Any more baggage thefts and contracts will be scrapped, says AOT

webfact

12 hours ago, moe666 said:

I do not know how I do it 20 years coming and going and now live here never anything stolen from my bags. But of course I do not check money or other valuables. I also do not travel with valuables hanging off of my body

Me too, with one exception: customs at Chiang Mai airport, when I arrived on a domestic flight from Bangkok. They did it very skillfully. They picked up one "innocent" item from my bag. Then several officers surrounded me (blocking my view of my bag) and started interrogating me about it. Meanwhile several other officers rifled through my bag and made off with about a dozen watches which I had bought that afternoon in a mall in Bangkok. They were very beautiful watches that are widely available in many malls in Bangkok. I only found out after I arrived home. The price of the watches? Less than B 100 per piece. So, it was not the money but the audacity that hurt. Also, they did not know whether I was a resident or a tourist. Meaning, tourists may also fall prey to this special attention...      

12 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

I’ve got a similar mesh that wraps around my back pack.

True it isn't 100%. 

However it would take an extremely determined thief a fair while to cut through the mesh. 

For security when travelling, it’s as good as it gets, short of watching your backpack 24/7. 

Bluespunk, where do you buy this kind of mesh covers? I have never seen one. Are they specifically made for suitcases? Would appreciate your answer. Thank you.

6 hours ago, peergin said:

Bluespunk, where do you buy this kind of mesh covers? I have never seen one. Are they specifically made for suitcases? Would appreciate your answer. Thank you.

Got mine in U.K. last summer. Not sure they’ll work on suitcases, designed for backpacks. Could try though. 

https://www.pacsafe.com/accessories/backpack-protectors/

Edited by Bluespunk

On 3/27/2018 at 3:53 PM, wvavin said:

There you are. Only the tourists got hurt. Baggage handlers are still there with the same staffs. Nothing would change in this corrupted country.

I think you will find there are baggage thieves all around the world, I recall Athens was notorious for many years,

Many years ago they had a big problem in Australia with the then Domestic carrier TAA.

An organized group of baggage handlers based in Sydney was stealing from luggage and was spotted by one of the engineers

After the installation of covert cameras they were caught charged and sacked

From memory their union the TWU challenged the dismissals all the way to the High Court.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, StevieAus said:

I think you will find there are baggage thieves all around the world, I recall Athens was notorious for many years,

Many years ago they had a big problem in Australia with the then Domestic carrier TAA.

An organized group of baggage handlers based in Sydney was stealing from luggage and was spotted by one of the engineers

After the installation of covert cameras they were caught charged and sacked

From memory their union the TWU challenged the dismissals all the way to the High Court.

And Frankfurt...

What are they stealing? Oversized shirts, socks, undies and shorts. Do they sell 2nd hand clothes at markets to other tourists hoping the owners go to different ones?

Who leaves valuables in checked luggage?

Humans are strange.

On 27/03/2018 at 5:48 PM, HooHaa said:

ah, yes the battery issue.

thankfully its not likely considered an easily disposable item by theives. nor is it easily gotten out of the airport like cash or jewelery

Sensible travellers don't put jewelery or cash into check in luggage.

41 minutes ago, peergin said:

And Frankfurt...

And LHR... From Oxford English Dictionary:

Definition of Thiefrow in English:

Thiefrow

NOUN

• A nickname for Heathrow Airport, London, with allusion to its reputation for lax security, luggage theft, etc.

Origin

1970s; earliest use found in The Sunday Mail.

On 3/27/2018 at 11:49 AM, Chelseafan said:

Nothing a good knife won't open....

Yes, but do you think you would get past security with a good knife on body or in locker luggage!

To clarify this was mainly in response to Thian's post about about pilfering from baggage in locker.

Edited by maxcorrigan
correction

On 28/3/2561 at 2:50 AM, peergin said:

Me too, with one exception: customs at Chiang Mai airport, when I arrived on a domestic flight from Bangkok. They did it very skillfully. They picked up one "innocent" item from my bag. Then several officers surrounded me (blocking my view of my bag) and started interrogating me about it. Meanwhile several other officers rifled through my bag and made off with about a dozen watches which I had bought that afternoon in a mall in Bangkok. They were very beautiful watches that are widely available in many malls in Bangkok. I only found out after I arrived home. The price of the watches? Less than B 100 per piece. So, it was not the money but the audacity that hurt. Also, they did not know whether I was a resident or a tourist. Meaning, tourists may also fall prey to this special attention...      

Another one, a few months back checking in at Don Muang to fly to Chiang Mai, I had perhaps 15,000Baht in cash in my wallet, so I took all the cash from my wallet and put it deep in my pants pocket well before I got near the X ray check.

I had read about this tactic just a few days earlier.

I put the empty wallet and my phone under my notebook computer in the blue tray. Security check boy took wallet and phone out and put them on top of the notebook. I intervened and changed them back to being under the notebook computer.

Boy intervened and tried to change them back to being on top, I intervened and put them under the notebook and quickly pushed the tray into the machine.

Boy tried to tell his supervisor, I intervened and said basically, in Thai, 'don't touch my belongings'.

Boy got called around to speak to the supervisor and got a right roasting.

After clearing the X ray machine check I held  my wallet up, open, to show all concerned there was no money in the wallet. 

Overheard one security girl saying 'farang dingdong' (foreigner is crazy).

15 minutes ago, blackcab said:

What do people think about getting your bag wrapped in plastic for 100 baht?

Is that going to deter a thief as they would also have to cut the plastic off before chopping the lock open.

They make me laugh. Usually old women who watch too much current affairs on tv do that. 

7 hours ago, Justfine said:

Sensible travellers don't put jewelery or cash into check in luggage.

Wow, justfine, you have an exceedingly firm grasp of the obvious.

Thanks for pointing that out.

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

Another one, a few months back checking in at Don Muang to fly to Chiang Mai, I had perhaps 15,000Baht in cash in my wallet, so I took all the cash from my wallet and put it deep in my pants pocket well before I got near the X ray check.

I had read about this tactic just a few days earlier.

I put the empty wallet and my phone under my notebook computer in the blue tray. Security check boy took wallet and phone out and put them on top of the notebook. I intervened and changed them back to being under the notebook computer.

Boy intervened and tried to change them back to being on top, I intervened and put them under the notebook and quickly pushed the tray into the machine.

Boy tried to tell his supervisor, I intervened and said basically, in Thai, 'don't touch my belongings'.

Boy got called around to speak to the supervisor and got a right roasting.

After clearing the X ray machine check I held  my wallet up, open, to show all concerned there was no money in the wallet. 

Overheard one security girl saying 'farang dingdong' (foreigner is crazy).

I agree with them. You were being an asshat.

Edited by HooHaa

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

And there are other possibilities, maybe 2 years back a friend arrived back in Thailand at swampy, went through immigration then headed for bag carousel, got instantly confronted by taxi drivers (right at the carousel) demanding that he use their taxi services.

Friend asked the Thai inter staff on duty if taxi drivers are allowed in this area (they could have easily taken a few bags). Response from Thai lady 'mai pben rai' never mind. 

They should have the system operating at all (or at least most) Japanese airports (and luggage on and off many bus services), you claim your bag and take it to an inspector who you cannot get past until you show your copy of the bag check-in given at the departing airport.

If the number matches the number on the tag on the bag then away you go, no match your taken aside for further checking. Good system and typical Japanese system, almost impossible to slip past the check.

Oh good, we have moved from transporting a drone in checked luggage, to luggage theft scams the world over with an emphasis on thai criminal ingeneuity, only to end up at the great Thai taxi ripoff. 

Countdown to kingpower are bastards has begun.

• Haha 1