Becoming a nomad

sanemax

3 hours ago, HLover said:

Jesus, get a hobby miserable tosser.

Thats not very nice, and i always regarded you as such a humble Loving Soul! who never Bites or reacts to replies to his Posts.   :cheesy:

12 hours ago, poanoi said:

cant order stuff to the shithole, the shithole dont have proper addresses

like for example zip codes, or street address, or any other propriety you would

associate with civilization.

and yes, protein is the top of nutrition food chain

Sorry but you chose to live in that shit hole (Cambodia) and have stayed there for 3 years even though doing so caused you health issues. I would never stay anywhere where I could not get the creature comforts I am used to just because it;s warm there. You say you qualify for a retirement visa in Thailand in a few weeks so leave Cambodia come back and rent a cheap condo (maybe in BKK) where you can eat at restaurants cheaply and even cheaper in the many food courts all over. Chicken fried rice , pad Thai ect can get in food courts or street vendors for a little more than a US Dollar. Strat  taking Turmeric and other supplements that can help your back and buy a good mattress. Can see a clinic about other things that may help your back issues.

16 hours ago, poanoi said:

yes, i'm 50 in another couple of weeks, and i do meet requirement,

but after 3 stinking years on a foam mattress in cambodia,

i got so much pain i cant take care of myself any longer.

i moved to cambodia thinking it would be less painful than the yearly

visa trip in thailand, but i got that part wrong.

now i just wish i had never come to asia

Cambodia can rob you of the will to live. I've been in PP for 4 years and hate the food, the overpriced poorly stocked 'supermarkets', the crappy expensive rental accomodation, the Cambodians (well the men, really) and the other expats. Its a godforesaken hole of a place.

On 3/23/2018 at 12:03 PM, poanoi said:

cant order stuff to the shithole, the shithole dont have proper addresses

like for example zip codes, or street address, or any other propriety you would

associate with civilization.

and yes, protein is the top of nutrition food chain

What a load of Bunk.

I have a friend from back home, he bought a resort in Snooky with his wife, can get everything needed.

They don't have addresses ??? 555

Methinks you Troll too much.

And protein sources - one of the best is eggs. So go tell me you can not get eggs in Cambodia. Or Soybeans, or ...

19 hours ago, 4737 Carlin said:

Cambodia can rob you of the will to live. I've been in PP for 4 years and hate the food, the overpriced poorly stocked 'supermarkets', the crappy expensive rental accomodation, the Cambodians (well the men, really) and the other expats. Its a godforesaken hole of a place.

So you lived in a place you can not stand for 4 years ...

This statement alone speaks volumes.

Size 12 boots and a size 2 hat comes to mind.

21 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Sorry but you chose to live in that shit hole (Cambodia) and have stayed there for 3 years even though doing so caused you health issues. I would never stay anywhere where I could not get the creature comforts I am used to just because it;s warm there. You say you qualify for a retirement visa in Thailand in a few weeks so leave Cambodia come back and rent a cheap condo (maybe in BKK) where you can eat at restaurants cheaply and even cheaper in the many food courts all over. Chicken fried rice , pad Thai ect can get in food courts or street vendors for a little more than a US Dollar. Strat  taking Turmeric and other supplements that can help your back and buy a good mattress. Can see a clinic about other things that may help your back issues.

no, i didnt stay there by free will, my condition was so deteriorated after a night on a foam mattress so doing another visa run to laos was not an option.

i dont think anything can rectify the endless pain stemming from

chronical inflammation.

54 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

What a load of Bunk.

I have a friend from back home, he bought a resort in Snooky with his wife, can get everything needed.

And protein sources - one of the best is eggs. So go tell me you can not get eggs in Cambodia. Or Soybeans, or ...

i ordered from alibaba, they came back and wanted to refund since they couldnt ship to the shithole, i told them hold on i'm moving back to civilization in just a few weeks, send it to civilization.

they got eggs, but the shithole aint got no caviar

to go with the eggs

18 hours ago, canthai55 said:

So you lived in a place you can not stand for 4 years ...

This statement alone speaks volumes.

Size 12 boots and a size 2 hat comes to mind.

I have a job and family in Cambodia. I can't just move around SE Asia on a whim unfortunately. The OP asked for advice on the merits of each country - I gave my opinion on Cambodia having also lived in Thailand and Vietnam beforehand.

18 hours ago, canthai55 said:

What a load of Bunk.

They have addresses but no postal codes. Not that it matters because there are no postmen in Cambodia. Nearly everything is imported so is more expensive than in Thailand. If someone can afford to buy a resort in Sihanoukville then they probably don't need to worry about paying double for everything.

On 3/23/2018 at 2:33 AM, sanemax said:

Not too bothered about any insurance , if I ever get into a life threatening situation, I will just tell them to switch all the machines off

I've did alright so far and no one lives forever 

We all die in the end, whether its today , tomorrow or in 20 years time

We all end up dead

Not all illnesses or accidents are life threatening.  If you have brain haemorage you will not be fit enough to tell anyone anything.  Good medical insurance is essential. May I ask how old you are? why not just retire here? 

It's interesting that most of the people I have talked to, have said that Cambodia is not very nice while Vietnam is.

That was my own opinion when travelled there some 10 years ago. 

I find the people there warm and friendly.

Keep in mind that the country lost a whole generation not so long ago.

Comparing it to Thailand - or anywhere - is an exercise in futility. It is what it is. Infrastructure lacking - but progress is being made. New airport, new roads, but this all takes time. Bangkok Hospital group even has a hospital in PNH.

I enjoy my time there, go every year.

1 hour ago, Rc2702 said:

OP why are you moaning. It did not take you 6 days to obtain your visa and if it did then you were extremely ill prepared. I could understand this to some degree if you had not spent 6 days doing it.

Well , I am not moaning , just stating facts .

Traveled Thursday 

Applied for Visa on Friday

Saturday and Sunday waiting 

Collected passport on Monday

First bus back on Tuesady

Arrived home on Wednesday

Just over six days

On 24/03/2018 at 1:35 AM, 4737 Carlin said:

We stayed 4 yrs in Siem Reap 18 yrs ago. Loved it despite very basic food supply. There was no supermarket then. But there were the likes of Raffles Hotel to escape to for a meal. I still miss their lovely pool and spa. 

On 3/24/2018 at 10:02 PM, poanoi said:

no, i didnt stay there by free will, my condition was so deteriorated after a night on a foam mattress so doing another visa run to laos was not an option.

chronical inflammation.

Try smack. It kills the pain but for actually reducing inflammation there are many, ways.. Google Dr Mercola and DR Fong on principles of dieting, exercise and weight loss. 

8 hours ago, The manic said:

Try smack. It kills the pain but for actually reducing inflammation there are many, ways.. Google Dr Mercola and DR Fong on principles of dieting, exercise and weight loss. 

Are you a qualified, practicing Doctor ?

On 3/25/2018 at 5:33 PM, sanemax said:

Well , I am not moaning , just stating facts .

Traveled Thursday 

Applied for Visa on Friday

Saturday and Sunday waiting 

Collected passport on Monday

First bus back on Tuesady

Arrived home on Wednesday

Just over six days

Your choice , if you hadn't waited till Friday to apply it wouldn't have taken 6 days to get it.

55 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Are you a qualified, practicing Doctor ?

No but Dr Fong and Dr Mercola are!  What's your point?  One does not have to be a doctor to have ideas, knowledge and experience of illness and recvovery. 

23 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Your choice , if you hadn't waited till Friday to apply it wouldn't have taken 6 days to get it.

Yes, it was my choice .

I could have done it in four days , but two 20 hour bus journey in three nights, is a bit much .

And I also got an extra fours days on my Thai Visa , I maybe would have stayed in Savanah a bit longer , but I was right out of clothes and I can stay for "free" in my Condo in Thailand .

Thats when I thought , give up my condo lease in Thailand , bring all my clothes to Laos and stay for the duration of my Laos visa on the next visa run

16 minutes ago, The manic said:

No but Dr Fong and Dr Mercola are!  What's your point?  One does not have to be a doctor to have ideas, knowledge and experience of illness and recvovery. 

I just wondered whether  suggesting smack was a profession prescription

I am doing at the moment what youare considering OP.. In fact for the past 4 yeras (i got rid of all possessions 4 years ago) i have been travellng with a back pack. I think it becomes important to stay in 1 place for a couple of months to get to know and settle. I am in Thailand for 2 months at the moment as getting an 30 extension in Hua Hin now is a completely non bureaucratic  and quick experience.. Also in the Philippines getting extension month after month  is very very easy. II am fortunate also to be an EU citizen so i can spend the months of May / June / September / October in southern Europe where some countries are cheaper living  than Thailand now..

On 3/24/2018 at 10:02 PM, poanoi said:

chronical inflammation.

Jeez.you could be the first bloke to get PTSD from a mattress.

Archived