Chiang Rai: Teen edges out man triple his age for dramatic win

webfact

Teen edges out man triple his age for dramatic win

By Lerpong Amsa-ngiam 
The Nation

c6517436fb3f5f5cdcb8e30c2050a22c.jpeg

Phachara Kongwatmai poses with the trophy.

Chiang Rai - Teenage sensation Pachara Kwongwatmai won a gripping battle of the generations against six-time champion Prayad Marksaeng to capture the BT 5 million Singha Masters at the Santiburi Country Club on Sunday.

The 18-year-old, who started his final round with a three-shot lead, struggled all day until sparking a late comeback with an eagle at the 15th and eventually carding a one-under 71 and forcing his 54-year-old opponent into a playoff as they both finished at 18-under-par-270.

Pachara then reeled off another eagle on the 18th hole play-off to stun the veteran and heavy favourite.

“I was trying to be patient as I didn’t find my form. I didn’t expect to shoot an eagle for a playoff. It was an exciting final and I will keep some of my great shots in my memory,” said Phachara, who signed off with a 71.

The triumph was a redemption of sorts for the Hat-Yai-based youngster, who stumbled to a double-bogey at the final hole 12 months ago to hand Panuphol Pittayarat victory. This time, Panuphol finished tied for third with the American Johannes Veerman after both finished on 17-under 271.

2d6b897c6f7265528970fdb3ccd8b6cf.jpeg

Kamonwan Luamsri and Phachara Kongwatmai 

“I learned a lot from last year. I didn’t put myself under pressure to win this year but in the end I won the trophy and I’m happy,” added Phachara, who said he ahd not been daunted by having to in a playoff the legend Prayad, winner of 19 All Thailand Golf Tour titles.

“I tried to focus with my game, not thinking that I was playing with Prayad. I was just lucky to make two eagle putts,” added Phachara who ended his two-year title drought of title to claim the winner’s cheque for Bt750,0000.

The rising star will next return to the European Tour where his goal is to retain his card this year, his next event being in Spain next month.

Prayad who just won his first title this year a few weeks ago in Lumphun said: "I already gave my all out there but Phachara is too good. He deserves to win." 

On the women’s side, Kamonwan Luamsri from Khon Kaen shot an even-par 72 to beat Trichat Cheenglab by a stroke for her second career title. 

The 23-year-old law student from Thammasat University fired a total five-over-par-293.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/sports/30341701

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-26
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

I would have liked to see both Kamonwan and Phachara posed in equal stances.

I doubt she would have chosen to sit on the grass if the photo was of her only.

My western eyes had a similar thought when I saw the photo and then I realized that the poses were Thai. Consider that if the woman had posed like the male what we would have seen; Perhaps ok for a Pattaya  Walking Street tart, but not very ladylike. The male would not have posed like the female as hers was a traditional Thai woman pose. We must remind ourselves to consider Thai culture and traditions  when looking at these things. Ideally they should have just stood with the trophies, but these photographers  have a bad habit of trying to be artistic.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Another example of Thailand's  strong economic "middle" class and the fact the economic planning of past governments has paid off. This is the Thailand that many foreigners never see, nor experience.

Paid off developing golfers?

6 hours ago, Justfine said:

Paid off developing golfers?

No, as in a growing middle class who have the income and  discretionary wealth to engage in past times previously considered solely the domain of the "wealthy". I do not play gold and  dislike the water use of golf courses, so I am no fan. That does not preclude me from seeing the big picture: Thailand is far wealthier and more prosperous today than 25 years or even 10 years ago. Perhaps it irks some westerners  who are envious of such economic advancement. I don't know. What I do know is that Thailand has  moved forward  even if some  aspects of life are still backward.