More Wi-Fi hotspots for Phuket as plan to tag tourists mulled

Jonathan Fairfield

Even my homeland, the ever-growing police/surveillance State, hasn't gone this far. It's still only a wetdream for them.

If the Thai government pulls this off they will come much closer to the Orwellian 1984 nightmare that most governments deeply crave to inflict on their citizens.

For their safety and protection of course!

Needless to say, this is just more empty talk from the Thai government while the wholesale carnage and slaughter of both foreign and domestic people on what is euphemistically called the highway system here continues unabated.

At least they have their priorities straight! (sarcasm)

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's all you lazy cowards who have put up with tm30 BS fault.   I can tell you less than half my time in Thailand they know where I'm staying.   

My point is you old retirees have accepted these rules so this is just the next step.   One time I complained about the hotels tracking me and some farang stood up for Thailand.  

2 hours ago, tryasimight said:

As usual the paranoid nutters go right off yet again. 

Read the article again chaps..... The words were 'may consider'. I doubt it will happen for quite a while in that format.... If ever.  The facial technology combined with smartphone pretty well removes the need for tracking bracelets. 

To the 1984 quoters....... I sincerely hope you don't use any apps on your smartphone. If you do, please  revisit the permissions you gave the apps.  Your phone can turn your camera and microphone on any time the app decides to,  it can make and receive calls without your permission, send messages, change data stored on your phone etc, etc

I think it was Zuckerberg on tour recently with both the camera and microphone on his device covered up. He knows. 

In the very near future you will not need to go through passport control in Australia.  They are proposing to use facial recognition solely. 

If you think a dust mask can fool this tech then you need to think again.  To beat the system you would need major craniofacial surgery to move your eyeballs,cheeks,nose from their present position.  Not something the average pensioner posting ( or many other people) on this forum will be doing in a hurry.

"As usual the paranoid nutters go right off yet again. 

Read the article again chaps..... The words were 'may consider'."

And as usual, the "paranoid nutters" get upset because of the sheer stupidity to even think of "considering" such a proposal/plan!

The same "paranoid nutters" that got upset when it was proposed to fine someone 100,000 baht and/ or a year in jail for smoking a cigarette on the beach?

I am not suggesting for one moment that this "plan" will ever see the light of day, but I am constantly astonished at some of the statements made by people who obviously have forgotten to engage their brain first - the problem with people buying their jobs instead of earning them.

Why not inject microchips under the skin at immigration entry?  They can track the visitor not only while traveling around Thailand but everywhere else too.  Just think of all that data they can sell!  WOW!!!  Can't wait for this one to be implemented! grin

Can we please start with the Russian mafia and thai mafia in phuket please and maybe even the corrupt police as well before the tourists take up the Wrist band option 

<deleted> good bye phuket the city that no tourist goes to if they bring this in 

Absolutely glueless government once more 

Well well...

Dont worry at first its will be only "recomanded" for tourist to wear those wristbands  and they will be easly put on and off.
A little while later  when most of the people will get used to wear it, they will become mandatory for your security and you will be fined if you dont have it on you.
Next steep will be to make those wristbands  hard/impossible to remove without the help of the autority because only bad people would ever think at remove it.
And last  you will be deported/jailled if you dont wear one because that will be a proof that you intent to do illegal activity.

Steep by steep its how its work, and to know what is the next steep  you just have to listen what autority say that they will "never do" when they defend the actual steep.

Since the junta came to power, wrist bands for tourists has been a popular topic by TAT.

"Thailand on Tuesday announced plans to give tourists wristbands carrying their personal details and install more surveillance cameras and better lighting in major tourist areas." October 2014.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/765502-would-you-wear-a-tourist-wristband/

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2014/09/thailand-considers-id-wristbands-for-tourists/#tUzBBzhhjs4SdHrY.97

If it's voluntary, then could be a good idea. Parents might appreciate it for their children, or those who are visiting obscure places or walking around at night.

It could also put off criminals messing with you if they see you wearing one.

If it makes people feel safer, then some will use it, and once it becomes a common sight, then many more will choose to use it.

Its not even april fools yet and the phuket master minds are at it again.

Thats getting pretty close to the mark of the beast in revelations. Maybe phuket is trying to usher in the apocolypse. Pass right on by the 4.0 and into the end times

Its so rediculouse i cant even really say much else. Cause i might get my 3rd strike. And the way things are that might not be such s bad thing really.

On 3/18/2018 at 1:07 PM, Cranky said:

I'm sure they'd welcome it if it helped them avoid being fitted up for every crime agains humanity

They are responsible for allot of crimes not all obviously but I do respect the thai way of protecting their people before others. Burma is a threat to Thailand due to history in other words give them an inch they shall take 10 miles

allot of them seem like nice people. Th Thais do talk to most of them with respect but they don’t trust them and neither they us

5 hours ago, SunsetT said:

Phuket Mafia training manual:

Section 4) Appendix a)

1) When murdering, robbing and/or raping a tourist ensure you remove and destroy wristband. Remove hand if necessary.

Common future Phuket police report: "Foreigner committed suicide by ramming a knife into his back, before cutting off his hand." :ph34r:

On 3/17/2018 at 4:36 PM, CGW said:

The naivety here is surprising! were all tracked anyway! computer, smart phone, bank cards, convenience cards, cctv, etc - probably worse in your own country, the Thais have the same technology, they just don't know how to use it so they come up with crap like this!

true but as you say, this is crap - why apply it only to foreign tourists? Who's a tourist btw? Even though there are hundreds of thousands of western and Asian expats living in Thailand, along with as many as 3 million Myanmar, Lao and Cambodian migrant workers, are they too counted as "tourists"?

This scheme sounds like a repeat of what the Nazis did to the Jews. 1939 - Nazis tag Jews. 2018 - Phuket tags foreigners? Will they put a different tag depending on the race or nationality of the person?

5 hours ago, quadperfect said:

Its not even april fools yet and the phuket master minds are at it again.

Thats getting pretty close to the mark of the beast in revelations. Maybe phuket is trying to usher in the apocolypse. Pass right on by the 4.0 and into the end times

Its so rediculouse i cant even really say much else. Cause i might get my 3rd strike. And the way things are that might not be such s bad thing really.

Yes, that's what I was thinking. But who are the Thais to demand only foreigners get the "mark of the beast"? This mark of the beast, which could be a tag at first and a microchip later is supposed to apply to ALL people irrespective of race, gender or nationality. I would think it would most likely be rolled out by governments covering all persons residing within their jurisdiction. There has been quite a bit of talk about microchips in the media over the years.

Only the elite would be exempt from this plan.

On 3/18/2018 at 10:24 PM, RocketDog said:

Even my homeland, the ever-growing police/surveillance State, hasn't gone this far. It's still only a wetdream for them.

If the Thai government pulls this off they will come much closer to the Orwellian 1984 nightmare that most governments deeply crave to inflict on their citizens.

For their safety and protection of course!

Needless to say, this is just more empty talk from the Thai government while the wholesale carnage and slaughter of both foreign and domestic people on what is euphemistically called the highway system here continues unabated.

At least they have their priorities straight! (sarcasm)

Yep! You summed it up perfectly.

I would find it absolutely amazing if they managed to pull this off yet continue to turn a blind eye to the thousands upon thousands of motorcycle riders who decide to ride against the flow of traffic daily.

On 3/18/2018 at 10:24 PM, tryasimight said:

As usual the paranoid nutters go right off yet again. 

Read the article again chaps..... The words were 'may consider'. I doubt it will happen for quite a while in that format.... If ever.  The facial technology combined with smartphone pretty well removes the need for tracking bracelets. 

To the 1984 quoters....... I sincerely hope you don't use any apps on your smartphone. If you do, please  revisit the permissions you gave the apps.  Your phone can turn your camera and microphone on any time the app decides to,  it can make and receive calls without your permission, send messages, change data stored on your phone etc, etc

I think it was Zuckerberg on tour recently with both the camera and microphone on his device covered up. He knows. 

In the very near future you will not need to go through passport control in Australia.  They are proposing to use facial recognition solely. 

If you think a dust mask can fool this tech then you need to think again.  To beat the system you would need major craniofacial surgery to move your eyeballs,cheeks,nose from their present position.  Not something the average pensioner posting ( or many other people) on this forum will be doing in a hurry.

why are people even bringing up pensioners? The article as I read it says, tourist.  Also, it is being proposed for Phuket. 

If I was a betting person, I would wager this will go the way of the "falang tracking sim card."

Archived