Phuket’s Soi Dog speaks out on rabies: Genuine outbreak or misinformed panic?

snoop1130

I hate when they randomly run out on the road.
Ive had some really close calls due to dogs fighting on the side of the road and running out in the middle of the road.

More culled only makes the community safer in every way.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Antifreeze said:

Can' take a walk around my streets without a stick to ward off dogs that come charging. Even the stick is not sufficient when alone. 

So, dear Soi Dog Foundation, what's the solution?

stop being hyperbolic in your statements? 

• Like 2

What a load of rollocks these surposingly dog lovers rant on about.

how many would take a few stray dogs into their homes instead of 

feeding them at the side of the road. By the way I love dogs myself 

as I consider them mans best friend, but each dog should have an 

owner to look after them properly and safely.

2 hours ago, Get Real said:

They are a Soi Dog Foundation, for crying out loud! Who can be more onesided in this matter. It´s the puplic opinion that matters, and that seems to be the SETZERO-version. Election is soon coming up too, maybe we can implement a SETZERO there too. :cheesy:

It is surely not the public opinion that matters. The problem is not just the stray dogs but also all the dogs that owners do not take care of. Start with registration of all cats and dogs, give them a chip and most of all educate the owners. Fine the owners if they ignote the responsibility they have towards their pets.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I cant import and responsibly own a staffy because they are on the dog controlled list.

I also cant run down the road for exercise without the risk of being chased and bitten by a pack of stray dogs.

28 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

I think you are correct, I’m not sure  what has happened to Thai Visa recently - it now seems to have been taken over by foreigners / expats ( call them what you like ) who hate this country ( do they live here ? ) .

It is  relentless, the idea that posts are not meant to denigrate the Thai people is a total joke - it’s just getting so boring . This is my home. 

I dont understand the baying for death of the soi dogs - it is not their fault- we put them there through irresponsiblity , it can be sorted if organisations such as Soi Dog are fully supported. 

So what should be done about the estimated 8 million strays?

Do you envisage 8 million familys adopting them?

Edited by beechbum
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

People are looking for a quick fix to the growing population of stray dogs. Hooray! Set Zero! Let's do it. Let's slaughter all the dogs!!

But there is no quick fix.

Even if Set Zero could be completed successfully and all or most of the estimated 8 million unowned dogs in Thailand were wiped out, guess what? Without the dogs to control their population, you'd then have a plague of cats. 

And if you wiped all of the cats out? Guess what's next? Yup. Rats. Billions of them breeding like crazy and each carrying hundreds of fleas that spread some REALLY nasty diseases.

You're worried about rabies? Think plague. Think Black Death. Hundreds of millions died last time around.

Set Zero would succeed only in knocking the ecological balance off its perch. We'd all regret it.

If you want to shout about this, the ultimate solution is to remove the food supply for feral animals.

Human garbage. March on your local tessabaan/orbortor and demand Set Zero for Garbage.

I'll shut up now so that all you feral TV types can rip me to shreds.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, peterb17 said:

I think you are correct, I’m not sure  what has happened to Thai Visa recently - it now seems to have been taken over by foreigners / expats ( call them what you like ) who hate this country ( do they live here ? ) .

It is  relentless, the idea that posts are not meant to denigrate the Thai people is a total joke - it’s just getting so boring . This is my home. 

I dont understand the baying for death of the soi dogs - it is not their fault- we put them there through irresponsiblity , it can be sorted if organisations such as Soi Dog are fully supported. 

I talk about being prejudiced.. every foreigner or thai has the right to like or dislike certain things. And just because you dislike something does not mean you are a thai hater or basher or that you are not happy living in Thailand.  Perhaps you should look in the mirror sometime.. evaluate your life and then decide if you also have certain things you like or dislike and would like to see improvement on.  

Soi dogs are a problem that needs fixing. Many people get bitten for no reason.. some have even died.. I can't say destroying all soi dogs is the answer. But being that most are wild and travel in packs.. it seems like Thailand is doing what they always do.. which is taking drastic measures quickly to end the publicity.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I cant import and responsibly own a staffy because they are on the dog controlled list.

I also cant run down the road for exercise without the risk of being chased and bitten by a pack of stray dogs.

Thailand has import laws against breeds that they have deemed unsafe or used for fighting. Why not adopt a local dog? I did over 11 years ago and she travels with us to California and back every year. Very protective and sweet to us. But not so sweet to those who she doesn’t know!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I like Staffys and have owned one before,great dog with the family, neither unsafe nor used for fighting. I took time training him. The locals looked in awe when he did what I told him to do.

The dogs outside my moo bahn are either allowed to roam in packs by their owners, or just stray. When I try to go for a run they try to attack and bite me, these are the dogs that should be deemed dangerous and dealt with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sungod said:

How on earth do you get out of your house for food and the like :shock1: :laugh:.

Edited by dick dasterdly