Video: American desperate to be Thai - so why would "buffalo" Thais want to be Americans?!

webfact

On 3/23/2018 at 4:43 PM, Donotdisturb said:

Jup. Old farang knowitalls who speak 5 thai words after 25 years of barstooling in pats are indeed mire common. ??

I speak thai. Have PR. All fine. No need to become thai because... im not a Thai. I peel my apples cutting towards myself... 

Keep on cutting , please dont stop.

On 3/23/2018 at 10:23 AM, Misterwhisper said:

It's difficult to comprehend why he hasn't received Thai citizenship yet as he obviously is well integrated and has adopted a lot of typical male Thai behavior:

the self-loathing;

the insecurity;

the child-like immaturity

the emotional instability;

the cringe-worthy servility;

the nationalistic undertones in what he said;

the whiny voice (although spoken in perfect pitch; although he should work on his r's)

And I bet he's a bad driver, too.

But on a more serious note: Has he actually ever tried to apply for Thai citizenship? Several posters have correctly pointed out that it is in fact possible to attain. With him having lived in the country for so long, speaking the language so flawlessly, having adopted so many traits and having integrated so well, I don't see why it shouldn't be granted. Unfortunately, the article gives no details.

And if he has attempted it, it would be interesting to know on what reasonable grounds his application was turned down by the Interior Ministry reviewing panel.

Probably, because he wasn't thick enough but even that's doubtful lol ............

On 3/23/2018 at 12:28 PM, Kieranmc said:

He can of course become a Thai citizen under the correct requirements so i wonder why he hasnt? No money ? No job? 

Does anyone know what he is actually doing here other than eating ants? 

They are missionaries,trying to turn Buddhists into Christians. 

I am not going to look through all six pages to see if this has already been mentioned; but Eugene Long is quite infamous for his living with and aiding the Mlabri tribe, also known as the Yellow Leaf People,  in Thailand.  Many stories and videos about him and his efforts.  I visited the meager village and had dinner with them in 2010.  Actually quite an interesting guy and story.   Addressing another issue, the photo I "blurred" is a very successful business man Swiss friend, who has Thai citizenship and Thai passport.   http://articles.latimes.com/1990-08-19/news/mn-2681_1_american-missionary-family.    Google Eugene Long or Mlabri/Yellow Leaf People for more. 

PuaNan2010 105.jpg

yellowleaf blur.jpg

yellowleaf 052.jpg

Edited by silverhawk_usa

On 3/23/2018 at 4:30 PM, HLover said:

It's nice to see all his education paid off.

How much are his hammocks?

Photos or website to prove your claim?

Eugene Long had the Mlabri making these hammocks.  They were/are sold in markets and websites.  He later had Akha doing the work as the Mlabri were not very productive.  See my post #97.

yellowleaf 023.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 3/23/2018 at 1:35 PM, scorecard said:

There is a common belief that foreigners cannot get Thai citizenship.

In reality it's been possible for non-Thai people to attain Thai citizen for a very long time and still is and every year a few non-Thais do get Thai citizenship and a Thai passport.

I'm aware of one young British guy, came here when just 30 years old to hopefully get some work teaching bachelor of business programs (he already had an MBA from the UK). Fell in love with a young professional lady (not hi-so, not rich), the guy got a clear picture of what was needed in terms of language skills, personal education, contribution to society etc., and he went all out to get it right, at 35 he became a Thai national. No renewal, no 90 days reporting etc etc, nothing. 

He reads, writes, understands, speaks perfect Thai. Helps, with his Thai wife, at several schools for underprivileged kids. Today he teaches MBA programs in Thai and English. Very calm and pleasant your guy, keeps a low profile, well respected by his Thai and western work colleagues and his students. He doesn't play it up but he will privately admit that having Thai nationality opens many doors.

His wife opened her own consulting business, her husband helps as needed, no need for work permit, etc.

The threads at the start of the Thai visa forum give all the details of what's needed, the process etc. 

I would think that anyone holding a PR status for the required period of time is eligible for citizenship.  The only real hurdle for a PR status to many is the requirement to have a work permit and pay taxes for five years.  Never been able to convince myself that I needed more than a PR status though ... perhaps it’s the reverse if this fellows thinking.