Urgent coach safety warning

webfact

Just wounder if this is even front page news in Thailand???

Hear in the the UK we had a accident that killed 8 people back in August last year, it was big news in the UK for days afterwards and will probably be later today as I speak two lorry drivers are in court waiting to hear sentences...

• Like 1

Known worldwide are the London double-deckers.  Before drivers are allowed to drive on the open road the person must undergo a rigid training session to ensure safety because the bus will carry the public in a variety of situations and road conditions.  Every new bus is tested when delivered and that includes tilting the vehicle to an angle of 45 degrees to ensure it meets the London Transportation standards.  The bus and driver go through skid patch experiences to make sure the driver is qualified to handle any road conditions.  How many have heard of brake failure, illegal substance abuse by the driver, buses crashing/overturning etc., or the bus driver running away from any collision from a London Transport double decker accident of any kind?  Properly maintained vehicles and correct adherence to the law,  especially regarding training of the drivers does make a difference, but it would seem as if the insurance companies, the bus company owners, and the law enforcement "officials", including court officials, do not care for safety, or legality of their actions, only revenues.  How many times has there been a reported followup in the media about any of these accidents?  Very few.  Just saying.

Edited by wotsdermatter

18 hours ago, nausea said:

My guess is he was on Yaba to keep him awake, either because of his work schedule or too much  carousing, so driver error is highly probable. 

Most likely just an excuse but more stringent and frequent MOT testing would put some burden on the operators involved in these accidents to prove they were operating a safe vehicle; if that can't be established then they should be prosecuted accordingly.

No, it is the owner or, if it is a company, management who insist that the driver takes pills to keep him awake so that he can drive longer hours. If the driver refuses he will likely lose his job.

I wonder how enforcing these new rules works if the bus company owners are hiso''s like the black panther man.  Do they just wai politely and shrug their collective beaucratic shoulders if their laws are not complied with?  I think we already know the answer to that one!

I wonder how enforcing these new rules works if the bus company owners are hiso''s like the black panther man.  Do they just wai politely and shrug their collective beaucratic shoulders if their laws are not complied with?  I think we already know the answer to that one!

7 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

Known worldwide are the London double-deckers. Every new bus is tested when delivered and that includes tilting the vehicle to an angle of 45 degrees to ensure it meets the London Transportation standards. 

hooley dooley !!  45 degrees tilt test ?

I'd hate to be on the bottom deck at that angle, let alone upstairs.

9 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

Known worldwide are the London double-deckers. Every new bus is tested when delivered and that includes tilting the vehicle to an angle of 45 degrees to ensure it meets the London Transportation standards.

I'd be interested to know where does the 45 degree requirement come from?

I know it was 28 degrees for years, has this been increased dramatically in recent years?

This is the video I posted a few days ago in another thread, OK it is from 1957, but it was the only video I could find:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

Known worldwide are the London double-deckers.  Before drivers are allowed to drive on the open road the person must undergo a rigid training session to ensure safety because the bus will carry the public in a variety of situations and road conditions.  Every new bus is tested when delivered and that includes tilting the vehicle to an angle of 45 degrees to ensure it meets the London Transportation standards.  The bus and driver go through skid patch experiences to make sure the driver is qualified to handle any road conditions.  How many have heard of brake failure, illegal substance abuse by the driver, buses crashing/overturning etc., or the bus driver running away from any collision from a London Transport double decker accident of any kind?  Properly maintained vehicles and correct adherence to the law,  especially regarding training of the drivers does make a difference, but it would seem as if the insurance companies, the bus company owners, and the law enforcement "officials", including court officials, do not care for safety, or legality of their actions, only revenues.  How many times has there been a reported followup in the media about any of these accidents?  Very few.  Just saying.

Skid pan at Chiswick was scrapped many years ago. I passed my bus test in 2003 and it wasn't in operation then. In recent years the CPC was introduced which means training is an ongoing thing even after test passed. No CPC no bus driving job! Also, every bus has to be comprehensively checked by the first driver every day. Any fault found then bus doesn't leave the garage.

14 minutes ago, ianwheldale said:

Skid pan at Chiswick was scrapped many years ago. I passed my bus test in 2003 and it wasn't in operation then. In recent years the CPC was introduced which means training is an ongoing thing even after test passed. No CPC no bus driving job! Also, every bus has to be comprehensively checked by the first driver every day. Any fault found then bus doesn't leave the garage.

As you were more recently involved, are you aware of the 45 degree regulation quoted - perhaps you could confirm this?

On 23-3-2018 at 5:07 AM, kotsak said:

Yes, right.. It's the buses fault, not the imbeciles driving them..

So no need for drugtests along the roads,  just let them busdrivers occupy the fast lane nonstop with their crappy brakesystems. Mai pen lai, sabaai sabaai.

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I'd be interested to know where does the 45 degree requirement come from?

I know it was 28 degrees for years, has this been increased dramatically in recent years?

This is the video I posted a few days ago in another thread, OK it is from 1957, but it was the only video I could find:

What's 17 degrees, between friends? Almost like comparing Talisker with Hong Pong . . . or whatever that popular Thai whisky's called.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ossy said:

What's 17 degrees, between friends? Almost like comparing Talisker with Hong Pong . . . or whatever that popular Thai whisky's called.

I think if you drank too much whisky you would probably be at 90 degrees.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

As you were more recently involved, are you aware of the 45 degree regulation quoted - perhaps you could confirm this?

That's more of an engineering area which I only had basic involvement with during my time as a controller. Things like this would be done by DVSA during the bus "MOT". Everything I have seen points to 28 deg for a double-decker and 35 deg for a single decker.

• Thanks 1

On 3/23/2018 at 10:42 AM, leeneeds said:

Failure of the employer to have in place a testing regime of drugs and alcohol,

Failure on employees part to have any thought of duty of care,

Failure on the goverment to implement strict rules on gaining a public passenger licences,

Failure on the police to remove from service suspect  substandard vehicles from the roads, 

equals to a big minus F , 

WAKE UP!

R.I.P.  (5 from one family)

..And to add......The width of the rear axles does not comply to international safety standards versus the height of the bus.

The "double decker" portions are constructed of lightweight timbers/slats/sheet fibreglass...not much stronger than a cardboard box (in my opinion)

• Like 2

On ‎23‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 5:18 AM, Get Real said:

No investigation needed. Save the money, it´s a clear case of malfictioning brakes. Everybody knows that!

that's very funny in an obscene way, but standard procedure and saves the expense of an in-depth accident investigation.

Anyone interested in a typical as it should be done investigation - google "bus crash investigations NSW" , a number of extensive investigation reports - worth the read to see how it should be done.

On 3/23/2018 at 8:04 AM, Jeremy50 said:

It's not difficult to spot the unsafe buses, they are the ones painted like a Japanese manga cartoon, are about 30 feet high, look, and are, top heavy, and have the rigidity and road handling capability of a giant wet sponge. Often to be seen leaning one way or the other, depending on the weight of people and luggage on the top deck.

u forgot  hogging  the  outside  lane  forever with disco lights and deafening  sound system

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KIWIBATCH said:

..And to add......The width of the rear axles does not comply to international safety standards versus the height of the bus.

The "double decker" portions are constructed of lightweight timbers/slats/sheet fibreglass...not much stronger than a cardboard box (in my opinion)

Would you please give the axle width of thai busses compared to the international "standard", as most thai busses are built onto well known vehicle manufacturers chassis etc. You have me a little confused - considering there is a max width to suit road lane widths.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KIWIBATCH said:

You forget the muti-layers of lurid paint covering up the bodyfiller from previous crashes adds to the strength.

29 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Would you please give the axle width of thai busses compared to the international "standard", as most thai busses are built onto well known vehicle manufacturers chassis etc. You have me a little confused - considering there is a max width to suit road lane widths.

Enjoy your reading

http://www.chiangraitimes.com/thailands-junta-orders-ban-on-double-decker-buses.html

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Bus-operators-risk-passenger-safety-for-profits-ex-30211193.html

34 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Here is one more for you.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/transport-department-enforce-slope-test-public-transport-buses/

A total of 17,588 buses need to pass the test, 5,741 of them are double-decker buses.

He said the department tested a total of 842 double-decker buses in 2013, 481 of them (57.1%) passing inspection, while 361 buses failing.

It also tested 408 other, and 224 of them (54.9%) passed but the other 184 buses did not.

4 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Here is one more for you.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/transport-department-enforce-slope-test-public-transport-buses/

A total of 17,588 buses need to pass the test, 5,741 of them are double-decker buses.

He said the department tested a total of 842 double-decker buses in 2013, 481 of them (57.1%) passing inspection, while 361 buses failing.

It also tested 408 other, and 224 of them (54.9%) passed but the other 184 buses did not.

Axle width is not slope test or overall height.

Edited by Artisi

1 minute ago, Artisi said:

Axle width is not slope test?

Maybe you could have bothered to read the links i provided.

The assembly technician went on to say that up to 70 of the buses he had modified had a standard chassis with a normal 2.5-metre axle despite the additional height. To comply with safety standards given the extra height, the axle should be wider than 2.5 metres. However, wider chassis are only made overseas, which would make the job of modifying the bus more expensive. 

28 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Maybe you could have bothered to read the links i provided.

The assembly technician went on to say that up to 70 of the buses he had modified had a standard chassis with a normal 2.5-metre axle despite the additional height. To comply with safety standards given the extra height, the axle should be wider than 2.5 metres. However, wider chassis are only made overseas, which would make the job of modifying the bus more expensive. 

Seems the world standard for bus and heavy vehicles is 2.5 metres. So would suggest the assembly technician doesn't know his a-se from his elbow.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

180 degrees? You mean hanging upside down like a bat?

I based my number on being at 90 degrees to the floor when standing and thus when lying down on floor, I thought that would be 180, but ......................not sure about Batman:smile: