Watana welcomes Future Forward Party, takes swipe at junta

rooster59

Watana welcomes Future Forward Party, takes swipe at junta

By The Nation

ebb861f5a910bdfc3b3c32ae35fa5c2e.jpeg

Watana Muangsook

Veteran politician Watana Muangsook posted on Facebook on Friday, welcoming the new progressive Future Forward Party that is to be led by pro-democracy billionaire Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit.

Thanathorn on Thursday requested permission from the Election Commission to form the party.

The auto-parts tycoon then held a press conference the same day under the close watch of the junta, as the ban on political assembly remains in force.

Watana wrote on Facebook that he congratulated the party for its pre-registration.

However, he also slammed the junta, citing what he said was an attempt to block new parties like Future Forward by continuing to press the ban on political activity, or by some sort of allegation of a stance critical to the monarchy.

Watana said he wanted to pass on his moral support to the party, which he hoped would help bring back people’s politics, while enabling more young bloods to enter politics and ending the junta’s rule.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30341116

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-17
  • Sad 1

Any new political party that needs (or even wants) the "moral support" of this ex-PTP trough feeder is off to a bad start. He only licks boot now because he hopes for a "future" for himself, which may not necessarily be "forward" but rather stepping in place with no progress whatsoever. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

I could be wrong, but I get the feeling that Watana is making a feeble attempt to jump on the 'Politics of Youth' bandwagon, having sensed, like many of us, that the Young Turks' 'Future Forward' is looking like the brightest way to go.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Good for him. A reasoned and intelligent man who  I hope is part of Thailand's future but nothing will change until the Dinosaurs have died out.

Are you referring to Watana or Thanathorn?         Watana is a "veteran politician", thus a dinosaur.

Thanathorn OTOH, although from the establishment elite, seems to represent a new voice and new ideas. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Watana is a "veteran politician", thus a dinosaur.

That doesn't always necessarily follow. As long as you maintain a healthy degree of skepticism about people like Watana, there might be some value in the last gasp of this dying dinosaur, so to speak - :smile:. He is, after all, provoking the other dinosaur, the military, and that's not always such a bad thing. He is useful, even though he is tainted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Are you referring to Watana or Thanathorn?         Watana is a "veteran politician", thus a dinosaur.

Thanathorn OTOH, although from the establishment elite, seems to represent a new voice and new ideas. 

Watana, Thanathorn is an unknown quantity but there is hope!  Watana is a man of ethics and principal and I don't count him anyway near the dinosaurs of the Amaart Old Guard who would gobble him up in a jiffy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, saakura said:

. . . then why cant Wattana  the dinosaur from the "old political clique" be a guiding force . . .

I and a few others, it seems, are not saying that Watana couldn't do this. It's more a gut feeling that he's seen the Thanathorn train as a rather handy way of getting to the next station . . . his station, that is, as opposed to Future Forward's.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ossy said:

I and a few others, it seems, are not saying that Watana couldn't do this. It's more a gut feeling that he's seen the Thanathorn train as a rather handy way of getting to the next station . . . his station, that is, as opposed to Future Forward's.

And I and a few others are saying that given his stance in the last few years, Wattana should be given the benefit of doubt, just as we are giving to a hitherto unknown person Thanathorn, who is in the limelight solely due to his wealth and pedigree. No one has heard of him or of his vision and policies. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, saakura said:

And I and a few others are saying that given his stance in the last few years, Wattana should be given the benefit of doubt, just as we are giving to a hitherto unknown person Thanathorn, who is in the limelight solely due to his wealth and pedigree. No one has heard of him or of his vision and policies. 

Yes, you're right . . . I'm guilty of pre-judging the man and, admittedly, about whom I know nothing. Like I said in my first post, it was just that 'feeling' I got from Watana's 'timely' announcement.

4 hours ago, saakura said:

On the contrary, unlike Abhisit and many others, he was one of the very few who stood up loudly to the bullying of the ruling junta right from the day when they banned free expression of thoughts. He was not intimidated by repeated threats and AA (attitude adjustment) sessions. Bringing up the connection to the bogeyman in every instance does not work. 

So you think he was a honest ethical impartial PTP MP?

Did he accept the salary paid by Thaksin to PTP MP's or refuse it?

How did he vote in the Amnesty for Thaksin bills fiasco?

Sorry but anyone connected to Thaksin, that is a very relevant connection to be noted.

• Thanks 1

Watana said he wanted to pass on his moral support to the party, which he hoped would help bring back people’s politics, while enabling more young bloods to enter politics and ending the junta’s rule.

Good for him - if he's sincere 

but

why now?

why did he not pass on moral support to people

who were pro democracy and for this reason against the shins, corruption and cronyism ?

9 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Why? Wattana is pro democracy and stood steadfast and boldly confronting anti democracy group of rightist elites and the military and quasi political parties that occasionally sold out their democratic values. Thanathorn has the same noble democratic principles and new to the political intrigues and rightly so deserved support from anyone who subscribed to universal suffrage. 

"Wattana is pro democracy..." 

Interested to see how you can support that statement el, with some specifics.

17 hours ago, sweatalot said:

Good for him - if he's sincere 

but

why now?

why did he not pass on moral support to people

who were pro democracy and for this reason against the shins, corruption and cronyism ?

Indeed he did stand firm against the Junta and, you are right, for the PTP which WON every election or did you forget that bit?  whether you like it or not they won by popular vote and would do so again today and so they have to be stopped by the elite right?