are genuine keys and your using one of them does constitute a proper use of the license--strictly speaking--and so your copy will be properly activated when it contacts M'soft. That your copy is subject to the same rule as the copy for which you paid your THB3900 means doesn't mean your copy isn't properly licensed.

And so far out of the thousands of product keys sold cheaply online for the past few years nobody has reported any serious problems. As noted, M'soft wouldn't wish to do that. It's even been lax w/ upgrades of pirated Win 7 copies. M'soft really wants you to use Win 10 for obvious reasons.

So, we done? That was fun. :biggrin:

when someone installs Windows 10 on new machine it needs to be activated, what is it that is generally used for activation ? 

I thought it was generally referred to as a "Product Key - for Activation"  - now whether you want to refer that as a licence is pure semantics, it legitimatises your instance of Windows on that hardware platform,