Porsche Panamera goes up in flames during battery charge in Bangkok

webfact

39 minutes ago, Crossy said:

It's a hard wired EV charging station, comes with the car and has Porsche branding, unlikely to be fake (but one never knows of course).

Actually when I mention fake power socket, I mean power socket on walls. More than half of the power sockets you buy in mom and pop shops in Thailand are fake - eg. fake panasonic ones. They are not up to spec and can't handle loads, that is why electronic fires are somewhat common in Thailand too, but less because fake ones are made pretty well nowadays compare to before. Even many building contractors use fake or unknowingly buy fake ones.

Hybrid porsche comes with a charger, and its not hard wired. Here is a video of how the charger looks like. My friend has a hybrid porsche and I've seen it. I know they also sell a wall mounted version, maybe that has to be hard wired as it may charge faster. Not many home users buy wall mounted ones, they are expensive.

Edited by mike324
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

I've had two of the ones that coil up inside the case ruined by the maid because very few people know you have uncoil 100% of it before use. Total melt down on one and the other was just catching fire before it blew the fuses.

'If' this type and it overheats in the company of H2 coming from battery etc, bang!!!!

Yea, coil extension cords are somewhat dangerous, heat builds up and can't dissipate fast enough if you are using it under heavy load. The one in the picture is a super cheap and lower quality one which is commonly found in thailand, I've been shocked by it a couple years ago! Thank god I'm still here.

24 minutes ago, mike324 said:

Yea, coil extension cords are somewhat dangerous, heat builds up and can't dissipate fast enough if you are using it under heavy load. The one in the picture is a super cheap and lower quality one which is commonly found in thailand, I've been shocked by it a couple years ago! Thank god I'm still here.

I ended up being hated by a so called expat safety officer in a construction yard who instructed all the welders to neatly coil all their cables on hooks while they were working because on the floor they were a trip hazard. I stopped the work and made them uncoil and lay them loosely on the floor as before.

Twenty minutes later the SO came into my office and asked 'did you get all the cables moved'?

I replied yes because some fookin idiot wanted them all coiled up so he could start a fire.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2018 at 3:15 PM, mike324 said:

Hybrid porsche comes with a charger, and its not hard wired. Here is a video of how the charger looks like. My friend has a hybrid porsche and I've seen it. I know they also sell a wall mounted version, maybe that has to be hard wired as it may charge faster. Not many home users buy wall mounted ones, they are expensive.

Yeah, my mate has the wall mounted unit and it's definitely hard-wired, I wasn't aware of the portable (or even if he has one).

6 hours ago, overherebc said:

Then again mate's Dad in UK years ago always had to have the new letter plate volvo in the driveway every year.

I brought a 68 Holby Hunter back from Germany in 77 and the BAOR plate was replaced with an S reg for that year. When he saw it he was speechless for a long time. ??

Looked like this one.

images (1).jpeg

That's a Hunter GLS, not a "Holbay Hunter", whatever that was(n't)!  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

That's a Hunter GLS, not a "Holbay Hunter", whatever that was(n't)!  

You're not wrong. That's why I said 'looked like this one'

The Holby engine was a Chrysler based engine that was a bit different in carburation, camshaft and compression and most were badged as GT.

Rootes built body and a few tweaks on the engine, twin Strombergs rather than the standard single carb version, not 100% sure but the gearbox my have had different ratios or the back axle had. Inside one of the main differences was the instrument cover that was flat while most models had a sort of two eyebrow type style.

Anything else?

18 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Actually, it's a Hillman Hunter GLS with the Holbay engine kicking out 110HP of grunt. 

http://www.paykanhunter.com/2011/05/maxustaxus-gls.html

I got mine badged as a GT sold new in Germany.

I got it for next to nothing because at the time is was built there was a strike ongoing in the car industry and it had at that time not had the top coat applied and had been stored outside. At the end of the strike it must have been one of the first to get it's top coat on top of the not properly dried base coat. (damp )

I think I bought it in 73/74 and the top coat would come off in bits/sheets as it was being driven.

Look like crap but went like sh-t of a shovel.

A good respray and it looked good and went well for many years.

??

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

That wasn't the cost of the theatre system, the OP said it was the estimate of the damage to the house and the system.

You are right.

damage to the living room and his home-theatre system at Bt6 million,

Still quite impressive :smile:

18 hours ago, overherebc said:

You're not wrong. That's why I said 'looked like this one'

The Holby engine was a Chrysler based engine that was a bit different in carburation, camshaft and compression and most were badged as GT.

Rootes built body and a few tweaks on the engine, twin Strombergs rather than the standard single carb version, not 100% sure but the gearbox my have had different ratios or the back axle had. Inside one of the main differences was the instrument cover that was flat while most models had a sort of two eyebrow type style.

Anything else?

"Anything else?"

Yes.  The GT did not have the Holbay modded engine, only the GLS had that. They were two different models with different specs.

14 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

"Anything else?"

Yes.  The GT did not have the Holbay modded engine, only the GLS had that. They were two different models with different specs.

Depends on domestic or export orders. In the late 60's early 70's it was a lot easier to get orders like engine spec's etc changed as especially as UK production lines didn't work on the 'last minute'  supply  system. The one I got even had a vinyl roof fitted. 

If you wanted you could really go OTT and I think Crayford would take your basic car and make it into a convertible. Never seen one though.

Edited by overherebc

1 minute ago, cmsally said:

The one thing I have discovered from this occurrence is that Thais pronounce Porsche as Por-chez (all the news presenters). Its driving me crazy.

You might be surprised to learn how Porsche is actually pronounced... 

the Thai way is a lot closer to the correct way than the English way, calling it a Porsh.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mike324 said:

I mean power socket on walls. More than half of the power sockets you buy in mom and pop shops in Thailand are fake - eg. fake panasonic

"Matsukami"   1/3  the price  seem quite good quality so far.

5aae121d7198b_P_20180129_130308(Large).jpg.feccd273d1a3bfed77059fed8b983613.jpg

5aae1223b36cf_P_20180129_130320(Large).jpg.c596109038e4e0a683950438893d2fe8.jpg

5aae122a625e6_P_20180129_130349(Large).jpg.af5a7fab9121b6964eed446a0d1705f8.jpg

15 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

the Thai way is a lot closer to the correct way than the English way, calling it a Porsh.

There was a Britisth comedy  show  ( maybe absolutely fabulous ?)  where she always  said Porsh-a

Back on topic.

Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but, apparently, the vehicle in question didn't come via the official Porsche dealership, it was a grey import.

Just how that makes it any more likely to catch fire I'm not sure.

Unless it had a hooky LPG conversion which seems to be the way other supercars get around the import taxes (and they do have a nasty habit of going up in smoke).

54 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Back on topic.

Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but, apparently, the vehicle in question didn't come via the official Porsche dealership, it was a grey import.

Just how that makes it any more likely to catch fire I'm not sure.

Unless it had a hooky LPG conversion which seems to be the way other supercars get around the import taxes (and they do have a nasty habit of going up in smoke).

Are grey imports CKD and put together here or arrive as complete cars?

30 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Are grey imports CKD and put together here or arrive as complete cars?

I'm assuming they come in as whole units just not via the official dealerships.

If the charging gubbins had to be modified because it came from a non-220V 50Hz country all bets are off.

From the photos in The Nation it's right hand drive (steering wheel on the right), the only drive-on-the-left country I know which is not 220V is Japan.

10 minutes ago, Crossy said:

If the charging gubbins had to be modified because it came from a non-220V 50Hz country all bets are off.

From the photos in The Nation it's right hand drive (steering wheel on the right), the only drive-on-the-left country I know which is not 220V is Japan.

All that would fit.

Strange in Japan as 50% of the country is 50Hz and 50% is 60Hz as well at 100v or was a couple of years ago.

Edited by overherebc

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Yup grey markets come as whole units. I believe Thailand banned registration under "assembled cars".

Here is a picture of the burnt charging unit, http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/porsche-car-destroyed-overnight-charging/

It is the one that comes standard with the car, a three pin charging adapter you plug into power outlets. Its not a hard wire charging unit that charges faster. Base on reports, the owner also say they plug the charger unit into power outlets.

The fire is most likely caused by home electrical wires that overheated, not able to handle the load.

Edited by mike324
  • Like 1