Water - To Drink Or Not To Drink That Is The Quest

MartinB

I have been in Thailand for three years and have always bought bottle water to drink. I normally buy the six-litre job for about thirty-eight bht. However, about 2 months ago I moved to a new apartment, which has a water machine in the basement, so like most of the locals I started to use it. Thought it was a bargain at one bht for one litre. Then just recently I noticed that more and more of the locals are buying their water at the premium price from 7-11. This got me thinking about these water machines. Just how do they work and are they really OK to drink? If any of the readers know the answers I would be interested to know. In the meantime I have reverted back to the shop bought bottle water at the higher price.

Cheers.

In Pattaya and Bang Phli, where I can buy bottled water, that's what my wife and I drink.

When we go to Chaiyaphum (province, not town) we drink the rainwater in the big stone jars, just like everyone else.

Don't like going to Chaiyaphum, sleeping on wooden floor, shower with ladle, crap in hole-in-ground, drink green water, etc., more than twice a year - but then I'm a sybarite.

I also asked about this not long ago, didn't get far.

There are 2 of those water dispensers here in the village. They claim to use a ''REVERSE OSMOSIS'' process...

I do see people use them quite often.

Been drinking it for 2 months now, feel fine.

If i grow an extra limb or something i'll let you know. :o

reverse osmosis I am happy with , but can you trust the maintenance? don't know

some of the others I have seen say ultra violet treated water, this I avoid...

I still usually just buy a few of the 6 litre bottles and some 12 packs at the big C.

also ice here in thailand...I have had ice from many different sources during my time here and have never considered it to have caused me a health problem.

:o

While it can't be said for rural areas, the water source in Bangkok is supposedly safe to drink. I usually buy bottled water, but have no qualms about swigging from the sink when I run out (I'm in central Bangkok). It tastes a bit chemically, but has never had any ill effect.

Such machinery requires some good maintenance - it is not so easy to keep them working to produce clean water....

I am worried and usually I drink only from bottles. Only water which is boiled in front of my eyes, like for tea, I will drink.

IMODIUM tablets in case of running to the toilet are always in my bag of emergency....

My overall impression is, that Thailand became very much more cleaner during the last 10 years....People are more cautious about clean and healthy food....

However the source of problems is often not the water itself, but the glass, the pot, the cup or even your own fingers. Thailand is windy, warm and humid...ideal place for bacteria related infections.

Waterbottles, vacuum packed food, aircon supermarkets with big freezers....

clean toilets and so on.... It is easy now to buy clean water and clean food....

Johann

As mentioned above, reverse osmosis units require constant, qualified maintenance so I would not trust them with just anyone changing the filters/screens etc. I stick with the bottled water...more labor-intensive and more hassle but safer. :o

While it can't be said for rural areas, the water source in Bangkok is supposedly safe to drink. I usually buy bottled water, but have no qualms about swigging from the sink when I run out (I'm in central Bangkok). It tastes a bit chemically, but has never had any ill effect.

I agree with you on this. The tap water is fine to drink; probably the same water

in those 5 baht plastic bottles, seriously. I think there is more of a risk from ice due

to unclean dispensers. A few years ago a science teacher at a local university tested tap water and various brands of bottled water and they were all safe.

The only bad time to drink tap water is during a drought because of excessive sediment in the water; rusty brown color.