Two Major Thai Banks Drop Internet Transfer Fees

webfact

4 hours ago, shady86 said:
4 hours ago, hansnl said:
How about the 220 baht "fee" for using your farang atm-card?
Silly question, I know, farang are there to get money from.

Farangs can always bring in cash and change at money changers which offer good rates. Atm fee for withdrawal with overseas credit or debit card is quite common not only in Thailand but everywhere in the world.

That will not help the retired foreigners here.

Furthermore it's not quite smart to bring your complete holiday budget in cash (especially if traveling with more family members), which can get lost or stolen!

I receive my salary in baht, so no problem for the atm fee.

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I think we're talking two different things here.

The poster that I replied to wrote about "ATM fee" which has nothing to do with the topic here and been done to death.

Then yes, that's a different thing.

Edited by KhunBENQ

6 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

The poster that I replied to wrote about "ATM fee" which has nothing to do with the topic here and been done to death.

Then yes, that's a different thing.

No he wrote, and you replied, to this:

5abca5589a525_2018-03-2915_33_58.jpg.2840ba20f97ac5b39e4ad6d6d53b5213.jpg

The ANNUAL fees often are 200 baht per year -- apart from the 220b PER WITHDRAWAL foreign ATM fee.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Zero...zilch...nada...nothing.

Credit Union in the States 

Hmm, looks like we are getting screwed in the Netherlands with a couple euros per month for just basic banking :sad:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cheops said:

Hmm, looks like we are getting screwed in the Netherlands with a couple euros per month for just basic banking :sad:

US credit unions are great. Mine gives members free everything...free ATM & debit card w/free withdrawals and even free checks. Best loan rates. Only $5 minimum required balance. 

Also CapitalOne online banking is free. No minimums. Free ATM/debit card and free withdrawals. They do charge a nominal fee for paper checks...but they offer an electronic check option where customer writes the check online and they actually post a paper check for the amount from your account...AND they pay the postage!

Ironically...CapitalOne bought ING Orange Online Banking in The States, whom originally offered all these great benefits to customers. The irony being ING is a Dutch company and Cap1 just adopted the same great service ING provided.  

Edited by Skeptic7

9 hours ago, hansnl said:

How about the 220 baht "fee" for using your farang atm-card?

Silly question, I know, farang are there to get money from.

Better chance of that going up, to make up for the loss of revenue  due to removing domestic inter-bank transfer fees!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cheops said:

How much does banking in your home country cost? 200 baht per year is quite low imo!

Does your home country bank charge you for their ATM/Debit card, and an annual fee to use it. 

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

No he wrote, and you replied, to this:

You are right, time for new glasses. Overlooked the "annual".

About bank fees in other countries.

I can only report about Germany.

In the past (until one or two years ago) there were a couple of banks that offered free current account.

But this has degraded much now.

If it's "free" then it is mostly bound to certain conditions, typically minimum monthly incoming payments.

Otherwise about 6 Euro monthly fee would be typical.

6*12 = 72, 72*38 ~ 2700 Baht.

So the price of 200/400 for a basic deposit account does not look expensive to me.

But indeed in Germany there an ATM cash group of the biggest banks that allow free use of any affiliated ATM nationwide.

This out of province fee even within the same bank in Thailand (some "telex fee" :sleep:) is archaic.

Edited by KhunBENQ

36 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Does your home country bank charge you for their ATM/Debit card, and an annual fee to use it. 

Yes, in the Netherlands all banks (as far as I know) charge. But not specifically for an atm card. Just a fee for all combined banking services. Transferring from an euro account to any euro account within Europe is free though. I just maintain a basic account which already costs a few euro per month. Compared to that, 200 baht as yearly fee is ok with me. But of course they should get rid of the ridiculous inter provincial fees. This is a good step in the right direction. 

On 3/28/2018 at 3:46 PM, shady86 said:

How about waiving annual 200B Atm fees?

1 hour ago, IamRoach said:

TMB bank hasn't had any fees for atm withdrawals and bank transfers nationwide for at least several years now.

I think TMB must be the most reasonable bank in Thailand. They also have a debit card ("ATM Lite") that's 200 baht for 5 years, no annual fee!

11 hours ago, Silurian said:

About time, hopefully all the other major Thai banks will follow suit. I never understood why banks charged a fee for digital/internet monetary bank transfer.

Transfers were already practically free with PromptPay, which the banks introduced more than a year ago. In most banks it's free for up to 5K, 2 baht for up to 30K, 5 baht for up to 100K, and 10 baht for anything over. However, if you want to save on these, err, hefty fees, you're free to transfer 5K as many times as you like, and pay nothing. Some banks, like TMB, realizing the stupidity of the system I suppose, make all PromptPay transfers free regardless of the amount.

• Like 1

Many people forgot that a bank is for make money and benefits.

So i'm not surprised of the fees.

Here if you change "jangwat" , even is the same bank have to pay fee for withdraw at atm. :passifier:

I can  imagine how many millions they win just with this.

Insurance and banks ! They loan you money only if you have or fill the conditions even you can starve in front of their agency. They are not charities.

19 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Most UK banks are all pretty much free, including cards and domestic transfers.

They hit you in the goolies if you accidentally overdraw or ask for any extra statement or block something though... 

I think many go years and years without incurring any charges.....

They charge a bit on over-drafts though....

Overall though I am quite pleased with the service etc with my Thai bank.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Most UK banks are all pretty much free, including cards and domestic transfers.

They hit you in the goolies if you accidentally overdraw or ask for any extra statement or block something though... 

I think many go years and years without incurring any charges.....

They charge a bit on over-drafts though....

Overall though I am quite pleased with the service etc with my Thai bank.

The two Thai banks I use do fine for routine things.  Money in, money out generally not a problem. 

Otherwise I dread having to deal with either of them in person.  8/10 times for me over the years, anything remotely non-routine but still "normal" for a bank, turns into a brain numbing ride through the Twilight Zone. 

• Like 1

On 3/28/2018 at 4:15 PM, KhunBENQ said:

And it works :smile:

Just did a test from SCB (Khon Kaen) to Kasikorn (Pattaya).

SCB calls it "Real time".

Possible to:

Bangkok Bank

Kasikorn Bank ("K-Bank")

Krungthai Bank ("KTB")

Bank of Ayudhaya ("Krungsri")

Thanachart Bank

TMB Bank

United Overseas Bank ("UOB")

Standard Chartered Bank (Thai)

CIMB THAI

LH Bank

Government Saving Bank ("GSB")

Kiatnakin Bank

Tisco Bank

Bank for Agricultural and Agricultural Co-operatives ("BAAC")

is there a monthly limit, or unlimited 3rd party bank transfers?

I know that if you go to ATM within same region, but different bank, withdrawals are is free for the first 3.  Then they charge 10 baht.

3 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

is there a monthly limit, or unlimited 3rd party bank transfers?

I know that if you go to ATM within same region, but different bank, withdrawals are is free for the first 3.  Then they charge 10 baht.

So far I have not seen a word about a limit for the number of internet transfers.

Also there is also no word about changes in ATM withdrawals.

Let's hope that another round of price cuts will happen regarding this.

What I am not sure: are transfers from own account via the ATM free?

In the UK, all banks by LAW have to provide a free basic account. There are added value accounts as well which either require a fee or minimum inwards transfers. But they also often pay decent interest or PAY YOU every month. I have not paid a fee for anything bank related for years except international use. Of course debit cards and credit cards are usually free as well. Some international transactions can also be free-ish (foreign purchases on cards, sometimes ATM withdrawals, but not ATM fees). Thai banks are about 30 years behind the times.