First British Passport for baby born in Thailand Experiences

I did similar last month. 1st passport for our 6 year old and 2nd passports for our 15 year old twins. The process was flawless. II think it took about 10 days from application to when they were available for collection. They have a very slick operation going on there at Trendy.

I hope I'll be able to say the same when we get the result for my wife's 6 month tourist application we applied for a few days ago. That process was very fast too. Way better than the 4 hour debacle we endured 7 years go at the old place.  

• Like 1

Thanks Ed for taking the time to post this very useful and helpful info, it's very much appreciated. I noticed you say colour copies. Is this their requirement or did you just do it that way. Enjoy your time in the U. K. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

Thanks Ed for taking the time to post this very useful and helpful info, it's very much appreciated. I noticed you say colour copies. Is this their requirement or did you just do it that way. Enjoy your time in the U. K. 

In the guidance notes it requests colour copies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OOLEEBER said:

I did similar last month. 1st passport for our 6 year old and 2nd passports for our 15 year old twins. The process was flawless. II think it took about 10 days from application to when they were available for collection. They have a very slick operation going on there at Trendy.

I hope I'll be able to say the same when we get the result for my wife's 6 month tourist application we applied for a few days ago. That process was very fast too. Way better than the 4 hour debacle we endured 7 years go at the old place.  

We applied for 2 tourist visas for wife's mum and dad last year and the process was very quick, a week to when we were informed of a successful application. That was their second TV.

Edited by edwinchester
  • Thanks 1

In providing advice and assistance to Brits out in deepest Isaan for passport renewal, the major difficulty comes in providing proof of address.  An official letter such as a pension payment, tax demand, insurance bill etc is fine as long as it shows the name and address in English, or can be translated. However many Brits resident here have no such documents apart from a Yellow Book. Although the Yellow book is valid indefinitely once issued , or at least until there is a change of address. HMPO refuse to accept this as proof for residence  if it is more than 1 year old.  In fact whatever is submited must be less than 1 year old (including driving licences).

Edwinchester's account above relects the service we have always received from VFS.  so long as all the documents are in order,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prakhonchai nick said:

In providing advice and assistance to Brits out in deepest Isaan for passport renewal, the major difficulty comes in providing proof of address.  An official letter such as a pension payment, tax demand, insurance bill etc is fine as long as it shows the name and address in English, or can be translated. However many Brits resident here have no such documents apart from a Yellow Book. Although the Yellow book is valid indefinitely once issued , or at least until there is a change of address. HMPO refuse to accept this as proof for residence  if it is more than 1 year old.  In fact whatever is submited must be less than 1 year old (including driving licences).

Edwinchester's account above relects the service we have always received from VFS.  so long as all the documents are in order,

Both our house blue book and my yellow book were issued 10 years ago. Both were accepted by HMPO as proof of address.

22 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Both our house blue book and my yellow book were issued 10 years ago. Both were accepted by HMPO as proof of address.

Thanks for that information. It was VFS that rejected the yellow book before it even got to Liverpool

11 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Thanks for that information. It was VFS that rejected the yellow book before it even got to Liverpool

Strange although thinking about it my daughter's entry in the blue book is last September so I wonder if this helped my wife's proof of address even though her entry is 10 years old?

Doesn't explain my address, as the person applying on behalf of our daughter, being accepted in a 10 year old yellow book.

Maybe my good luck, a change of policy or your bad luck.

On 3/17/2018 at 1:24 PM, edwinchester said:

Copy of our daughters passport picture countersignatory.

I understand that this a colour copy of the biodata page of the passport belonging to the person countersigning the child's passport picture.

I need to get a first British passport for our newest family member, born here so this is a timely check-list. The British friend who lived here and countersigned my older boy's first British passport as well as both my passport renewals has passed away. I note from the online guidance that the countersignatory can be from a 'Commonwealth country' so I assume that another long-time friend from New Zealand will be acceptable.

50 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I understand that this a colour copy of the biodata page of the passport belonging to the person countersigning the child's passport picture.

I need to get a first British passport for our newest family member, born here so this is a timely check-list. The British friend who lived here and countersigned my older boy's first British passport as well as both my passport renewals has passed away. I note from the online guidance that the countersignatory can be from a 'Commonwealth country' so I assume that another long-time friend from New Zealand will be acceptable.

Yes, that's the way I understand it too.

My friend, the Thai teacher who HMPO turned down as countersignatory, was most put out when I joked it wouldn't have been a problem if she was Malaysian.

If time isn't a problem you could always send the application and a photo back to the UK if you know a suitably qualified person there, they complete their part, send back to you in Thailand and you take to Trendy.

Edited by edwinchester

7 minutes ago, baansgr said:

What about her birth cert,  I remember a long time ago they used to issue both,  or is this something you need to do when in UK.  I don't want to deviate from your topic but it is relevant to the subject. 

Our daughter was born in Thailand. Birth certificate was obtained from the Tessabaan in town.

Translation to English cost 300 baht.

I stand to be corrected but I don't believe you can get a UK birth certificate from the British Embassy, merely register a birth there which is not good enough to support a passport application.

Edited by edwinchester

23 minutes ago, markaoffy said:

All these folk having kids in Thailand with Thai partners and then getting dual nationality and 2 passports no doubt with ever setting foot in Uk! What a soft touch Uk is !

Where are you from and why don't they do it?

https://www.gov.uk/dual-citizenship

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_citizenship

Edited by evadgib

Our daughter was born in Thailand. Birth certificate was obtained from the Tessabaan in town.
Translation to English cost 300 baht.
I stand to be corrected but I don't believe you can get a UK birth certificate from the British Embassy, merely register a birth there which is not good enough to support a passport application.
Yes. The birth certificate needs to be issued in the country of birth, in this case, Thailand.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 3/18/2018 at 7:24 PM, markaoffy said:

All these folk having kids in Thailand with Thai partners and then getting dual nationality and 2 passports no doubt with ever setting foot in Uk! What a soft touch Uk is !

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

But the children are of British parentage so are entitled to British nationality