They came expecting to be impressed - but Austrian tourists were robbed at Ayutthaya ruins

webfact

11 hours ago, leeneeds said:

One gathers that the tourist had No idea of their personal  security,

opportunistic theft, was decided on that spur of the moment, 

happens the world over, one would do better to research a country you are going to visit, the information is out there, 

A lesson learnt by these young (smart) travellers, 

You should be able to leave your property any where. Especially in the land of budda 

18 hours ago, Dave67 said:

Sena is not in Ayuttaya then?

I am sorry, I think you should trust your source, just mention them next time so others can decide the reliability of the source from themselves

For your information the Ayutthaya you are referring to is the province that;s why Sena is called Sena

Unless you were referring to the temples in Sena/ province Ayutthaya then I would not know, I only know about the temples in Amphur Ayutthaya

13 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

There are, daily, glowing reports about the 'fast growing economy Thailands'. Sadly, only a minority of Thais benefits from it. And, despite an official unemployment rate of "1.6%", or so, there are many more out of work and increasingly desperate. My prediction is that crime, not last towards tourists, will rise significantly in the future! Tourists need to know that Thailand is not the safe tourist destination anymore that it was, say, 20 years ago. Travel guide books and internet information about safety precautions for Thailand are often outdated, and need to be updated to reflect the current socio-economic changes and implications for tourists who travel off the beaten track.

And I think all the workers are also benefiting from the growing economy and not only the group you are referring too. If these people did not have the mind of starting these businesses the majority of Thai would still be picking banana's, in my idea they are entitle to make more money.

My prediction is that crime will lower significantly so tourist should know Thailand is a safe destination. Based on the same principals you used for your 'prediction'

10 minutes ago, jumbo said:

I am sorry, I think you should trust your source, just mention them next time so others can decide the reliability of the source from themselves

For your information the Ayutthaya you are referring to is the province that;s why Sena is called Sena

Unless you were referring to the temples in Sena/ province Ayutthaya then I would not know, I only know about the temples in Amphur Ayutthaya

You must have a Business in Ayutthaya, NO CRIME HAS EVER BEEN COMMITTED IN THE AMPHUR OF AYUTTHAYA APART FROM THE ONE IN THE HEADLINE, Is that ok? 

12 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

You should be able to leave your property any where. Especially in the land of budda 

All over the world would be nice ,a great thought, but where humans are concerned  

taking some else 's property  is far too easy.

Ali Baba is alive and well!

1 hour ago, Dave67 said:

You must have a Business in Ayutthaya, NO CRIME HAS EVER BEEN COMMITTED IN THE AMPHUR OF AYUTTHAYA APART FROM THE ONE IN THE HEADLINE, Is that ok? 

No I would state it the exact other way around

7 hours ago, jumbo said:

And I think all the workers are also benefiting from the growing economy and not only the group you are referring too. If these people did not have the mind of starting these businesses the majority of Thai would still be picking banana's, in my idea they are entitle to make more money.

My prediction is that crime will lower significantly so tourist should know Thailand is a safe destination. Based on the same principals you used for your 'prediction'

Fair enough. However, I just read an article in the "Bangkok Post" today, lining out exactly what I meant, i.e. the disproportionate benefitting of economic growth by certain groups vs. others. 

21 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

I lived in Cairo for 2 and a half years, and yes you were smart to decline their very kind offer. Although I think your above comment is a bit uncharitable. There's a difference between being a little naïve and not being smart (ie. stupid). They may just not be well-travelled. I've been to the same place they were at and it's not a place you expect to get robbed. But having lived abroad in various countries (some of them touristy), I, like yourself, always take some precautions in such places.

If I was too harsh, I apologise, but I've been reading about bag thefts most of my adult life. It's not something people wouldn't know about, but many think it won't happen to them.

I assume that no place anywhere is safe from thieves and bad people and act accordingly at all times, wherever I may be. I learned that the hard way.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

On 3/15/2018 at 8:37 AM, leeneeds said:

One gathers that the tourist had No idea of their personal  security,

opportunistic theft, was decided on that spur of the moment, 

happens the world over, one would do better to research a country you are going to visit, the information is out there, 

A lesson learnt by these young (smart) travellers, 

Situational awareness and protecting ones own valuables help everywhere in the world. They are lucky they were not burn with powerful face melting acid as is the style in the UK these days. 

Edited by The manic

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If I was too harsh, I apologise, but I've been reading about bag thefts most of my adult life. It's not something people wouldn't know about, but many think it won't happen to them.

I assume that no place anywhere is safe from thieves and bad people and act accordingly at all times, wherever I may be. I learned that the hard way.

I have never carried my valuables in a bag. Who does? 

On 3/15/2018 at 8:43 AM, Dave67 said:

Apart from the big Temples in Ayuttaya, the smaller ones and the surrounding gardens are no-go areas for the locals. Homeless ,drug addicts carrying our robberies as above

I doubt that. Both groups are highly visible to the police and easy to target. In this case the thief had a motor bike and may well be hiding at home. He will need excellent contacts to sell passports and bank cards. Regarding your comment. Not all homeless people or poor people are criminals and most drug users are not criminals apart from the breaking the corrupt anti drug laws. If you wish to identify any groups as thieves I suggest you consider you aiming your barbs at more influential people higher up the social ladder.  

• Thanks 1