Maybe gout???

hackjam

Have had gout in the past, get it about once a year.

Now I have a hell of a pain where big toe joins foot but its on the underside, not on top where I have had it in the past.

So should I take some gout medication?

18 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Take the medizine, I take Zyloric, and drink plenty of water

to flush the Uric acid out of your system.

regards Worgeordie

Actually this is used to prevent rather than treat - if having gout attack it should be started after event is under control from my understanding.  FYI Zyloric is very overpriced in my opinion of a really inexpensive allopurinol drug and you might want to check price for Alloric or one of the other local brands.

17 minutes ago, torrzent said:

Those medicines are extremely toxic, with big side effects and very hard on the liver/kidneys.  Try some daily apple cider vinegar and add some fresh limes to your water, in addition to adjusting your diet(see online). 

Allopurinol is a very safe drug with low toxicity or side effects and much better than having gout.   Colchicine is only used during an attack and for a short period.  If allopurinol works for you it may never be required.  

Yesterday, took anti-inflammatory 3 times and by evening time, pain was almost gone, hell of an improvement. This morning, still have a slight pain but nothing like previous morning. Should I still take the anti-inflammatory today?

Depends on what drug, what does and whether you have any contarindictaions.

Anti-inflammatories are helpful for all the possible conditions that might be causing this but need to be sure you do nto exceed recommended dosage schedule, take on full stomach and should nto take if you have history of kidney disease, gastritis, bleeding disorder or are on anti-coagulants.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Allopurinol is a very safe drug with low toxicity or side effects and much better than having gout.   Colchicine is only used during an attack and for a short period.  If allopurinol works for you it may never be required.  

Yes but people become chronic lifetime users of allopurinol....it is a slippery slope and the toxicity is best avoided.

Edited by torrzent

On 3/20/2018 at 8:57 AM, lopburi3 said:

It's apparently very much a YMMV situation.  My liver enzyme test results went through the roof when I was on Allopurinol:

Aspartate Transaminase (AST) went from 17 to 56 (normal is 0-40)

Alanine Transaminase (ALT) went from 28 to 132 (normal is 0-40)

I've been on daily Colchicine for almost a year and still have occasional twinges of pain in one toe, but it's nothing like a full blown attack.  (I also take daily Sulfin now.)

My advice to anybody is to have a doctor monitor your kidney and liver functions when taking any of these gout medications.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 3/22/2018 at 6:18 PM, Taggart said:

I've read where cherries can help people suffering from gout.  I'm not over there right now, but very expensive in Thailand from what I've heard.

I've also read that and apparently *black* cherries can be beneficial.  Most cherries are *red* cherries and apparently don't have the beneficial effect.  Even in the USA I couldn't find black cherries.  Let me know if you find them in Thailand.