Hundreds show up to receive free cash handouts which never came

webfact

2 hours ago, webfact said:

".....rumoured that a resident of the district who reported to have won 60-million baht from ten first-prize lottery tickets for March 16 draw"

A problem may have arisen whereby this resident has not yet received the prize money because an ex-cop is challenging the win claiming he accidentally dropped the winning tickets on the pavement and this person found them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Cadbury said:

A problem may have arisen whereby this resident has not yet received the prize money because an ex-cop is challenging the win claiming he accidentally dropped the winning tickets on the pavement and this person found them. 

Maybe the resident has gone missing. Not wise to tell desperate and poor you have 60m baht.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

While I share many of the slightly negative comments above, give a thought to some of the other factors which led to this.

1,000 Baht is a lot of money, especially if you are earning 300 Baht a day.

Thai Buddhism places a great deal of emphasis on money and temples.

When you have and encourage a culture whereby the rich and powerful dispense "gifts", you can't really blame the poor and powerless for taking them.

Spare a kindness for these people, even if they don't completely deserve it. They are what they were made...

I wonder how many of the people that showed up at the temple would have made a donation after receiving their windfall? 

38 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

Makes me wonder how many of them would show up at a job fair offering positions with a decent salary.

??????????

Brilliant! 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

There are many reasons people are poor, economics, opportunities etc. and nothing to do with your lazy-ass thinking conservative 'they are all lazy' shtick.  

Don't tell me, you have some anecdote to tell us about the lazy Thais, do us all a favour and don't bother

I have no intentions of providing an anecdote. Any body who opens their eyes can see tons of the lazy bu**ers sitting around day in, day out. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

There are many reasons people are poor, economics, opportunities etc. and nothing to do with your lazy-ass thinking conservative 'they are all lazy' shtick.  

Don't tell me, you have some anecdote to tell us about the lazy Thais, do us all a favour and don't bother

I think your wrong, or at least partly. There are indeed those that are working hard and are still poor but there are plenty that are lazy too. You should just open your eyes. In this country and many others both reasons are valid laziness and economic reasons. 

• Thanks 2