Becoming a nomad

sanemax

Just back from a six day trip to Savvankhet for the privilege of getting a Thai Visa for a whopping 60 days and after that , I can get another 30 days for 2000 Baht .

Then its back to some other Embassy for the same again .

This Thai visa situation has now got a bit much , never knowing what they will ask for and whether you will get a refusal .

Every visa run, I must make provisions for if I couldnt come back for a while .

I am now considering becoming nomadic , staying in each Country until my visa expires and then moving onto the next Country .

I have no job or Family to consider and a change of Country/scenery would be nice .

Anyone tried it ?

10 hours ago, The manic said:

Yes in a way. It sounds a good idea. Money can be an issue. Good luck. Make sure you have decent insurance. 

Not too bothered about any insurance , if I ever get into a life threatening situation, I will just tell them to switch all the machines off

I've did alright so far and no one lives forever 

We all die in the end, whether its today , tomorrow or in 20 years time

We all end up dead

Leaving Thailand to get a new visa and return might be a hassle, but will it be any different moving from country to country?  In most countries in the region you're going to need a visa and even in those you're not in you will have to leave within 90 days.  Yes, the whole visa run merry-go-round is a hassle, but you might find you're better off staying in Thailand just visiting neighbouring countries when you have to.  I imagine it could be cheaper to get a condo long-term in Thailand than it would using hotels or being on short-stay contracts in other countries.

I'm hoping to be able to do that in the near future. Idea would be staying 3 months in each country, before moving on.

I have been wondering what is the costs of living in close by countries compared to Thailand? Simple & safe room with aircon for monthly rent. 

- Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Indonesia and perhaps Penang in Malaysia.

3 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

For someone who finds it to much of a hassle to go across to another country every 90 days or so, it does not sound like you are cut out for a nomad lifestyle.

The problem with Thailand is incostency of the immigration rules. We never know if we are allowed to come back to Thailand after few tourist visas. 

Sure, why not? I did that when I was younger. Could make a circuit of say 4-5 countries if start yearning for a bit of stability.... Does get you down to essentials, almost a "Walden" attitude. How old are you? What once was adventure becomes annoyance after been around the block enough times. Good luck

I did this in my youth but it has its own problems.

One of the main ones is accommodation. You can find yourself obliged to use hotels a lot which can get expensive and after a while tedious. Reason for this is that in many countries , in order to rent an apartment you need to commit for three months or more and put down a big deposit. By the time you realise you want to stay somewhere for 6 months or more you might already have been there a month.

Then again , you can find yourself having to keep buying things like kettles and coat hangers etc.

This is all fine for a while and you do get to see a lot of different places but in the end you either want to go home or settle down somewhere.

Finally , if you fall in with a local woman somewhere you are screwed ,and so is your nomadic life.

i'm literally deadly tired of visa hassle, if i had known this shit,

i would have moved straight to a caribbean island belonging to an EU country

like NL or France, and as such, i would never had have to do a single solitary visa run, since i'm a EU citizen.

2 minutes ago, poanoi said:

i'm literally deadly tired of visa hassle, if i had known this shit,

i would have moved straight to a caribbean island belonging to an EU country

like NL or France, and as such, i would never had have to do a single solitary visa run, since i'm a EU citizen.

Whats stopping you going now?

1 minute ago, smutcakes said:

There are no longer term visas you could get? retirement?

yes, i'm 50 in another couple of weeks, and i do meet requirement,

but after 3 stinking years on a foam mattress in cambodia,

i got so much pain i cant take care of myself any longer.

i moved to cambodia thinking it would be less painful than the yearly

visa trip in thailand, but i got that part wrong.

now i just wish i had never come to asia

1 minute ago, poanoi said:

yes, i'm 50 in another couple of weeks, and i do meet requirement,

but after 3 stinking years on a foam mattress in cambodia,

i got so much pain i cant take care of myself any longer.

i moved to cambodia thinking it would be less painful than the yearly

visa trip in thailand, but i got that part wrong.

now i just wish i had never come to asia

Sorry to hear of your troubles, out of interest, why did you not just head home when you saw it all going a little wrong?

2 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Sorry to hear of your troubles, out of interest, why did you not just head home when you saw it all going a little wrong?

home is colder then hell itself,

it is also long distances to walk so its not an option,

i wish i had moved to caribbean while i still could

20 minutes ago, poanoi said:

home is colder then hell itself,

it is also long distances to walk so its not an option,

i wish i had moved to caribbean while i still could

Good luck, whatever you decide, does not sound like a good situation. Maybe take the trip home and try and sort out your medical issue and start afresh.

1 hour ago, oilinki said:

I'm hoping to be able to do that in the near future. Idea would be staying 3 months in each country, before moving on.

I have been wondering what is the costs of living in close by countries compared to Thailand? Simple & safe room with aircon for monthly rent. 

- Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Indonesia and perhaps Penang in Malaysia.

quality in cambodia dont exist, no quality mattresses and nothing to chose from,

no tasty food at all and cambodians are cheaper on the meat than thais,

i cant eat for less than 20 dollars or i go into such protein deficit so

i cant walk in a straight line, i hate this god forsaken shithole with a burning passion.

beer is cheaper, but since they havnt got any gogo bars and the place is depressing, theres no reason to drink

15 minutes ago, poanoi said:

quality in cambodia dont exist, no quality mattresses and nothing to chose from,

no tasty food at all and cambodians are cheaper on the meat than thais,

i cant eat for less than 20 dollars or i go into such protein deficit so

i cant walk in a straight line, i hate this god forsaken shithole with a burning passion.

beer is cheaper, but since they havnt got any gogo bars and the place is depressing, theres no reason to drink

Jesus, get a hobby miserable tosser.

1 hour ago, Denim said:

I did this in my youth but it has its own problems.

One of the main ones is accommodation. You can find yourself obliged to use hotels a lot which can get expensive and after a while tedious. Reason for this is that in many countries , in order to rent an apartment you need to commit for three months or more and put down a big deposit. By the time you realise you want to stay somewhere for 6 months or more you might already have been there a month.

Then again , you can find yourself having to keep buying things like kettles and coat hangers etc.

This is all fine for a while and you do get to see a lot of different places but in the end you either want to go home or settle down somewhere.

Finally , if you fall in with a local woman somewhere you are screwed ,and so is your nomadic life.

In some areas of Vietnam the local by-laws require that foreign renters pay 12 months rent up front.

52 minutes ago, poanoi said:

but after 3 stinking years on a foam mattress in cambodia

You do realize more supportive mattresses are available in Asia.

1 hour ago, poanoi said:

the visa hassle crippled my back too much,

So having to get visas forced you to sleep on a foam mattress.

1 hour ago, poanoi said:

i would never had have to do a single solitary visa run, since i'm a EU citizen.

I'm pretty sure you'd still find something to moan about.

1 minute ago, Suradit69 said:

You do realize more supportive mattresses are available in Asia.

So having to get visas forced you to sleep on a foam mattress.

I'm pretty sure you'd still find something to moan about.

yes, i bought the most expensive they got, and it was still no quality,

tho possibly the first mattress messed me up beyond recovery so there was no point trying

8 hours ago, sanemax said:

Not too bothered about any insurance , if I ever get into a life threatening situation, I will just tell them to switch all the machines off

We all end up dead

And if you get hit by a vehicle or trip and break your leg you go the "gofundme" path? Life can be pricey before you die.

2 hours ago, oilinki said:

The problem with Thailand is incostency of the immigration rules. We never know if we are allowed to come back to Thailand after few tourist visas. 

Some years ago I made visa runs always with a service company (Jack Golf at that time). They knew all about the changing regulations in embassies and changing practices on each border. It happened i.e. that they changed the trip on each day to different border crossings according to some changes (maybe who was in charge on that day).

All together is always works out fine with them. And the cost was basically the same as if I would have taken the standard bus and do it myself.

9 hours ago, sanemax said:

We all end up dead

The problem isn't a life threatening one, it's one like an open fracture that won't kill you, but will stop you doing anything and cause a lot of pain. Unless you intend committing sideways just because you can't leave the bed, you need to think about non life threatening medical situations.

12 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

You obviously know how to use the internet. Google protein sources.
Maybe
Meat not top of the list.

cant order stuff to the shithole, the shithole dont have proper addresses

like for example zip codes, or street address, or any other propriety you would

associate with civilization.

and yes, protein is the top of nutrition food chain

5 hours ago, smutcakes said:

For someone who finds it to much of a hassle to go across to another country every 90 days or so, it does not sound like you are cut out for a nomad lifestyle.

It would be a lot less hassle , just changing to another Country once every three months, rather than having to go all the way back again

Archived