Thai govt unlikely to ban deadly farm chemical

webfact

10 minutes ago, kannot said:

So IS paraquat carcinogenic or not?

Problem is the persistency like all hydrocarbon. Bind with soil and accumulate to dangerous level. Safer newer chemicals are biodegradable over time. Link to cancer causing sickness. 

18 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Problem is the persistency like all hydrocarbon. Bind with soil and accumulate to dangerous level. Safer newer chemicals are biodegradable over time. Link to cancer causing sickness. 

Whats the safer alternative? dont see any link?

Edited by kannot

48 minutes ago, geistfunke said:

" More than 40 countries have banned or restricted the use of paraquat due to its toxicity. ..."
Perfect, the Thai farmers can stop the Agriculture-Export now and forget about the "Kitchen of the world".

Its use is banned in the EU, but not its export. Huddersfield can be very proud of its export achievements as the only EU factory producing the stuff, which is now being linked to Parkinsons disease as well as hundreds of suicides. Three cheers for British industry....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, inThailand said:

Even if they banned it, that wouldn't stop those who sell it or those who use it. 

and then think of what else they are illegally using..im betting theres a nice rd from china to tland where they can off load banned products very cheaply and a population that laps up anything 'cheap'

27 minutes ago, mrfill said:

Its use is banned in the EU, but not its export. Huddersfield can be very proud of its export achievements as the only EU factory producing the stuff, which is now being linked to Parkinsons disease as well as hundreds of suicides. Three cheers for British industry....

I hadn't realized that the UK still manufacturers paraquat.  A quick Google found a news report from last year about how the UK still exports pesticides that are illegal to use in Europe.  The manufacturer was also fined for an accidental spillage of the chemical in the UK.

2 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

There are quite a few organic, biodegradable, non toxic chemicals that go by their brand name like Biosafe and Avenger. The link to cancer refer to Paraguat. I used to sell hydrocarbon like phenol, lindane, deldrin etc and since have change to synthetic pyrethoids and other safer chemicals.  

Is  that the name in Thailand? or any photo so i can look out for it and see how effective it is

8 hours ago, Khun Paul said:

So in truth the Government is allowing its population to be harmed and possibly suffer terrible health risks because it does not have the GUTS or the WILL to ban a chemical substance , known to be harmful to Humankind. 

WELL DONE NCPO. now we really know what you care about and it is NOT THE PEOPLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's only ever been about the money............

My cousin 53 years old, just died from pesticide poisoning in Buri ram. Been spraying the stuff for years. No one informed him it would kill you if inhaled, just another poor farmer bit the dust. While some people are enriching themselves over dead bodies.

Edited by uffe123
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, ostyan said:

What is the issue? Darts? Can be banned. E-cigarettes? Can be banned. Ban deadly farm chemical? No way, OMG, how ....? 

As I have said previously............money (along with corruption). TiT, don't you know.

The rich do not care what the poor eat. All the millionaires I know have their own organic garden and farmers working for them. No pesticides are used and the food vegetables are perfectly safe.

I guess that nobody from the government eats supermarket vegetables...

By the way, is there a shop selling exclusively organic vegetables in Thailand ? And in supermarket, can you find everything organic as in the west ? It seems not.

13 hours ago, kannot said:

I had a  woman come here and spray it once for me in some tall grass  during construction whilst I had been away, she  wore just some shorts, no mask or  gloves but best of all wa s followed  round by her children ( about 5-6yrs  old)  running thru the freshly sprayed and still wet gramaoxone. Ive given up caring for the Thai, I spent 5  years being kind  and nice now I just have no interest.

Yes, no way to teach them anything.

People who do not know in 2018 are just too stupid to know. Everybody has internet and could know everything. People who do not want to know just deserve to die the way it happens. Sad but true.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gamesgplayemail said:

People who do not know in 2018 are just too stupid to know. Everybody has internet and could know everything. People who do not want to know just deserve to die the way it happens. Sad but true.

A lot of Thai people cannot aford  the internet. Also have you tried Thai Wi fi. Some times woks sometimes not.many Thai people cannot read or write even.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Lupatria said:

Smog by burning fields and forests, Fukushima fish, asbestos, formalin, and paraquat are perfect weapons in the 'governments' war against an aging population. It is silent, generates money, and is not causing any international outrage, as straight forward euthanasia would.

And to make more profit, the TAT may come up with a new slogan for their 'Kitchen of the world' propaganda.

"Experience survival of the fittest first plate- Dine in Thailand".

Yea, and don't eat anything in US as they use this shit too, but in reality, UK is even worse as they have banned the use of Paraquat but they produce and export this shit all over the world instead!!!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, gamesgplayemail said:

Unfortunately the Thais use of the internet in many cases is limited to facebook tittle  tattle, when I first got the internet in the early 1990s  id  spend hours  looking up facts and information, it was truly fascinating, now its their purely to keep tiny minds occupied with pointless games and "look at me" sites, "Today Im eating a sandwich, in 5  minutes  Ill be having a dump, oooops Ive just farted" etc etc etc

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

A lot of Thai people cannot aford  the internet. Also have you tried Thai Wi fi. Some times woks sometimes not.many Thai people cannot read or write even.

Never  seen a  Thai who cannot get on the internet EVER, any 7-11 any shop anywhere in Thailand inc  my local Mom n Pop store..face buried in phone using the internet..where do you live in Thailand?? In a cave? Cannot  read or write? funny thought they had 96%  literacy or something?? doesnt say much for the education system then, still bet theyre  good  at marching up and down or reciting the national anthem,

Edited by kannot
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, gamesgplayemail said:

Everybody has internet and could know everything.. yup .. maybe you missed out something.. Do you search for info in Thai language? I assume you do search your info in English.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bkkthebest said:

Are the organic food in Thailand tainted as well? 

According to a couple of surveys over the past couple of years YES............and in some cases the "organic" stuff was just as heavily contaminated as the "normal" contaminated stuff on sale in supermarkets and farmers markets.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

12 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

They just know enough to waste their time on stupid facebook and anyone finding them excuses is not better than them ! Poor an uneducated just deserve their poor life, nobody has excuse in 2018 !

Citing the existence of Internet as a reason for not excusing ignorance is ridiculous.  There is so much nonsense out there dressed up as fact.  Self-proclaimed "wellness warriors" who say cancer can be cured through diet and herbs, and conspiracy theorists telling us to distrust vaccines.

It's like saying that, because we've discovered fire, nobody has an excuse not to know how to cook.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, attrayant said:

Citing the existence of Internet as a reason for not excusing ignorance is ridiculous.  There is so much nonsense out there dressed up as fact.  Self-proclaimed "wellness warriors" who say cancer can be cured through diet and herbs, and conspiracy theorists telling us to distrust vaccines.

It's like saying that, because we've discovered fire, nobody has an excuse not to know how to cook.

I thought facebook could cure cancer???? oh gawd what have I done!!