Australia admit ball tampering in third test against South Africa

The ICC charge sheet against Captain Smith read:

1.  Ball Tampering.

That is a misdemeanor.   Thus the one match ban and fine.

CA's charge sheet against Captain Smith read:

1.  Knowledge of a potential plan to attempt to artificially alter the condition of the ball

2.  Failure to take steps to seek to prevent the development and implementation of that plan

3.  Directing that evidence of attempted tampering be concealed on the field of play

4.  Seeking to mislead officials regarding Bancroft’s attempts to artificially alter the condition of the ball

5.  Misleading public comments regarding the nature, extent and participants of the plan.

They are felonies.   Thus the twelve month ban.

As for Lehman, poor sportsmanship and discipline were allowed to fester under his watch.   Either he was guilty of knowing about the ball tampering, or guilty of not knowing.   He had to go.

Edited by Radar501
  • Like 1

More blubbering on tv again this morning from the bullying cheats.  Funny now they are talking about sportsmanship when all they've done for years is bully, slag off and abuse opposition players and refer to it as "sledging" as if its part of the game.

Its never been part of the game, more so a way of gaining an advantage in a thoroughly unsportsmanlike manner as befits this particular cricket team.  All this couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch and Lehman falling on his sword is not before time either.  he's been fully party to this teams on field behavior under his tenure regardless of whether he did or didn't know about the incident on day three in Durban.

A little bit of commonsense and relativity on the situation.

http://www.watoday.com.au/video/video-sport/video-cricket/cricketers-association-wants-review-of-disproportionate-bans-20180403-53u3j.html

Here, for the bigoted and hypocritical English and South Africans, are a couple of other Captains caught for the same offence. The penalties and outcries were vastly different for these offenders!

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/dec/22/faf-du-plessis-loses-appeal-against-ball-tampering-charge-from-hobart-test

http://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/43532624

On 4/3/2018 at 12:43 PM, Old Croc said:

A little bit of commonsense and relativity on the situation.

http://www.watoday.com.au/video/video-sport/video-cricket/cricketers-association-wants-review-of-disproportionate-bans-20180403-53u3j.html

Here, for the bigoted and hypocritical English and South Africans, are a couple of other Captains caught for the same offence. The penalties and outcries were vastly different for these offenders!

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/dec/22/faf-du-plessis-loses-appeal-against-ball-tampering-charge-from-hobart-test

http://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/43532624

Hardly the same is it.  The premeditation.  You might call us hypocrites but i would rather lose every game than win one by cheating.

Warners a horrid little sh*t anyway.  Good riddance to him.

3 hours ago, carmine said:

Hardly the same is it.  The premeditation.  You might call us hypocrites but i would rather lose every game than win one by cheating.

Very much the same! Atherton with his pocket full of dirt was just as premeditated as the Australians and Du Plessis was caught twice. He used a zip sewn onto his trouser pocket to rough up the ball. Very unusual place for a zip and to me very premeditated. Also I'm sure it didn't occur to him on the spur of the moment that the particular lolly he was sucking might make a good shine on the ball! 

Nothing in your reply changes my mind about hypocrisy. Quite the opposite.

I don't much like Warner's personality either, but don't consider it part the debate about the disparity in punishment for like offenses. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, carmine said:

While Warner belongs to our country he is no concern of yours,unless all the runs and run outs he has contributed against your side offends you.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Very much the same! Atherton with his pocket full of dirt was just as premeditated as the Australians and Du Plessis was caught twice. He used a zip sewn onto his trouser pocket to rough up the ball. Very unusual place for a zip and to me very premeditated. Also I'm sure it didn't occur to him on the spur of the moment that the particular lolly he was sucking might make a good shine on the ball! 

I don't much like Warner's personality either, but don't consider it part the debate about the disparity in punishment for like offenses. 

As an Aussie I don't care about the disparities. Let the penalties for Smith, Warner and Bancroft stand as they are. Let them be an example for any other Australian cricketer, now and future.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Come on Old Croc, what disparity!

https://nestaquin.wordpress.com/2008/08/25/trescothick-we-cheated/

Trescothick: We Cheated!

25marcus.jpgThe worst kept secret in international cricket has finally been admitted by mentally ill former English opening batsman Marcus Trescothick: England cheated to narrowly win the 2005 Ashes series.

In his new tome, Trescothick writes that he was in charge of a conspiracy to use mints to manufacture the shine on the ball to increase the efficiency and longevity of the deadly reverse-swing that rattled the Australian middle-order. No wonder McGrath and co. could not replicate the late swing that Flintoff and Jones regularly produced in the same conditions. The Australians played within the rules. The English did not.

Fletcher and Vaughan encouraged the ball tampering and Trescothick admits in his book that he even experimented before the series began until he found the right brand of mint. He also writes that the English team tried using sugary sweets to create a false shine during the 2001 Ashes series. Logic suggests that in the years between the English tampered with the ball against every opponent at home.

To put this incident in perspective for our loyal English readers I offer an analogy. Maradona’s hand of god goal was a spur of the moment decision. The English fraud was planned and executed by the coach, the captain and his deputy over many years, many matches and hundreds of net sessions.

During the 2005 Ashes the Australians raised this exact allegation and were howled down by the English management, captain and press. So, not only are the English premeditated cheats but bald-faced liars as well.

We will learn plenty about the character of the English public and cricket as this information is digested and understood. A team that won by illegal deception were awarded MBE’s and were cheered and lauded throughout the nation. I imagine our shared Monarch will not be amused when she learns of this deception.

There is already a campaign to flood her mailbox with letters demanding that the cheats return their medals and be publicly humiliated for denigrating the humble game of cricket and the reputation of Great Britain.

According to my source at Cricket Australia, the ECB have few friends at the ICC and unless punitive action is taken they will lose their most loyal and powerful ally, Australia. He also informs that discussions are taking place this afternoon with the Asian bloc to consider what action needs to be taken to against the perpertrators. Troy Cooley, much better at keeping a secret than Trescothick, will be interviewed and I suspect that his testimony will not be flattering.

We now know that the so-called Fletcher years were a farce. Vaughan’s captaincy is also under the microscope. Fortunately for England their new skipper, a rookie in 2005, was not part of the ongoing conspiracy. But then again, he was raised in a different continent with different attitudes to what is sporting and what is not. So there is hope that England will play within the spirit of the game in the years to come.

India, Pakistan and Australia will not allow Trescothick’s whistle-blowing to be swept under the carpet. They expect justice and the ECB would be foolish to deny them their due. Personally, this long suspected cheating only makes last year’s 5-0 humiliation even more satisfying.

The men in Baggygreen now have an added motivation to repeat the shellacking in 2009 and there is no doubt that English cricket will be scrutinised to a level never before seen in cricketing circles. It may even motivate Shane Warne to reconsider retirement.

Shame on you England. You are a disgrace to the grand game that your forebears invented. The rest of the cricketing family are aggrieved and this will not be forgotten or forgiven easily.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, farmerjo said:

While Warner belongs to our country he is no concern of yours,unless all the runs and run outs he has contributed against your side offends you.

Actually i'm just sick of his foul mouthed antics on (and off) the pitch, which is referred to as sledging.  Its just personal abuse used to get an unfair advantage over the opposition.  A different form of cheating and regardless of anything, not in the spirit of the game.

At least the New Zealanders show some class.  The sledging, as it is pathetically called, was a disgrace to both sides in the last Ashes series.  Aside of being boorish and tedious.  The sport would be well rid of it.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, carmine said:

Actually i'm just sick of his foul mouthed antics on (and off) the pitch, which is referred to as sledging.  Its just personal abuse used to get an unfair advantage over the opposition.  A different form of cheating and regardless of anything, not in the spirit of the game.

At least the New Zealanders show some class.  The sledging, as it is pathetically called, was a disgrace to both sides in the last Ashes series.  Aside of being boorish and tedious.  The sport would be well rid of it.

No argument from me.

I quite like Michael Holdings idea TBH.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/cricket/west-indian-great-michael-holding-has-a-plan-to-eradicate-nasty-sledging-from-cricket/news-story/698698af1708c7d3a39d022b07a10bd1

“I’m not talking about banter where people pass sarcastic remarks — I have absolutely no problems with that,” Holding told Supersport in South Africa.

“You may walk past a batsman and, to your teammate, say ‘last year he was a good player but look at him scratching around now’. I have no problem with that.

“But when you’ve got to look at someone and tell them about their heritage and their parents and their wife and mother. That? Yellow card immediately. If you do that twice? Red card.”

Holding’s bold plan doesn’t stop there.

Once a player errs twice and is shown a red card, there is no reprieve. The player cannot return to the field, nor can he be replaced — whether it be as a batsman, a bowler or even in the field.

“For the match — your team plays with ten. You can’t replace them,” he added.

“You don’t get a substitute fielder either. You play with ten — and you’ll see how quickly that rubbish stops.”

• Like 2

9 hours ago, carmine said:

I'm sorry the Lawn Bowls rinks are over on the other side of the pavilion if you want to sit down and have scones at afternoon tea time with your opponents:smile:

Edited by farmerjo

10 hours ago, carmine said:

Listened to a good interview last week; J. Aggers and Sir R. Hadlee. Well worth a listen.

12 hours ago, farmerjo said:

I'm sorry the Lawn Bowls rinks are over on the other side of the pavilion if you want to sit down and have scones at afternoon tea time with your opponents:smile:

Or, put another way, we Aussies are not good enough to win on skill alone so we have to verbally abuse our opponents to gain an advantage.  And we'll invent a name for it and claim its a legit part of the sport.

Totally classless.  Run along mate.....

• Haha 1