There is no right or wrong

bwpage3

21 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

but but but- the Thais are the same now as they were when you arrived, so perhaps it is you that has changed.

I would strongly disagree with this comment.  People change - it's natural - and by this I mean the general feeling or consensus of feeling as a nation can change.  People in my homeland of Australia are much more stressed, concerned about money and parochial than ever.  Where once we ranked as amongst the friendliest people in the world and were very welcoming, now the pressures of modern day life have made your average Australian more concerned with themselves and less hospitable, welcoming and generally less caring of others, particularly so in Sydney.  And so it is with Thais....I think many struggle with the pressures of modern day life and a rapidly changing society that can make them less welcoming towards and even less tolerant of foreigners.  It would be easy to therefore say that societies all over the world are less welcoming of outsiders but I don't think that would be true.  When I visited Eastern Europe in the early '90s most people I came across were not that welcoming of outsiders but friends who make it to Poland, Czech and other parts of Eastern Europe tell me how welcoming the locals are these days.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Life is always a failed experiment, doesn't matter where you live.

Just a matter of 'how long' before you notice it's failed.

(and your ability to endure)

PS

Do you really think calling someone 'scarred and angry' isn't an ad hominem attack?

PPS

Happiest person I have ever known drinks himself unconscious every day.

I agree with you. Everybody gets old and dies or dies young. Life always ends up an unsuccessful adventure. Some days are good and some days are not so good. 

• Like 1

Chile has the lowest level of corruption in Latin America, as well as the strongest economy, highest standard of living, and lowest level of poverty. You can drink water from any tap in the country, and it has modern telephone and cell service, high speed Internet, and cable television. The primary and secondary roads are well-maintained from one end of the country to the other.

And Chile is especially well-suited to North Americans and Europeans, partly due to its clean and honest culture, but also because its seasons are reversed from those in the northern hemisphere; so expats with a second home in Chile can enjoy their favorite seasons twice a year.

https://internationalliving.com/countries/chile/

8 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Chile has the lowest level of corruption in Latin America, as well as the strongest economy, highest standard of living, and lowest level of poverty. You can drink water from any tap in the country, and it has modern telephone and cell service, high speed Internet, and cable television. The primary and secondary roads are well-maintained from one end of the country to the other.

And Chile is especially well-suited to North Americans and Europeans, partly due to its clean and honest culture, but also because its seasons are reversed from those in the northern hemisphere; so expats with a second home in Chile can enjoy their favorite seasons twice a year.

https://internationalliving.com/countries/chile/

International Living largely debunked as a credible source.  Most countries have internet and cable nowadays.  Chile has a very recent history of horrendous human rights, including under Pinochet.  What goes around, comes around. Just ask Victor Jara (or his ghost), or the people of Venezuela who saw a similar paradise turn to hell for the same reasons.  Very few expats have chosen to follow this advice which speaks for itself.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

PS

Do you really think calling someone 'scarred and angry' isn't an ad hominem attack?

No but you obviously do

2 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

PPS

Happiest person I have ever known drinks himself unconscious every day.

That is different from most people's definition of happiness.

54 minutes ago, torrzent said:

That is different from most people's definition of happiness.

A beer in one hand and a hooker in the other ........ most men's idea of happiness.

If I only have the beer, I'm still fairly happy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have been a legal resident of the State of Florida for almost 30 years. I will be traveling there next month for a 3 week total trip (with a 5-day side trip to Denver). 2 weeks isn't enough and 4 weeks is too long. And then I am back to Thailand.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 12:31 PM, MaeJoMTB said:

Reads Scott's note on linguistics and deletes post, goes back and reads OP .......

OK so thread is about leaving Thailand.

Like the OP, I'm here now, but if I wasn't, I probably wouldn't come.

Still here because of all the 'family' I've acquired/invented, but looking around the world, Philippines and Latin America would probably be my first choice as places to start off. Easier VISA and better exchange rates.

I came to LOS as the closest place to Saudi to have "fun". Only 6 hours on a plane.

Having discovered LOS I had no reason to try anywhere else as it had everything I wanted for a holiday.

Had I tried the Philippines instead, I might have ended up living there. I certainly liked the Philippinas I worked with.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

You can also continue working past age 65 on a full salary of over 100K per year US and still be on medicare

Never said you couldn't.  Their are different ways to qualify for medicare. If you are under 65 and disabled for 24 months or longer you can qualify. 

Correct you can still work and be on medicare no problems with that.  However, if your on medicare and your income is over 85K your part B premium (2018) will be $187.50 instead of $134.00. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2018 at 3:54 AM, Gecko123 said:

Average price for pork today in Thailand is 120/kilo. At 34 baht/$ that works out to $3.53/kilo or $1.58 per pound. On-line, Safeway is currently advertising pork loin chops for $2.99/lb, (89% more expensive than the current price in Thailand.)

rimping chiang mai - $3.06 a pound for pork loin

source:

http://www.globalprice.info/viewer/en/?p=thailand/chiangmai-shop-prices#/chiangmai1/38

comparing rimping and safeway would be apt as they offer similar shopping experiences.  though of course safeway is way nicer.  what's funny is safeway is nothing special in the states, just a standard middle class supermarket brand, whereas rimping is 'hi-so'.

btw the exchange rate is not 34.  more like 31.   

(it's fun to cherry pick prices but in the spirit of honest discussion i'll tell you pork loin at tesco-lotus is about $1.75 a pound.  probably even less at your local wet market)

personally, i'll take Safeway quality control and overall experience at $2.99 a pound 

given that wages in the US are many multiples higher, it isn't a big deal to pay a few extra dollars for _some_ things.  Not having to unwrap every food item with skepticism = priceless.

stuff like roast beef, cheese, peanut butter, cherries, oatmeal, soy milk, fresh salsa, sweet potatoes (some examples off the top of my head)  are less expensive in the States.  so too wine, of course.  

and other things, like good bread or real organic produce, are non-existent in Thailand.  there's also very little variety on offer in Thai supermarkets unless you're in the cooking oil or laundry detergent aisle.  that's something you forget if you live there for awhile. 

makro vs costco?  get real

here's a story that will tee up the haters:

i had a 'hungry man' tv dinner the other day for 120 baht.  the wife had one as well.   not something we'd done up to this point but fun to introduce her to a little slice of my suburban childhood.

she told me (and I agreed) that it was superior to any western food we'd had in Thailand at an equivalent price point.  in fact IMO if you opened a restaurant in Bangkok serving frozen US tv dinners piping hot from the microwave you'd be slam packed with customers.

but i know, it doesn't matter - the thai-er than thai only eat local cuisine, preferably curbside.  you can recreate that experience here - at home, with higher quality ingredients and no recycled cooking oil, for an extra dollar or so a bowl.  

On 3/22/2018 at 10:23 AM, mstevens said:

People change - it's natural - and by this I mean the general feeling or consensus of feeling as a nation can change.  People in my homeland of Australia are much more stressed, concerned about money and parochial than ever. 

Impossible to generalize like this in a society of individuals.  This may just be the impression from your interaction with your circle of contacts.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎20‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 7:35 PM, connda said:

What about people who transit back and forth spending some time in their home country and some time in Thailand.  Each to their own.  Don't think too much about it Op.  It's nobody' business what a individual choses to do.  Last time I checked, flights in Thailand go both ways.  Maybe it becomes an issue for farangs that have been 'in-country' too long and over time develop "face" that they can lose.  I've met that type.  However,  most long-termers I've met wouldn't care what anyone thinks.  I've been here over a decade.  Leaving the country is always my 'Plan B.'  Would I end up back in the Homeland?  Maybe.  Maybe not. 

that's me, back and forth. Anywhere from 3-6 months a year in Thailand and the rest in NZ. My wife has Kiwi residency and works when we are in NZ and saves every cent for our Thai trips. I support her while we are in NZ and go skiing thanks to my friendly doctor scamming a medical certificate to get membership to the para skiing which gets ne cheap as lift passes. Living the dream.