Porsche Panamera goes up in flames during battery charge in Bangkok

webfact

Porsche Panamera goes up in flames during battery charge

By The Nation

b927a795442ac34a297edbb4b383e6fe-sld.jpe

A Bt10-million Porsche Panamera caught fire while its battery was recharging in Bangkok’s Taling Chan district early Friday and the flames also damaged the owner’s luxury home.

Police and firefighters were summoned at 6.30am and arrived to find the sports car already engulfed and fire in the living room of the house.

After the blaze was extinguished, homeowner Natthawut Kritaya-ayanont estimated the damage to the living room and his home-theatre system at Bt6 million, while the car cost Bt10 million.

d108417a8d9b680a31e4b4560d59a538-sld.jpe

He said his mother bought the car last September. She’d taken it out Thursday evening to do errands and returned home at 10pm.

As per her routine, she plugged in the home battery-recharging kit and went to bed. Natthawut heard an explosion at 6am, when the family was still in bed.

They rushed downstairs to find the car on fire and the fire spreading.

Porsche encourages Panamera owners to frequently recharge the battery with the home kit provided because the car’s many electronic components use a lot of power.

The car was insured, Natthawut said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30341053

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-16

9 minutes ago, Tapster said:

What does a red plate mean? 

Depends on the car and how important the driver thinks he/she is. ??

Means new, or in many cases if it's a high end super car that has been illegally imported and might be difficult to get a plate for.

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Depends on the car and how important the driver thinks he/she is. ??

Means new, or in many cases if it's a high end super car that has been illegally imported and might be difficult to get a plate for.

I was told that dealers don’t have to pay the tax on their sales until the proper plates replace the temporary red ones. So many drag their feet doing this to smooth their cash flow and massage the owner’s egos by prolonging the period everyone thinks they have a new car. Why they can’t pre-issue plates to dealers like in sensible countries, I don’t know, wait.......

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

Why they can’t pre-issue plates to dealers like in sensible countries, I don’t know, wait.......

Actually, getting rid of the whole red-plate debacle was mooted last year. Nothing has come of it ...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

I was told that dealers don’t have to pay the tax on their sales until the proper plates replace the temporary red ones. So many drag their feet doing this to smooth their cash flow and massage the owner’s egos by prolonging the period everyone thinks they have a new car. Why they can’t pre-issue plates to dealers like in sensible countries, I don’t know, wait.......

Then again mate's Dad in UK years ago always had to have the new letter plate volvo in the driveway every year.

I brought a 68 Holby Hunter back from Germany in 77 and the BAOR plate was replaced with an S reg for that year. When he saw it he was speechless for a long time. ??

Looked like this one.

images (1).jpeg

Edited by overherebc
add photo

21 minutes ago, mike324 said:

most likely the power socket wasn't up to spec to handle the load, there are a lot of fake power sockets

I've had two of the ones that coil up inside the case ruined by the maid because very few people know you have uncoil 100% of it before use. Total melt down on one and the other was just catching fire before it blew the fuses.

'If' this type and it overheats in the company of H2 coming from battery etc, bang!!!!

images (10).jpeg

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 2

Red plates ..... when I first moved to China foreign owned cars had black plates and Chinese owned had blue. Cars belonging to foreigners, joint-stock companies, foreign companies and diplomatic staff black with white writing. 

They’ve changed to blue w/white letters to all cars now. 

Problem with special  plates to show foreigners or in paid cash for car. 

You become a target. 

In China com artist would see black plates fake an accident to get 

money. The country figured it out.  

Funny story we were watching traffic from balcony in China. A Con tried 

this the police came..... and bitched slapped the Con and sent him on his way. 

What do do you do when a car hits you (walking) in China? Run!

I think they’ve got under better control now but some people said 

Mindset was you hit someone back up and run them over again to make sure their dead. Its was cheaper for death than long time for person with disability. 

Saw Law it happen to a baby once on news coverage. Very sad..

but now I’m living in Thailand and I don’t know the history but almost

positive Chinese taught them to drive 

58 minutes ago, mike324 said:

most likely the power socket wasn't up to spec to handle the load, there are a lot of fake power sockets

It's a hard wired EV charging station, comes with the car and has Porsche branding, unlikely to be fake (but one never knows of course).

• Like 2