SBK 2018

Lucky33

This year I decided to go   visit the 2018 SBK races in Buriram and I'm glad that I did. Yesterday Saturday was an exciting race and I'm planning on today's race being just as good. Here are a couple of photos that I took yesterday, as you can see there was a good crowd in attendance.

track01.JPG

track2.JPG

track3.JPG

I had a great time at the races. The track is easy to get to and you could see the track completely from the grandstand, I only wish that I had brought my binoculars but I'll remember them for the MotoGP races in October :smile:

I've been making trips on motorcycles for many years but this trip I tried something completely different.  Usually my trips are on one or two highways that are marked very well but getting from Pattaya to Buriram entails eight or ten different highways and some aren't all that well marked. I don't have a GPS on my bike so I use the one on my phone but I didn't want to be taking my phone out to look at the map constantly so this trip I used earbuds to listen to music and instruction from my GPS while I was riding. 

A couple of years ago I enquired on this forum about the best earbuds to use while riding and most contributors were divided about whether it was the right thing to do, most thought that riding a bike was dangerous enough and with the earbuds you wouldn't be able to hear traffic. Someone suggested Shure SE215 as the best fit for underneath a tight fitting helmet and that's what I bought. I was amazed, the GPS directions were perfect and I never had to take my phone out to look at the map once and I also enjoyed listening to the music while I was riding. It probably is a little more dangerous but I really enjoyed hearing my favorite music on the fairly long ride, I will definitely use my ear buds for my next trip also. 

On 3/27/2018 at 5:46 AM, Lucky33 said:

I had a great time at the races. The track is easy to get to and you could see the track completely from the grandstand, I only wish that I had brought my binoculars but I'll remember them for the MotoGP races in October :smile:

I've been making trips on motorcycles for many years but this trip I tried something completely different.  Usually my trips are on one or two highways that are marked very well but getting from Pattaya to Buriram entails eight or ten different highways and some aren't all that well marked. I don't have a GPS on my bike so I use the one on my phone but I didn't want to be taking my phone out to look at the map constantly so this trip I used earbuds to listen to music and instruction from my GPS while I was riding. 

A couple of years ago I enquired on this forum about the best earbuds to use while riding and most contributors were divided about whether it was the right thing to do, most thought that riding a bike was dangerous enough and with the earbuds you wouldn't be able to hear traffic. Someone suggested Shure SE215 as the best fit for underneath a tight fitting helmet and that's what I bought. I was amazed, the GPS directions were perfect and I never had to take my phone out to look at the map once and I also enjoyed listening to the music while I was riding. It probably is a little more dangerous but I really enjoyed hearing my favorite music on the fairly long ride, I will definitely use my ear buds for my next trip also. 

I have to ask why so many highways, a few years ago road from Surin to Pattaya and only 3 or 4 highways where used. Would need to go back and check the handy road map to be sure. Looks and sounds like a good trip.

12 hours ago, papa al said:

Sounds like you had fun.

Did you notice the names or nationalities of the winning riders?

Papa No have Google ??

WSBBuriram.JPG.6e041546082180c5b6a777fc12368bae.JPG

I was there on Sunday and as being Dutch proud to see Mighty Micheal coming in second IMG_1594.thumb.JPG.e38402b6153c9118086976dc2bc5d2d4.JPGIMG_1595.thumb.JPG.9f726647f578af77dc5b4d99de73e4e1.JPGeing Dutch a proud to see Mighty Micheal coming in second 

21 hours ago, moe666 said:

I have to ask why so many highways, a few years ago road from Surin to Pattaya and only 3 or 4 highways where used. Would need to go back and check the handy road map to be sure. Looks and sounds like a good trip.

It was a good trip, I really enjoyed it. Here is the route that I took:

Route 3

Route 36

Route 331

Route 304

Route 359

Route 3395

Route 348

Route 24

Route 218

There might be simpler ways to get there but those are the directions that I followed on Google Maps as being the fastest way from Pattaya to Buriram. I know the way from Pattaya  to 331 like the back of my hand but I had never been on any of the other roads and the phone GPS sure came in handy as some of the routes weren't marked at all near Buriram.

Sounds like a good trip.

Did you not have any problems finding accomodation in Buriram? This is what has put me off going in previous years, i thought finding rooms was next to impossible?

4 hours ago, JaiLai said:

Sounds like a good trip.

Did you not have any problems finding accomodation in Buriram? This is what has put me off going in previous years, i thought finding rooms was next to impossible?

In previous years this was the case but this year the MotoGP races in October took a lot of the pressure off the SBK races and you could find a room in Buriram fairly easy. That's not the case with the MotoGP races this year, from what I saw all of the hotels in Buriram are already booked. I lucked up and got a reservation for the MotoGP races but I had some serious good luck to do it. 

7 hours ago, Lucky33 said:

In previous years this was the case but this year the MotoGP races in October took a lot of the pressure off the SBK races and you could find a room in Buriram fairly easy. That's not the case with the MotoGP races this year, from what I saw all of the hotels in Buriram are already booked. I lucked up and got a reservation for the MotoGP races but I had some serious good luck to do it. 

Ok, thanks.

So you're all booked up for the MOTOGP in October already, race tickets included?

If you don't mind me asking, what did that cost you for tickets, which hotel you use?

Thanks.

3 hours ago, JaiLai said:

Ok, thanks.

So you're all booked up for the MOTOGP in October already, race tickets included?

If you don't mind me asking, what did that cost you for tickets, which hotel you use?

I'm all booked and paid for the hotel, I'm staying at the Tulip Hotel for the MotoGP races and that's the same one that I stayed in for the SBK races. The MotoGP tickets aren't available yet so I don't know how much they will be. Of course hotel rates are about double regular price for the race weekends and most have a 3 day minimum. The MotoGP tickets won't be a problem, finding a close place to stay is the problem :smile:.

5 hours ago, Lucky33 said:

I'm all booked and paid for the hotel, I'm staying at the Tulip Hotel for the MotoGP races and that's the same one that I stayed in for the SBK races. The MotoGP tickets aren't available yet so I don't know how much they will be. Of course hotel rates are about double regular price for the race weekends and most have a 3 day minimum. The MotoGP tickets won't be a problem, finding a close place to stay is the problem :smile:.

Cool - thanks.

Archived