At what stage is the teacher's license waiver applied for?

I've had 3 teacher's license waivers. 1 from a school on an older passport over 5 years ago. 2 on my current passport. 

I am a little worried that I won't be granted a waiver this time around. I am reluctant to move to a new city (which is far from my current location) where I have been offered a new job. I mean, if I am granted a Non B outside of Thailand, is there a chance I come back and the school applies for the waiver and it is rejected? 

Thanks for the reply.

So, it is applied for after the Non-B. It's not a requirement to get the Non-B?

The temporary teaching permit a.k.a. provisional teaching permit a.k.a. waiver is required when applying for an extension of stay and work permi when working in an OBEC school.

4 hours ago, Afterburner said:

Thanks for the reply.

So, it is applied for after the Non-B. It's not a requirement to get the Non-B?

You'll receive 90 days which is enough time to produce the provisional license/waiver.

Khurusapha doesn't really like people who constantly change schools, chances would be much better if you'd apply from a school you'd been working for a few years.

I was at the t.c.t. yesterday. My coworker received his 2nd waiver. He was told to start working  towards his teaching license because this will be his final teaching waiver.

This is what I've been told and heard first hand while going to TCT with friends who work on OBEC jurisdiction schools.

All three were told - quite pointedly - that the only way they'd get a 3rd waiver would be if they could show TCT documentation that "progress" being made towards the education degree component of the licensing requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

What if you have a valid American teaching certification, do you get the license?

My experience was that no, having a current/valid US teaching license (which is a state level licensing matter and not a federal level matter) did not fulfill the stated TCT requirements, therefore would not meet TCT in full.

Depending on the state you hold a license from, it *may be* that some of things you had to do/show for your state license can be applied towards fulfilling the Thai requirements -- the education requirement comes to mind.

I'm at the university level where OBEC is basically a non-event, but do know many who teach at the Demonstration School and other schools who are under OBEC and none that I know have been able to use their current US state teaching license to fulfill TCT licensing.

I've had four waivers, four years. The last presumably was based on the Filipino 'school' I attended to complete a 'post graduate certificate' . I chalk it up to having worked at good schools with solid, tight paperwork. Your mileage may vary.

Maybe if they look at your mediocre resume and your schools and think...ftw, no career progression. Why? That's when questions begin.

They don't care about your family or pokey little castle in issan. You need to commit to being a teacher. Most Thai teachers are single bc they gave their lives to the profession. You're just bumping around for an extra 1k.

Also, if you work in the provs stop complaining and/or reporting your little oasis as de facto/jure standard for all. Especially us modern people in Bangkok.

I've only even been to TCT once. Maybe if you don't go and have a Thai process it for you the tct won't have an opportunity to talk smack to you. The girl at the window just checks the paperwork, she's nobody. Can't see the drama.

The idea you can't jump schools is bullshit for non risk takers. So you stay in a bad job, low pay for fear of not working in Thailand for 32-42k with Vietnam and China next door. Bah.

If you're moving to a brand school, they won't say dick. Four schools, not a word. Oh yes...#4 is the last. They did say that...#4.

On 3/23/2018 at 10:03 PM, ozmeldo said:

Yes, if you are fully credentialed. Otherwise, if you are lucky...

In the past, anytime we have had some with a Teacher's License from the US, they have gotten a Teacher's License in Thailand.  

7 hours ago, Scott said:

In the past, anytime we have had some with a Teacher's License from the US, they have gotten a Teacher's License in Thailand.  

Indeed, in general I think this correct. I'm just curious if ALL licences are acceptable? There are a number of designations in which teachers are licensed yet it might not be acceptable to TCT. Special needs, library sciences, substitute credentials.

13 minutes ago, ozmeldo said:

Indeed, in general I think this correct. I'm just curious if ALL licences are acceptable? There are a number of designations in which teachers are licensed yet it might not be acceptable to TCT. Special needs, library sciences, substitute credentials.

In the past we had people who were given licenses to teach in the US for special purposes -- which meant they weren't actually people with a degree in education, but for one reason or another, they were temporarily allowed to teach.   These temporary licenses were some years ago accepted by the TCT.  

In the past we had people who were given licenses to teach in the US for special purposes -- which meant they weren't actually people with a degree in education, but for one reason or another, they were temporarily allowed to teach.   These temporary licenses were some years ago accepted by the TCT.  

For clarity purposes, was it your experience that those with valid US teaching licenses were given a 2-year, school-specific temporary license (aka waiver) ... or... were they given full unrestricted 5-year licenses?

2 minutes ago, Scott said:

In US all high school teachers do their subject and then their credential. A degree in Education is for elementary teaching.

I make this distinction between these very valid credentials and the others that don't require the two years and much coursework. I hope that anyone with such credentials are given a pass as coupled with their BA/BS plus time in Thailand, enough.

36 minutes ago, new2here said:

For clarity purposes, was it your experience that those with valid US teaching licenses were given a 2-year, school-specific temporary license (aka waiver) ... or... were they given full unrestricted 5-year licenses?

No, they were given a full, unrestricted license.   But I haven't run into that situation recently.   All the people who were licensed in the US had a degree/qualification in education and a teacher's license.   They, of course, got an unrestricted, full license.  

Yeah, I don't know where the question is coming from. I couldn't imagine if credentialed teachers in the West had to go thru some additional kind of nonsense to get a license here.

They'd all be in China.

States on the application it is acceptable. Degree in Education and or teaching credential.

On 3/21/2018 at 6:47 PM, mike123ca said:

I was at the t.c.t. yesterday. My coworker received his 2nd waiver. He was told to start working  towards his teaching license because this will be his final teaching waiver.

Everything I've been told is that none of the courses or tests that you need for the teaching license are  available.

Would you have newer info I'm not aware of? Would be appreciated.

On 3/25/2018 at 3:14 PM, duanebigsby said:

Everything I've been told is that none of the courses or tests that you need for the teaching license are  available.

I did my teaching diploma with Ifugao (St. Roberts) and the teacher's ethic course at Krusapat (T.C.T.) Then I handed over the paperwork for the license last week. The courses are still be offered by St. Roberts. I don't know if the teachers ethic course is still required.

I know of at least 4 local options that are accepted by the TCT:

St. Roberts/Ifugao/PCU

St. Theresa

Framingham

Nottingham

All of them have a mix of face to face classes and online work.  All of them are located in or near Bangkok, though St. Roberts offered classes elsewhere in the past and may do so again.  I know several people who have received permanent Teaching Licenses with Grad. Diplomas from St. Roberts or PGCEis from Nottingham.

The professional exams were halted about five years ago. There has been no public discussion I'm aware of to resume.

On 3/26/2018 at 8:16 PM, mike123ca said:

I did my teaching diploma with Ifugao (St. Roberts) and the teacher's ethic course at Krusapat (T.C.T.) Then I handed over the paperwork for the license last week. The courses are still be offered by St. Roberts. I don't know if the teachers ethic course is still required.

Please let us know how it works out.

There previously were 9 tests for teachers (4 for Foreign teachers).

The tests were discontinued however if you completed at least one of the tests you could attend a 60h seminar to receive credit for each of the 9 tests you didn’t pass (the 4 tests counted for 2 or 3 tests each). These seminars are now on their last legs. I assume they were offered in English somewhere but I took a break from teaching and missed that info.

The other option is to do a qualification in education/teaching. So a 1 year post graduate certificate, 2 year masters or a second bachelor degree in education.

I believe that a post graduate diploma undertaken while in Thailand will also have a requirement that you have a provisional teacher’s license (waiver) and are currently registered as teaching at a school. However if done via a foreign university this might not necessarily be a requirement.

Before you receive your full license there is also a requirement of at least 1 year’s teaching in Thailand and that you successfully complete the Thai ethics and culture course (a 1 weekend seminar).

Otherwise you can just continue to teach with provisional teaching licenses. Previously it was generally said that for the 3rd waiver you needed to show progress towards your full teaching license. Not sure if this is still the case given that the tests are no longer available (and so there are essentially only 2x steps, culture course & post graduate diploma).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 3/26/2018 at 8:16 PM, mike123ca said:

I visited Khuruspha in February, but the lady was okay with my Thai culture/ethics course from 2008. 

Archived