School Slow on Teaching License

Bayrat

Several of people at work have all the required documents for our teaching licenses, but our school is just not doing our evaluations.  Therefore, we cannot process our teaching licenses.  

Does anyone know of what possible remedies there would be for teachers in this situation?

Thanks in advance. 

Does anyone know of what possible remedies there would be for teachers in this situation?

Thanks in advance. 

Nothing else you can do than to find a new employer, work there for at least 1 year and get yourself the evaluation.

Aidenai, when was the requirement for a Teaching Licence first introduced ?

By law in June 2006. Got gradually enforced in 2007/ 2008, i.e. the requirement for waivers a.k.a. provisional teaching permits a.k.a. temporary teaching licenses by Immigration and Labour.

I retired from a teaching position in Bangkok in March 2010, without having been caught up in any of it, with one exception - I think it was in early 2009 that we were told on short notice that we had to attend a three-day Thai Culture Course. I know that I renewed my Visa and Work Permit in March 2009, with no mention of anything pertaining to the need for a Teacher's Licence, professional development or a waiver.

• Like 1

It took my school over a month to do the paperwork for my application.  Another teacher, who got his PGCEi last summer, had to wait almost 3 months for the school to do the evaluations and other stuff.  He finally received his TL about 6 months after he finished his PGCEi courses.

I would recommend reminding your school admin that your deadline for applying is coming up and ask them when they can have your paperwork ready.

I retired from a teaching position in Bangkok in March 2010, without having been caught up in any of it, with one exception - I think it was in early 2009 that we were told on short notice that we had to attend a three-day Thai Culture Course. I know that I renewed my Visa and Work Permit in March 2009, with no mention of anything pertaining to the need for a Teacher's Licence, professional development or a waiver.

I live and work upcountry. It was in 2006 when my school asked me to get a police clearance check from my home country. Applied to all foreign teachers there. In October 2007 I was required to attend a Thai Language, Culture and Ethics course in Bangkok. At the course I met many foreign teachers from other schools in town. Guess it was a provincial order. At the course I became aware of the Professional Knowledge Tests to get the teacher license. In May 2008, Immigration refused me an extension. I was given several documents (in Thai) that showed that a waiver or provisional teaching permit was required. Went with a Thai colleague to the TCT and got myself my first provisional teaching permit and subsequently my extension of stay. I sat the tests several times and finally passed them all and received my TCT teacher license in 2011. I renewed it in 2016.
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, aidenai said:

I live and work upcountry. It was in 2006 when my school asked me to get a police clearance check from my home country. Applied to all foreign teachers there. In October 2007 I was required to attend a Thai Language, Culture and Ethics course in Bangkok. At the course I met many foreign teachers from other schools in town. Guess it was a provincial order. At the course I became aware of the Professional Knowledge Tests to get the teacher license. In May 2008, Immigration refused me an extension. I was given several documents (in Thai) that showed that a waiver or provisional teaching permit was required. Went with a Thai colleague to the TCT and got myself my first provisional teaching permit and subsequently my extension of stay. I sat the tests several times and finally passed them all and received my TCT teacher license in 2011. I renewed it in 2016.

I think you got your license in the nick of time. The courses are no longer offered to my knowledge and 3 waivers and you're out. Please correct me if I'm wrong

^ The tests are no longer offered, but if you enroll in an MEd or PGCEi or DipEd course and show the TCT a letter from that school confirming that you are enrolled, they will give you another 2 years.  Two teachers at my school who had completely used up their waivers were given another 2 years to get qualified just last week.

Edited by otherstuff1957
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, duanebigsby said:

I think you got your license in the nick of time. The courses are no longer offered to my knowledge and 3 waivers and you're out. Please correct me if I'm wrong

Yup. The Professional Knowledge Tests are not offered anymore. I think the last one was in 2012 and yes, the current rules state that you can't get more than 6 years in total of temporary teaching permits. Whether that equates to 3 temporary teaching permits is not clear.

Capture_30.jpg

http://site.ksp.or.th/about.php?site=license&SiteMenuID=221

Edited by aidenai

It's not up to the school to do your evaluations. Download the forms, solict the evaluations, get it all together with your documents and three weeks before request a letter from the director.

It's YOUR license bro.

Incidentally, the document states a maximum of six years. All the teachers crying about getting a verbal spanking at Khrusapa ignores the guideline. Within six years!

Edited by ozmeldo
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, ozmeldo said:

It's not up to the school to do your evaluations. Download the forms, solict the evaluations, get it all together with your documents and three weeks before request a letter from the director.

It's YOUR license bro.

Incidentally, the document states a maximum of six years. All the teachers crying about getting a verbal spanking at Khrusapa ignores the guideline. Within six years!

Yes, I prepared all the required papers and documents required, I also made copies of the papers the school needed to provide for my license. It took my school 3 days to make me the required documents. I did all the clerical work, so my boss only had to fill in the paperwork.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2018 at 10:11 AM, otherstuff1957 said:

^ The tests are no longer offered, but if you enroll in an MEd or PGCEi or DipEd course and show the TCT a letter from that school confirming that you are enrolled, they will give you another 2 years.  Two teachers at my school who had completely used up their waivers were given another 2 years to get qualified just last week.

Where can you do the DipEd.

Do you need to have a degree to do it? 

20 minutes ago, greenchair said:

Where can you do the DipEd.

Do you need to have a degree to do it? 

In another thread this was reported.

I know of at least 4 local options that are accepted by the TCT:

St. Roberts/Ifugao/PCU

St. Theresa

Framingham

Nottingham

Yes, you need to hold a university degree to enrol. It's a requirement of the course provider. Besides this, it's a requirement of the TCT for the teacher license.

Capture_55.jpg

12 hours ago, aidenai said:

In another thread this was reported.

Yes, you need to hold a university degree to enrol. It's a requirement of the course provider. Besides this, it's a requirement of the TCT for the teacher license.

Capture_55.jpg

For 40000 baht a month. 

That's hilarious. 

If I had a degree in sweeping the floor or any other topic , i wouldn't work for 40000 baht a month. 

On 3/31/2018 at 8:07 PM, greenchair said:

For 40000 baht a month. 

That's hilarious. 

If I had a degree in sweeping the floor or any other topic , i wouldn't work for 40000 baht a month. 

This is about the median teacher's salary no?

Edited by Number 6

29 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

This is about the median teacher's salary no?

30,000 to 40,000 is the standard salary at 90 percent of all schools in Thailand. 

A high salary is around 50,000 paid at a few. In very rare cases 60,000 is paid , usually at low level international schools .The high salary is paid by 4 or 5 thai schools and a few bilingual schools. Most international schools pay the same as above. It is the standard. And for a person with 4 year degree + a pgce it is pathetic. There are a handful of international schools that pay a salary equal to home salaries and benefits. Anywhere between 90,000 to 150,000 per month, with a ticket home once a year, full holiday pay + bonus.

( I could count them on 2 hands )

For that you need a proper education degree, worked in your country for 1 year, native speaker. In fact, a native speakers salary is on par with a Thai teacher with 10 years experience salary. 

Hence the need for philipinoe teachers nowadays. The schools cannot get qualified native speakers for that salary.