Karon Beach, any good ?

Joinaman

Hi there

have friends wanting to come visit  from the UK in November, and they are thinking of going to Karon Beach

one couple in their early  30s, one couple in the mid 60s

good place to go to ? Or do you recommend anywhere better

1st time visit for them

any things for them to do or see, and any recommendations on good hotels?

I'm up in Issaan so would fly down to meet them, think the drive might be a bit much

love to hear from people who live or visit this area so I can advise them before they book anything

thanks in advance

i went there twice in 2014. Loved it.  Easy walk over the hill to Kata.  Several wonderful restaurants all over the place. The water was clean, the surf was active with some waves which I liked (I was there in October and later December).  I stayed in one cheap non AC bunagalo place that was up a small hill.  I didn't mind.  It was all I needed for one week.  It is pleasant at night, too warm to hang in the room during the day, so I would not recommend this spartan a place.  Plenty of little night life places to drink at.  A bit pricey and dicey to get a taxi to go to Patong if you want more nightlife.  Karon to me is a quiet place with a nice long pretty beach front.

• Like 2

That was quick, thank you

is it easy to walk about

the old man is a bit dodgy with his breathing so not good walking up hills or too many stairs

seen some prices on things there, some are nearly double what I'm used to !

how expensive is beer, cos I think we might be having a few sessions out of the sun while the ladies go shopping or something

up here we pay around 90 baht for a large bottle, 55-60 for a small Chang 

thanks again

I drove by it yesterday, it was pretty busy! But everywhere seems to be still. 

November is the end of the monsoon season, Karon Beach is probably one of the most dangerous beaches during the monsoon season. Just something to keep in mind.

Karon's probably a good choice for the age groups you've mentioned, as is its neighbour, Kata.

There are dozens of hotels, even more guesthouses, though I'd recommend somewhere with a pool in November as the sea can still be a bit dangerous, as Jimi007 said. It depends upon the budget. Look at the reviews.

Karon itself is quite flat (the hills start behind the Temple and to the east of Patak Road beyond that).

There are different areas within Karon and its quite a long beach so they are quite distinct from each other: The most popular area is the northern end, around the Centara Resort, with the southern end near the Phuket Orchid also quite busy. 

If it rains, there is not a lot to do in Karon but with four people the taxi/tuktuk price is manageable for trips to Patong or Phuket Town. 

We recently spent 2 nights at Patong Beach, 2 nights at Karon Beach and 2 nights at Nai Yang Beach (near the airport). We flew direct from Khon Kaen (there is a daily direct flight).

The beach at Patong is fine, but there is a lot of traffic and its noisy. Places within easy walking distance of the beach (500 m) are expensive. There are some good/big shopping centres.

Karon is a lot smaller and the beach is also good, backed by trees in many places. It is easier/cheaper to find accommodation nearer the beach. I would recommend Karon as a good compromise.

Nai Yang is off the main track and very low key. The beach is small with national parks at both ends. Accommodation on the beach is scarce and pricey. Cheaper places are a 1 or 2 km walk. Nevertheless, I enjoyed this beach because it was much more natural and not crowded. One could also hire canoes/surf skis and paddle along the shorelines of the national parks where there was decent snorkeling and you could have some small beaches to yourself. However, you would need to be fitter and forgo an active nightlife for this option.

1 hour ago, phantomfiddler said:

Be very careful !!! Karon Beach is famous for vicious rip currents, and a vast number of people have been drowned there, some never recovered. You have been warned.

Not all year long and monsoon season is over by November. Don’t be a scare monger. If there is danger on a given day there will be red flags along the beach as well. When were you there last?? 1998?

To OP :

I was just there last weekend Friday to Sunday. The beach is clean and has lots of space for peace and quiet or a few beach chair areas if they like that. The water was very clean and clear easily could see your toes in neck deep water. If they have a little money to spare the Hilton is great. A real spread out resort feel. Lots of pools, restaurants and bars and nightly singers in lobby. Many other places nearby cheaper. Nice food and cheaper places to eat and drink are on the second road parallel to beach. Lots of 7/11’s for cheapest beer lol. Lots of massage places as well. If they want to experience Patong one night maybe 400/500 baht Taxi to there. If the younger ones want to see crazy Thailand then a night out there to walk around bangla and surrounding area is a great place to take videos/ pics of the craziness. 

As another mentioned Karon waterfront is completely flat with good sidewalk and it’s clean! They actually have garbage cans at most entrances unlike Patong ( the water in Patong is NOT clear anymore. I was there today. 

I went there last year as well and plan to go next year longer. Have fun!

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

Not all year long and monsoon season is over by November. Don’t be a scare monger. If there is danger on a given day there will be red flags along the beach as well. When were you there last?? 1998?

To OP :

I was just there last weekend Friday to Sunday. The beach is clean and has lots of space for peace and quiet or a few beach chair areas if they like that. The water was very clean and clear easily could see your toes in neck deep water. If they have a little money to spare the Hilton is great. A real spread out resort feel. Lots of pools, restaurants and bars and nightly singers in lobby. Many other places nearby cheaper. Nice food and cheaper places to eat and drink are on the second road parallel to beach. Lots of 7/11’s for cheapest beer lol. Lots of massage places as well. If they want to experience Patong one night maybe 400/500 baht Taxi to there. If the younger ones want to see crazy Thailand then a night out there to walk around bangla and surrounding area is a great place to take videos/ pics of the craziness. 

As another mentioned Karon waterfront is completely flat with good sidewalk and it’s clean! They actually have garbage cans at most entrances unlike Patong ( the water in Patong is NOT clear anymore. I was there today. 

Just ignore him, he is also claiming there are daily unreported drownings there.

To OP :

Ah you sound like a tourist without a clue about the ocean around here! I have lived here since 2005 and there are more drowning deaths along that rather small stretch of beach than any other in Phuket! Yes, I grew up at the beach surfing and I am still alive because of my respect for the ocean! I guess you missed that class in life.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jimi007 said:

Ah you sound like a tourist without a clue about the ocean around here! I have lived here since 2005 and there are more drowning deaths along that rather small stretch of beach than any other in Phuket! Yes, I grew up at the beach surfing and I am still alive because of my respect for the ocean! I guess you missed that class in life.

Disagree, he is very realistic.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Be very careful !!! Karon Beach is famous for vicious rip currents, and a vast number of people have been drowned there, some never recovered. You have been warned.

Drowned is past tense. I'm fairly sure that everyone who drowned there never recovered. You have been warned.:stoner:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jimi007 said:

Drownings everywhere even with daily life guards  a lot of them happen in Cape Cod, Jersey shore, Florida, South of France and Spain , Greece, Hua Hin, Ko Samed, Koh Chang , Goa, The Gold Coast Aus, on and on. You know where tons of people drown? In a bathtub!!  Should we now all avoid these places?  Pure utter scare mongering and unnecessary! OP and his friends should go to Karon like people  have for decades and ENJOY!! 

Edited by alex8912
  • Like 2

Disagree, he is very realistic.

While I don’t often disagree with you Steven but you are just plain wrong on this! There are way more drowning deaths along that small portion of the west coast of Phuket than any other beach, at least according to news reports over the many years here. I am not there to confirm the death count. There are also plenty of Thai kids who drown every year in the lagoon at Nai Harn Beach. Still no lifeguards assigned there as it’s “not the beach.” No contract is ever signed for lifeguards until after the “high season “ and many tourists lose their lives. Great public service system here in Phuket! Right up there with the land title office! LOL!

Thanks guys

are the hotels built on the hills, or are there any decent ones built on the level areas ?

friends been looking and he says they have up to 52 steps to reach hotel and with his breathing problems, not sure if he could manage that amount of steps each day

anyone know of hotel on Beach Road? Or second road ? With easy access ?

6 hours ago, Jimi007 said:

While I don’t often disagree with you Steven but you are just plain wrong on this! There are way more drowning deaths along that small portion of the west coast of Phuket than any other beach, at least according to news reports over the many years here. I am not there to confirm the death count. There are also plenty of Thai kids who drown every year in the lagoon at Nai Harn Beach. Still no lifeguards assigned there as it’s “not the beach.” No contract is ever signed for lifeguards until after the “high season “ and many tourists lose their lives. Great public service system here in Phuket! Right up there with the land title office! LOL!

Yes, there are drownings and people should be careful and watch out for any rips. But he is talking about November on a lifeguarded beach. Just follow the directions and only swim in the recommended areas.

You're overdoing it imo.

10 hours ago, Jimi007 said:

Karon is a "rather small stretch of beach" ??

Do be careful of the rip there and at Kata...there was three drownings in a week while I was there .Had to risk my own life to drag a German guy out and it was bloody hard work believe me and I can swim!  Shouting and screaming from locals just standing there watching..including a policeman..and 5 minutes later a woman with a young child 'paddling' in the same spot!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Joinaman said:

Thanks guys

are the hotels built on the hills, or are there any decent ones built on the level areas ?

friends been looking and he says they have up to 52 steps to reach hotel and with his breathing problems, not sure if he could manage that amount of steps each day

anyone know of hotel on Beach Road? Or second road ? With easy access ?

Plenty of hotels on level areas. Look at the map. Anything in Karon beachside of Patak Road will be flat, as is anything between Karon Circle and Karon Temple. There are loads of hotels in this area. I had a look at the Avista Grande a couple of weeks ago. New in 2017 it looked very nice, quite compact, and is a bit cheaper than the Hilton Arcadia, which also fits your criteria. If you are on more of a budget, bear in mind many guesthouses have a lot of stairs.

Have a look at the reviews and check the location. You can PM me for any advice re location as I am in the area. 

Forget Patong as at moment the water at beach is disgusting and not advisable to bath in.

Either Karon or Kata is ideal for people to enjoy relaxing time on nice beaches, as said obey the advice locally as to bathing safety conditions 

Add about 30 to 40 baht to your Issan beer prices, I had a large 630ml bottle of Chang yesterday just above Kata Noi at a bar/restaurant and it was 200 Baht

7 hours ago, Lokie said:

Forget Patong as at moment the water at beach is disgusting and not advisable to bath in.

Either Karon or Kata is ideal for people to enjoy relaxing time on nice beaches, as said obey the advice locally as to bathing safety conditions 

Add about 30 to 40 baht to your Issan beer prices, I had a large 630ml bottle of Chang yesterday just above Kata Noi at a bar/restaurant and it was 200 Baht

Ouch

ive just come back from a bar in Sakon Nakhon where i pay 90 baht for a large beer

been going here since 2004 in feb/march beach /sea  great, centara karon resort is a good place to stay [delux rooms] pool outside your balcony plenty of bars and restaurants 

There daughter has booked room at this resort, but my friend wants to know if it involves going up a hill, or climbing steps, neither of which he can do
If it does, can you recommend any nearby hotel that he can book to be close , but that is on the level ?
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

48 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

There daughter has booked room at this resort, but my friend wants to know if it involves going up a hill, or climbing steps, neither of which he can do
If it does, can you recommend any nearby hotel that he can book to be close , but that is on the level ?
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The Centara Karon Resort will be fine. I've been inside there several times. No hills, a few steps here and there but nothing daunting; there are always a few steps, it doesn't matter where you are. Good location, caters more to Western tourists than Russians and Chinese. Decent choice.