DLT launches Safe Drive Save Lives road safety campaign for Songkran

webfact

DLT launches Safe Drive Save Lives road safety campaign for Songkran

dd.jpg

File photo

BANGKOK, 19th March 2018 (NNT) – The Department of Land Transport (DLT) is ensuring the preparedness of facilities, promoting road safety practices during the upcoming Songkran holidays. 

The DLT Director-General, Sanit Promwong, said the department is working to ensure the preparedness of facilities to accommodate travels of the general public during this year Songkran holidays under the department’s Safe Drive Save Lives campaign. 

The campaign will be carried out in three phases, starting with seven days prior to the holidays on April 4th-10th, 2018, seven days during the festival on April 11th-17th, and seven days after the festival on April 18th-24th. It is aimed to minimize casualties and injuries during the long holidays, and to ensure there will be no casualties from accident related to public transport. 

DLT officials will be working to inspect the blood alcohol level from all public transport drivers who are required to have zero blood alcohol level while operating vehicles. Transport companies and staff must inform passengers of safety regulations and safety practices in emergency, as well as advising them of law and regulations related to passengers. 

All public transport vehicles will undertake inspection to make sure they are of good condition to operate, and must be equipped with GPS tracking system which allows the DLT, companies, and the general public to track the location and the behaviour of drivers real-time. 

Speed detection devices will be placed along the main roads in and out of Bangkok, as well as security checkpoints. 

Provincial Land Transport Offices are instructed to prepare more buses serving passengers during the festival, to enforce security checking measures at bus stations to prevent thieves, and employ more staff at passenger protection and complaint center.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-03-19

• Haha 2

Ah! The old well worn 7-7-7 tried and unproven safe driving campaign. The one that worked so well over the Christmas/New Year where 478 people were killed on the road just for the 7 day period  28th December 2017 to 3rd January.

Still, the head nodders have to justify their existence and pay and come up with something they can point to later to showed they "tried".

http://www.richardbarrow.com/2017/12/full-road-accident-statistics-for-new-year-2017-2018-in-thailand/

43 minutes ago, Darcula said:

1. Photo-op & press release

2. Half-hearted implementation of half-baked measures

3. Body count, denial (optional), & self-praise

agreed , yet i do not agree with people that say that thailand is All Show; surely it is only in the high nineties precent

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

DLT officials will be working to inspect the blood alcohol level from all public transport drivers

How will they check the drivers who are using Ya Ba and other illicit substances and those who have been driving for 16 hours?  How will they confirm the driver is not busy on his (her) cell phone? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

promoting road safety practices

oversight measures might cut into the carnage numbers but the root causes remain unmentioned; it is the attitudes of thai drivers, that is to say the attitudes of thais in general; there is no respect of law and order and indeed no understanding of the Value of law and order nor understanding that there is a only a small amount of effort required by individuals to achieve and benefit from that value

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, selftaopath said:

How can a Thai "teacher" act like an elite Thai when so many children are not educated in Thai schools? 

My wife is a teacher. She is the most down to earth, caring person I have ever met. She is so far removed from elite it is laughable - still picks fruit from her farm with her old straw hat on. I think it is very rare that a REAL teacher acts like an elite - only those pretending to be teachers pretend to be elite !

• Like 1

"...inspect the blood alcohol level from all public transport drivers who are required to have zero blood alcohol level while operating vehicles"

Brilliant!

So it's fine for, say, truck drivers to be drunk as a skunk. What could possibly go wrong?

:)

How tiring and boring; Sanit Promwong needs to know that the problem is simply in the law enforcement. Drunk driving, which accounts for 50%, 60%, 75% or more percent of all those accidents, is a No No everywhere - except in Thailand.

When caught in Thailand the Thais bribe the police with THB 500 - THB 5'000; the aliens cough up THB 20'000 - simple as that.

Thais need to learn (eventually the hard way round) that laws are written to be enforced and apply to everybody (yeah, except Premchai's camping in National Parks with self-destructing black panthers or grandsons of business tycoons murdering police sergeants on duty by overrunning them in grey Ferraris). 

Stop the efforts, Sanit Promwong, it is a waste of time. Unless laws are enforced and mandatory driving lessons (I mean lessons, not attendance confirmations to students who dont even know where the driving school is) are implemented - nothing will change. Look at central Europe, arguably the planet's best drivers. Are they smarter than Thais? No, the strict law is enforced and everybody knows how to change a tire, to check battery acid and washer water levels and must physically sit into a driving school. A certain percentage fails the test and if caught without a license then the full brunt of the legal heat breathes down on the culprits neck - I clue ya! 

• Like 1

Twice a year this twadle is printed in all the newspapers, photo ops are organised, the TV and Press media are alerted to upcoming press conferences.  All for nothing every single time.  The road carnage increases, lives and families are destroyed but nothing of substance ever gets done.  Laws already on the books are never enforced, tea money will get you off the hook and on and on it goes.  Thailand is a complete joke as most of the civilized world has come to realize.

• Thanks 1

Time to stock up on chicken essence.

so I said to the missus... “go and buy me some chicken essence”, and she said, “ eff off and make me a vegemite sandwich”

so.... I’ll be stayin home, I think.... 

Every year is the same
Load of crap
<deleted> Idiots on there bikes and in there pick ups
Songkhran its the hospital season if you make it
Tired of reading and seeing all the accidents.
Brain dead ideas
Simply get out there in yr police cars and drive around and actually pull people over and fine them heavily,
Oh I'm getting ahead of myself, ( Thailand)

Sent from my SM-G900I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

15 hours ago, Lupatria said:

While they're at it, why not combining the show with a promotion campaign for the 5 hrs driving license?

They could shorten it to 5  minutes and statistically it might even improve the fatalities by 1-2 as they wouldnt be able to spend the remaining 4  hours 55 minutes at the test centre where they might run over someone in their test group. (assumes they dont own their own car and drive to and from said centre)

15 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

My wife is a teacher. She is the most down to earth, caring person I have ever met. She is so far removed from elite it is laughable - still picks fruit from her farm with her old straw hat on. I think it is very rare that a REAL teacher acts like an elite - only those pretending to be teachers pretend to be elite !

I thought they only mowed down nurses waiting at junctions???