Engineer reported cracks in bridge before fatal collapse - transportation agency

rooster59

In 1973, a 24 story building under construction in Bailey's Crossroads, VA, USA collapsed because of the premature removal of shoring from beneath newly poured floors. Killed 15 and injured 35.  The building was more or less sliced in half. A few wrists got gently slapped. About 5 years earlier, the same construction company had two floors cave in at an office building due to insufficient wooden shoring, killing three and injuring 29 others.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyline_Towers_collapse

Interesting you’re aware of this. I’m from that area. I had a Vietnam vet friend who applied for a job at that site and was turned down the day before it fell. Miller and Long was the firm building it. Afterwards known as killer and long.

Blame game escalates in pedestrian bridge collapse that killed six - Tampa Bay Times

"But design documents and descriptions on FIU's website say the pylon was not meant as the principal means of support for the bridge span, which was designed to hold up by itself. Instead, the pylon system was to provide stiffness to the structure, lessen vibration for pedestrians and provide aesthetic bang."  (emphasis mine)

I guess they got an "unaesthetic bang" instead. How much did the "aesthetics" add to the cost of the bridge and where are they going to get the new money for paying for the aftermath of this one and for the next version (rhetorical question)?

Edited by MaxYakov

4 hours ago, KMartinHandyman said:

Interesting you’re aware of this. I’m from that area. I had a Vietnam vet friend who applied for a job at that site and was turned down the day before it fell. Miller and Long was the firm building it. Afterwards known as killer and long.

I was working a summer construction job on a 14 story building not too far from there at the time, maybe Alexandria.  My boss  was tempted to apply for a job after the accident.  Said it would be the safest job site ever after that disaster.  I lived in McLean.  Had a steady girlfriend who lived just off Wilson Blvd.

• Like 1

Reports coming now that the support where the tower was to be built was moved 11ft on design change widening the space between the contact areas of the deck and the supports. Not sure if this would mean the original contact would have been under or closer to the first truss joint on the deck. For me this would have required a complete re-design and building a new deck.

17 hours ago, overherebc said:

Reports coming now that the support where the tower was to be built was moved 11ft on design change widening the space between the contact areas of the deck and the supports. Not sure if this would mean the original contact would have been under or closer to the first truss joint on the deck. For me this would have required a complete re-design and building a new deck.

As a mechanical engineer and tester and certifier on many types of systems over the years in the aerospace and building projects, this sort of thing sickens me.  Proper review, proper analysis, proper PE's involved and nobody needed to die.   Design and then improperly reviewed as built changes late in the game that affect Form, Fit or Function so often cause problems and for various reasons don't go through the proper review and approval process.