Somchai must take care in his comments, says deputy PM

snoop1130

By The Nation

ca512d2ec91953833b4bc29ca8ca528c.jpeg

Somchai.

Former election commissioner Somchai Srisuthiyakorn has the right to comment publicly on politics as long as he does not break any law, a key government figure said on Thursday.

Deputy Premier and Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan was responding at the Defence Ministry to questions from reporters over speculation that Somchai would become a new critics of the ruling National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) after he was removed from office at the order of junta chief, PM General Prayut Chan-o-cha.

“Let him [Somchai] make his moves. But he must not do anything that goes against the law,” Prawit said.

On Tuesday, Prime Minister Prayut issued an order in his capacity as the NCPO head, terminating Somchai’s term in office as a member of the Election Commission (EC).

Somchai on the following day signalled that he was now free to comment more broadly on politics – something he could not do while serving as an election commissioner.

Somchai told reporters while leaving his workplace on Wednesday: “Now that I’m not in the EC, I will be able to give more diversified and broader comments than before, when I could only talk about elections and political party activities.”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30341516

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-3-22

24 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

has the right to comment publicly on politics as long as he does not break any law,

Thailand 2017, when comments on politics can so easily be construed as illegal. The wish to stop violence, demonstrations and closures of public facilities has brought us to a law banning discussion.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

“Let him [Somchai] make his moves. But he must not do anything that goes against the law,” Prawit said.

hear all of us, little piggy; we are not duped that the Law you refer to was rigged by a coup government, condemned internationally and domestically;

pretty far from any moral high ground;

really, this guy has a lot of empty space between his ears

• Like 1

This little piggy had roast beef while this little piggy had none, this little piggy went to market while this little stayed at home and this little piggy went we we we we we, all the way home! [emoji200]

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Priceless! If only, for once, they could see themselves through foreigners eyes and intellect. :sick:

Their only response would be "If you don't like it here you are welcome to leave."

In it's way it is an extraordinarily insular and parochial state and becoming more so by the day.

All of this is for domestic consumption only as "farangs" do not really exist in their world.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sir Dude said:

Blimey...when I saw the name "Somchai" in the thread title, I though it was a vague reference to the average Thai guy and though "yeah, long over due/progress"....how wrong I was....haha, facepalm.

Ha ha ha - I nearly S#!t myself, I thought he may have read some of my comments :cheesy:

• Haha 2

If Prayut had any intelligence he'd privately tell his sidekick to keep a low profile while the investigation is ongoing.

I really can't take anything Prawit says seriously and I have no doubt many of the Thai population feel the same.

Surely there are better, more credible spokespersons. 

Edited by madmitch
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Tell it like it is Mr. Watchtower: "He must be careful telling the truth". I'm not sure he will adopt this advice from someone who came up with nothing but BS after being asked to tell the truth.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

And, in a discreet off-camera aside to his Mighty Saviour, "If he took as much care of his comments as I took of my watches, he wouldn't be in this mess!"

. . . to which MS smilingly whispers, "Now then, Porky . . . if it wasn't for me you'd have been roast pork, months ago!"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh this brings to mind a Star Trek (original series) where the 'Trelane, Squire of Gothos' says to Capt. (something like) '...and anything you do say has already been taken down and will be used in evidence against you...'

Edited by TKDfella