Land Transport Dept to require transport companies to hire safety managers

webfact

Land Transport Dept to require transport companies to hire safety managers

PNSOC610326001004901.jpg

BANGKOK, 27 March 2018 (NNT) - The Department of Land Transport (DLT) will ban double-decker buses from certain routes due to safety concerns and is requiring all transport companies to hire safety managers by June this year. 

Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith was speaking after a seminar on transport safety managers, saying that the DLT will advise all transport companies throughout the boarding process.

Transport safety managers will inspect vehicle readiness before departure, plan travel routes, manage emergencies, and monitor vehicles with GPS tracking. Officials are also working on a safety manual for standardized compliance.

The safety managers will focus on the safety of around 5,000 double-decker buses nationwide. The DLT will also ban the buses from certain routes due to safety concerns. 

As for safety measures during the Songkran holidays, Arkhom said the number of public transportation vehicles will be increased by 5-10 percent on same period last year. Officials have been told to strictly screen the qualifications of drivers and their blood alcohol levels before departure, as well as the readiness of their vehicles.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-03-27
  • Haha 1

IF they are serious and IF they give this body some real teeth, some actual good may come of it. I COMPLETELY understand the sentiment of the previous poster markaoffy. We've seen this play a hundred times before, but maybe we've passed the horizon of complacency with too many deaths and too many complaints. After all, the hiso people are just as "at risk" on the roads as us peasants . . .

18 minutes ago, webfact said:

"Officials have been told to strictly screen the qualifications of drivers and their blood alcohol levels before departure, as well as the readiness of their vehicles."

How will they be doing that then? Will all drivers be subject to a breath test, for example, immediately before starting their journey?

I'm all for it, but I'd imagine it will be a logists nightmare to impliment.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, webfact said:

The safety managers will focus on the safety of around 5,000 double-decker buses nationwide. The DLT will also ban the buses from certain routes due to safety concerns. 

Last week they were banning all double decker busses. This week it is only on certain routes. Next week????

• Like 1

Jobs for the boys.

If the sh"t hits the fan, they all will run away.

and start finger pointing away from themselves.

Thai Safety Managers in Thailand. What a joke :coffee1:

Wait,  I got it all wrong,   maybe there real job, 

will to hand out different grade safety Amulets.

Edited by stanleycoin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Safety officers trained where....nowhere in Thailand could they gain the training needed.....my guess would be a ghost officer or a relative and as always, with little or no effect at all.

Safety officer.."Somchai to boss....we need to upgrade the brakes on bus 42...boss to Somchai..not now, the driver said they're working good"

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CGW said:

Contrary to majority opinion here, there are some very good Thai safety managers that are un-corrupted, mainly working for multi-national companies, I will pretty much guarantee non will end up working on this "project"!

yes that is correct, but as you said almost a moot point in to relation as who will be employed, which will pretty much be the guy that sweeps the roads and all he will be given is a badge and a clip board and tick every truck that can actually get out the front gate on its own steam...checked and passed..and be given a new broom for his trouble...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CGW said:

Contrary to majority opinion here, there are some very good Thai safety managers that are un-corrupted, mainly working for multi-national companies, I will pretty much guarantee non will end up working on this "project"!

Thats interesting to hear, is their advice taken and implemented?

And the 'safety managers' will have verifiable suitable qualifications for the job and be licenced by the kingdom? What will their authority/responsibility be in the event of 'non-compliance'? Responsible to whom?

Or is this just another TIT "joke"?

5aba232f612d3_flyingpig.jpg.e95ede0db8f8513bf238d590bfeb5bac.jpg

4 hours ago, kannot said:

Thats interesting to hear, is their advice taken and implemented?

I was dating a lady working as one for a Japanese company, they loved her and she was paid around 85k a mth...

Shame she had a spoiled 3 yr old girl a 5 yr old autistic son and an ex that most likely would have made trouble. Such is life.

7 minutes ago, essox essox said:

there should already  be TRANSPORT INSPECTORS not transport managers 

im geussing there is, at the weigh stations  and they must be weighed down by all the loot they collect looking the other way.

you would think it is up to the companies to have safe working practices in accordance with the law, ---  if they havent they should be prosecuted accordingly

i see plenty of workers on building sites wearing FLIP FLOPS  where are the heath and safety inspectors there

thailand has no health and safety -- if it did it would not let school children ride motorbikes 2±up and no helmets

• Like 1