Whistleblower questions Brexit result, says campaigners broke election law

webfact

Just now, Walter Travolta said:

Why is it strange? I use social media but it doesnt influence any of my political decisions or life choices. If this is how social media runs your life then I suggest you are the one being duped, or duping yourself. Look in the mirror before analysing others

Everything you see or read will influence your decisions, wilfully or not.

Try to remember that few decades ago some advertisers like coca cola, used the now forbidden practice where they would insert a a few frames of coke in a movie scene, something actually not realisable by the person watching the movie, but it would influence their decision to get a coke at that point in time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, janclaes47 said:

Everything you see or read will influence your decisions, wilfully or not.

Try to remember that few decades ago some advertisers like coca cola, used the now forbidden practice where they would insert a a few frames of coke in a movie scene, something actually not realisable by the person watching the movie, but it would influence their decision to get a coke at that point in time.

Not me. I dont even like coke. Like I said, if you are easily led then that is up to you. I buy things that I know I like, NOT because some ad tells me to. Obviously I have more will power than you. Very little I see or read influences me. Real life influences me. Not someone telling me something or advising me about something.

My son was 20 and at university when the referendum was upon us. He asked me which way to vote. I explained to him he is now a man and needs to make decisions like this for his own benefit not mine. He read BOTH manifestos (which is more than I did, which I hope goes to show I make my own mind up, not influenced) and decided to vote the way he he did. Thats how life should work. education NOT control

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Walter Travolta said:

Not me. I dont even like coke. Like I said, if you are easily led then that is up to you. I buy things that I know I like, NOT because some ad tells me to.

You miss the point. The ad wasn't visible to the human eye, and has been proven to be effective, and that's also why it is now forbidden.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, janclaes47 said:

You miss the point. The ad wasn't visible to the human eye, and has been proven to be effective, and that's also why it is now forbidden.

If that is your point (an ad from decades ago influencing people to buy a tin of pop) then I will leave this conversation now. Have a good day

3 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Was subliminal advertising banned before the EU referendum?

Just now, vogie said:

Was subliminal advertising banned before the EU referendum?

I guess so yes, but it shows that your consciousness can be influenced without you even realising it, so saying I'm not influenced by what i read on social media is pretty ignorant.

Just now, janclaes47 said:

Enjoy your ignorant life.

Me? Ignorant? Hahaha you're the one taking the subject way off topic!! What has the results of the referendum for Brexit got to do with a can of coke? 

Dry your eyes mate, Brexit might just be good. Then you can jump on the bandwagon and pretend its what you wanted all along like a typical snowflake

• Like 2

Just now, janclaes47 said:

I guess so yes, but it shows that your consciousness can be influenced without you even realising it, so saying I'm not influenced by what i read on social media is pretty ignorant.

Why is saying "Im not influenced by social media" ignorant?? Just because my thought process is different to yours Im ignorant? Get a life. Thats the problem with you flakes, if people dont agree with you they are racist or stupid or ignorant or wrong etc etc etc

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oilinki said:

Which party did you vote for on brexit referendum? 

Why do have the need to know?

As a Finnish national you had and still have no input or vote on Brexit.

Edited by billd766
added extra text
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

Why is saying "Im not influenced by social media" ignorant?? Just because my thought process is different to yours Im ignorant? Get a life. Thats the problem with you flakes, if people dont agree with you they are racist or stupid or ignorant or wrong etc etc etc

That is the problem with many remainers on this topic.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Why do have the need to know?

The member said that he always votes for the party on elections as an example how his or hers vote can not be influenced.  That's why I asked which party did he vote for on Brexit vote.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43558876

""Christopher Wylie was a part-time contractor who left in July 2014 and has no direct knowledge of our work or practices since that date," Cambridge Analytica said in a statement."

"During Tuesday's hearing, Mr Wylie was challenged over leaked e-mails suggesting he made an unsuccessful pitch for work with Vote Leave following his departure from Cambridge Analytica.

"You tried to set up in business as a type of CA, hawking your wares to Vote Leave and they said no, and now you are here in front of the committee, making suggestions about Brexit," said Tory MP Julian Knight."

Edited by Khun Han
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, oilinki said:

The member said that he always votes for the party on elections as an example how his or hers vote can not be influenced.  That's why I asked which party did he vote for on Brexit vote.

Check on the difference between a general election and a referendum.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Walter Travolta said:

Stevenl do you not see what is obvious in your comment? 

"You really show you have no idea how people are influenced" no-one is arguing that social media are trying to influence people. What I am saying is if people are that easily influenced, then they only have themselves to blame by being conned, not influenced, conned. 

These people are the ones who are scared of not being taken care of, the kind of people who need looking after for some reason. Even as adults?! That is why they want to remain. They need controlling and looking after and they think if we leave, something terrible is imminent. Absolute nonsense.

Seriously if ant remainers are reading and this and are scared of what lies ahead, message me with your concerns and I will gladly put your mind at rest. Kind of like an online psychologist 

Its the gullible ones who are influenced, not the bright ones. If bright people were gullible, they would not be bright, in effect

Everybody is influenced.

Smart people realise that, ignorant think they are not being influenced.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Everybody is influenced.

If you rely totally on the social media then there is that possibility of being influenced.

If you don't rely on it and check facts and stories elsewhere then you probably won't be influenced.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, billd766 said:

If you rely totally on the social media then there is that possibility of being influenced.

If you don't rely on it and check facts and stories elsewhere then you probably won't be influenced.

You don't even realise how you are being influenced.

5 hours ago, overherebc said:

Check on the difference between a general election and a referendum.

Indeed. Now you are getting a bit closer.

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

Everybody is influenced.

"Everybody is influenced."

I agree with this - but it's down to the individual as to whether or not they allow common sense to intervene when reading media....

Sadly, even the intelligent can fall prey to taking something they've read/heard as 'gospel' - if it suits their prejudices :sad:

23 hours ago, Basil B said:

It was far from being democratic...

Lies, deceit, and breaking the law with undeclared payments... sorry but we have gone too far to change the result, but there are many who should be prosecuted for there actions.

"but there are many who should be prosecuted for there actions."

George Osborne at the top of the list??

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Indeed. Now you are getting a bit closer.

Don't understand your post.

A general election selects which party forms the government.

A referendum is undertaken to find out what percentage of the population are in favour of/or not for instance a law to be proposed or on a subject like the death penalty etc.

As twitter, tweet and faeces book in my mind are really for younger people and children I've never had any interest in them, well, except to comment about them here and in company. I have upset some people in company when they start taking photos and I ask, do you post those on faeces book? If they say yes I always say leave me out of it, I don't want anything to do with it.

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 5:06 AM, nev said:

Just because the vote did not go the way that was planned does not mean the remainder's can demand another vote, would the remainers be demanding another vote if the vote was to stay I don't think so.

This is questioning whether the rules were broken, not a plea from remainers for a second referendum .  We have all moved on from that.  As a remainer I am not calling for second referendum at all.  It would just create more conflict and as before we would all be voting on an inconclusive result.  We still do not know what deal will be struck.

A vote (not a second referendum) once all the cards are on the table would be a good idea to give both sides the opportunity to decide whether the Brexit we are getting is the Brexit that we are prepared to accept.  Then two other options, either throw it out and leave without any deals or scrap Brexit completely.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Walter Travolta said:

Stevenl do you not see what is obvious in your comment? 

"You really show you have no idea how people are influenced" no-one is arguing that social media are trying to influence people. What I am saying is if people are that easily influenced, then they only have themselves to blame by being conned, not influenced, conned. 

These people are the ones who are scared of not being taken care of, the kind of people who need looking after for some reason. Even as adults?! That is why they want to remain. They need controlling and looking after and they think if we leave, something terrible is imminent. Absolute nonsense.

Seriously if ant remainers are reading and this and are scared of what lies ahead, message me with your concerns and I will gladly put your mind at rest. Kind of like an online psychologist 

Its the gullible ones who are influenced, not the bright ones. If bright people were gullible, they would not be bright, in effect

It has nothing to do with gullibility and everything to do with something we all possessed of, our psychological make-up.

The condensed version is:

Data is extracted from social media, specifically records of your interactions with news items and events reported on social media ( these items in themselves may have been created and posted to garner responses for analysis).

If, by example, your responses indicate you are positively receptive to issues relating to environmental protection, political messages are then wrapped up in environmental news and directed at your social network feed. The political message gains purchase with you because it is attached to an issue (the environment) for which you already exhibit an emotional response. 

Likewise political messages are wrapped up with race issues for people who strongly respond to race related news.

You'll find examples of people here on TVF who exhibit strong emotional responses to environmental issues, and you'll certainly find people on TVF who exhibit strong emotional responses to issues relating to race.

These people are not gullible, but they, like all of us, subject to confirmation bias and they are, like all of us, very susceptible to taking on board a message that is wrapped up in arguments or points of view they have already accepted. If those points of view or arguments are also emotive then the purchase of the message in the mind of the recipient is equally emotive.

Not gullible, psychology and messages directed by psychology.

• Like 2