Double-decker coach licences not renewed, says Prawit

webfact

20 hours ago, smedly said:

here we go - blame the coach, the fact that the driver was high on Yabba has nothing to do with it

coaches like these are safely operated all over the world, why not Thailand

I wish they would get some educated people in to run this country

Thais are not the same as other people.......

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Prawit, in his capacity as the chairman of the Road Safety Policy Committee, made the comment prior to the start of a Friday morning meeting at the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department in Bangkok.

The meeting was to consider a master plan for road safety for 2017-2020 and discuss road safety measures for the upcoming Songkran holidays. Prawit said the authorities would implement various measures, including the seizure of vehicles driven by drunk drivers.

Better late than never!  Nearly took him as long to give-in his Watch declaration!

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

The article is a bit distracting at best.

But no I don't think so. What was said is that all dd's licensed since 2015 will not have their licenses renewed when those licenses expire. But prior to the renewal date if a dd is found to not be in a "good standard of safety" it may lose its license sooner. Or not - this is Thailand.

Well! thats cleared up that cloudy area of understanding :shock1:

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, smedly said:

here we go - blame the coach, the fact that the driver was high on Yabba has nothing to do with it

If i remember correctly a while ago now there was also a trhread here

about the safety of these coaches.Apparently there are imported coaches(which are safe)and there are the single deck busses made into dubble coaches over here.These are the ones to watch out for,no increased braking no wider axles and no improved suspension.

I can not remember the exact thread this was on but maybe someone else knows?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, jvs said:

about the safety of these coaches.Apparently there are imported coaches(which are safe)and there are the single deck busses made into dubble coaches over here.These are the ones to watch out for,no increased braking no wider axles and no improved suspension.

Is this the post you were referring to?

image.png.e2665be110acc3c3c327e56142fbb006.png

Edited by bluesofa
  • Like 1

On 3/23/2018 at 2:57 PM, webfact said:

. . . for the upcoming Songkran holidays. Prawit said the authorities would implement various measures, including the seizure of vehicles driven by drunk drivers.

Passengers might be allowed in the cargo beds of pickup trucks, as long as they did not sit on cargo bed’s edge and the trucks were travelling at a low speed.

A few more Porky ponderables, here:-

• Re the upcoming Songkran holidays, it's good that he's talking about seizing drunks' vehicles. My doubts are whether the public will be made aware of this strong deterrent and whether the police will be in any shape or mind to enforce it.
  • As for 'passengers might be allowed in the cargo beds of pickup trucks', read 'there will be no ban on people riding in pickup cargo decks.' Whether or not these people will be sitting on the edge; again, that will be almost impossible to police. What stupid and ill-thought remarks to make, just when the PtB ought to be at least looking like they want to save a life or two.
  • And, as for the condition that 'the trucks were traveling at a low speed'; again, during and amongst the chaotic Songkran streets, that will be as good as impossible to enforce.

So, the likely impact of Porky's pronouncements will be the usual . . . absolutely NIL.

Good old Porky . . . it's good he has his fingers in more than just the porky pie; there's always going to be something to laugh about on TVF.

Edited by Ossy
correction

1 hour ago, jvs said:

nothing surprises me at all in this country which has no enforced standards and money means everything regardless - everything needs to be done as cheaply as possible and goes from the bottom right to the top.

Enforcing standards requires money and organisation with supporting agencies laws and punishments, as I have said many times - the only area were Thailand actually conforms to standards is in the air industry because they wouldn't be allowed to operate without meeting them and they are all enforced from outside Thailand, oh what a pain that must be as they count up all the money it costs

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Is this the post you were referring to?

image.png.e2665be110acc3c3c327e56142fbb006.png

Yes, any heavy impact above chassis height and you can pretty well right-off a lot of people. Scandalous design and, what's worse, there being no mechanism in place to ban these death traps in the making. We now know about the 2015 mandates but that was 3 years ago. Surely, if no licences have been renewed since then, there wouldn't be the many double-deckers that we still see, parking up at the PPT's; indeed, there shouldn't be any still on the road, at all, if we're only talking about 1-year licences . . . or could there be some of these monsters on the road, UNLICENCED? Oh-oh . . . there's another system that's slipped the trap and another few families missing a body or two on the breakfast bench.

Edited by Ossy
omisson
  • Like 1

and on top of all this, Thai police raid pubs and clubs for various reasons including drug testing and yet we have hundreds of bus drivers with huge responsibility for tourists who are it seems taking all manner of drugs with impunity, how about doing something useful like random drugs test for all HGV (buses lorries) drivers and with stiff jail terms and huge fines if caught.....................oh wait the kickback value is next to nothing

There is so much wrong in this country it is really difficult to figure out were to start 

Edited by smedly
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, smedly said:

and on top of all this, Thai police raid pubs and clubs for various reasons including drug testing and yet we have hundreds of bus drivers with huge responsibility for tourists who are it seems taking all manner of drugs with impunity, how about doing something useful like random drugs test for all HGV (buses lorries) drivers and with stiff jail terms and huge fines if caught.....................oh wait the kickback value is next to nothing

There is so much wrong in this country it is really difficult to figure out were to start 

The day any hi-so / politician or family become part of the extraordinary daily road kill, there might be some action, of course that will depend on how high the hi-so is and how important the politician is - and then again this might also be a pipe-dream.

33 minutes ago, Ossy said:

Yes, any heavy impact above chassis height and you can pretty well right-off a lot of people. Scandalous design and, what's worse, there being no mechanism in place to ban these death traps in the making. We now know about the 2015 mandates but that was 3 years ago. Surely, if no licences have been renewed since then, there wouldn't be the many double-deckers that we still see, parking up at the PPT's; indeed, there shouldn't be any still on the road, at all, if we're only talking about 1-year licences . . . or could there be some of these monsters on the road, UNLICENCED? Oh-oh . . . there's another system that's slipped the trap and another few families missing a body or two on the breakfast bench.

the above chassis construction is only a means of supporting all the glass and sheet-metal cladding forming part of the overall bus "body" - to construct it as an impact resistant structure would result in far too much above centre -of- gravity mass making the whole unit even more unstable.    

• Like 1

Blame the buses... and nothing to do with Thai Driving standards???

Here in the UK we have probably something like 100,000 double decker buses in service and have very few accidents.

Maybe Thailand would be interested in some new routemasters...

5ab61e5bde6e0_Metroline_bus_LT25_(LTZ_1025)_route_24_23_June_2013.jpg.10750b9fb6fbc73d068a5c9c2b4bd15c.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Here in the UK we have probably something like 100,000 double decker buses in service and have very few accidents.

5ab61e5bde6e0_Metroline_bus_LT25_(LTZ_1025)_route_24_23_June_2013.jpg.10750b9fb6fbc73d068a5c9c2b4bd15c.jpg

Now, now, Basil . . . no-one on this thread has suggested that this and other accidents have nothing to do with Thai driving standards. We all know more than we like knowing about those. But, I'm sure you'll agree that the Routemaster looks more like it could stand up to the odd tree - or even low bridge - or two, better than those spindly-bodied things shown above.

12 minutes ago, Ossy said:

Now, now, Basil . . . no-one on this thread has suggested that this and other accidents have nothing to do with Thai driving standards. We all know more than we like knowing about those. But, I'm sure you'll agree that the Routemaster looks more like it could stand up to the odd tree - or even low bridge - or two, better than those spindly-bodied things shown above.

On major factor as depicted in the photos above is the center of gravity is much higher than the UK buses, nearly one full meter which must make them a lot less stable.

Edited by Basil B
  • Thanks 1

Passengers might be allowed in the cargo beds of pickup trucks, as long as they did not sit on cargo bed’s edge and the trucks were travelling at a low speed

when a DPM says it is ok to break the law, is it not suprising that the RTP act the way they do in regards to enforcing the law

i think we should all cut them a lot of slack.

1 hour ago, Basil B said:

Or drivers would be more to the point.

On ‎23‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 3:20 PM, smedly said:

Many of the older model do not pass the 30 % inclinaison test and are still allowed on the road. 

ight.They are over the maximum legal height. ( This  was mentioned in many articles over the years)

Manu are >home made > by  the same big coach company and from what I read in some news paper article in the past years, the plan are not certified bu engineers.

Many do not have engine brake. or electrical brake like all European buses  to assit in braking.

Few are automatic transmission busses with a brake assist in the transmission . I drove truck with this type of assit and I can tell you it is very  effective.

2 minutes ago, cnx355 said:

Many of the older model do not pass the 30 % inclinaison test and are still allowed on the road. 

ight.They are over the maximum legal height. ( This  was mentioned in many articles over the years)

Manu are >home made > by  the same big coach company and from what I read in some news paper article in the past years, the plan are not certified bu engineers.

Many do not have engine brake. or electrical brake like all European buses  to assit in braking.

Few are automatic transmission busses with a brake assist in the transmission . I drove truck with this type of assit and I can tell you it is very  effective.

Irrespective of all the don't haves, doesn't comply etc, it's still down to the driver to operate the bus within its capabilities, observed the road conditions etc. ---  no excuses for brainless operation.

1 hour ago, Artisi said:

Or drivers would be more to the point.

When I said...

"Blame the buses... and nothing to do with Thai Driving standards???"

...Obviously some people did not understand I was making a sarcastic remark.

Obviously there are many factors as to the cause of the accident not just driving standards (but I along with many others feel it is probably  the most significant factor in this accident) but also design, maintenance, other drivers and quality of the roads also likely to be factors to concider.

Edited by Basil B

3 minutes ago, Basil B said:

When I said...

"Blame the buses... and nothing to do with Thai Driving standards???"

...Obviously some people did not understand I was making a sarcastic remark.

I was responding to the post about getting different busses. 

6 minutes ago, Artisi said:

I was responding to the post about getting different busses. 

Yes, there must be many TFL drivers who would love to work in Thailand, but somehow I doubt that they would get a WP even though they would be far safer alternative to the currant bus drivers.