Tourists can't just come and do as they please, says Thai media

webfact

20 minutes ago, Get Real said:

The whole and all. If you choose to stay in or visit a country you must be able to live the life espected during your stay. If I am wrong, then you are free you advice me about the different thought that might concern your mind.

So we can never complain when the Thai scam us or bring our lives in danger? Or when we can't read their selfmade signs which tell we can't sit on the ledge? Or when we can't read the trafficsigns written ONLY in thai script? Or when we refuse to wai or drink whisky at 10 am during a wedding?

And we have to support the whole family who doesn't want to work themselves? And we have to let underage kids our motocy if they want that? I can go on for hours like this, should i call a taxi to Swampy now?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Thian said:

So we can never complain when the Thai scam us or bring our lives in danger? Or when we can't read their selfmade signs which tell we can't sit on the ledge? Or when we can't read the trafficsigns written ONLY in thai script? Or when we refuse to wai or drink whisky at 10 am during a wedding?

And we have to support the whole family who doesn't want to work themselves? And we have to let underage kids our motocy if they want that? I can go on for hours like this, should i call a taxi to Swampy now?

No, please don´t go home! If you have all theese kind of problems, at least some of them must be self-inflicted. Wouldn´t you say? Why don´t stay for a while and sort them out. :smile:

By the way, are you sure you know that you are in Thailand?

Edited by Get Real

1 minute ago, Get Real said:

No, please don´t go home! If you have all theese kind of problems, at least some of them must be self-inflicted. Wouldn´t you say? Why don´t stay for a while and sort them out. :smile:

No i wouldn't think i caused those issues myself. I don't like scammers or people who think they entitled to tell others what to do.

8 minutes ago, Thian said:

No i wouldn't think i caused those issues myself. I don't like scammers or people who think they entitled to tell others what to do.

So, in reality that would make you an opponent to democracy too. You are aware of that even an elected government tells people what to do and not can do? Right?

That comment just put you in the same place like so many else. You can´t accept rules, laws and culture or mores of the county you visit or reside in. That´s not the right way.

Edited by Get Real

Just now, Get Real said:

So, in reality that would make you an opponent to democracy too. You are aware of that even an elected government tells people what to do and not can do? Right?

Yup, but sure not you matey :whistling::post-4641-1156694572:

44 minutes ago, Get Real said:

The whole and all. If you choose to stay in or visit a country you must be able to live the life espected during your stay. If I am wrong, then you are free you advice me about the different thought that might concern your mind.

There are millions of Thais living on tourism, tourism is thriving because of the generally tolerant attitude of the Thais.

Do they expect the tourists to be perfect, all of them, all the time ?

Nope. Impossible.

If the Thais were as intolerant as you seem to be, there would be not many tourists visiting.

Then, who would pay the huge costs for the maintenance of Wat Phra Kaeo ? You ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Get Real said:

I guess that most people in this forum does not understand my view of things in Thailand. If so, that´s perfectly okey. If you want an explaination, please keep on reading.

I am going to try the best I can to make a resonable explaination about what I think. I also know that its not going to be viewed in a good way by everybody, but who can plaese the masses.

When you are going to a foreign country, it doesn´t matter what country it is, then you must be travelling with a positive attitude to their culture and social behaviour. As an example we can take the chinese people that everybody sat is so bad. Yeah, I am aware of their beviour on the streets with pooping and things like that. I am not at all impressed. That´s the wrong approach. Hoe ever, that does not generally express the chinese population.

I am also aware of that many people are hinding out in Thailand as it would be some jind of paradise for crime. So far it´s been goood but that is starting to fade. Everyday we hre about the great crimebuster Hakpal and his achievents that acually gone international. I can only say that I love this man. He´s working his ass of to get rid of the shit everywhere.

Then we come to the point in this news article. A simple thing like not coming to a foreign country without knowledge. That in this case concerns religion, which is much harder enforced in many other countries. Off course tourist can´t come to a country and expect to be accepted with the wrong attitude and the wrong behaviour. if that ain´t clear to you people posting in this forum, it is a really sad story. It beginns with understanding, and it develops into knowledge, and for the few sorry asses that can´t get a grip of that, I just want to say merry Song Kran and a really painful future of the year.

It would appear from your comments that you have indeed come to this country with little understanding or knowledge. How many Thai people do you think care at all about this particular case. Just a handful lunatics with nothing better to do.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Get Real said:

Misstake? Pathetic, yes! She should have know better, as well as her much beloved boyfriend that took the picture.

Making a mistake is not pathetic, however whining about something so trivial is indeed pathetic. How do you know her "beloved boyfriend" took the picture, not that it makes any difference at all.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

It would appear from your comments that you have indeed come to this country with little understanding or knowledge. How many Thai people do you think care at all about this particular case. Just a handful lunatics with nothing better to do.

Yeah, and you as a farang appearently. Does that put you in the box with all the other............ ???  Oh, yeah! You said it yourself.

The Serbs were wrong and deserved more than they got.

Justice in Thailand is a different question.

Thai behaviour abroad is not an excuse and they should be prosecuted with the law of the land they are in.

Ignorance of the law is never an excuse.

However some (or most) Thai laws seem to differ depending on how much money you have, or which official you are talking to. 10 years in jail for a "grope" over Songkran? Which law does that come under?

The corrupt seem to have enough money to persuade all but the very few honest in the system to make any changes.

The reforms promised have not come about under the latest junta, and have not under "democratically elected" governments before.

The UK has had 400 years trying to make it work, with blood and guts spilled. Cromwell chopped off the King's head in 1649 and cancelled Christmas don't forget.

Yet the 2016 referendum result is still being disputed?

The status quo will continue until all Thais are better educated, and the generation following that might have to fight for it.

IMHO :violin:

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

8 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

The Serbs were wrong and deserved more than they got.

Justice in Thailand is a different question.

Thai behaviour abroad is not an excuse and they should be prosecuted with the law of the land they are in.

Ignorance of the law is never an excuse.

However some (or most) Thai laws seem to differ depending on how much money you have, or which official you are talking to. 10 years in jail for a "grope" over Songkran? Which law does that come under?

The corrupt seem to have enough money to persuade all but the very few honest in the system to make any changes.

The reforms promised have not come about under the latest junta, and have not under "democratically elected" governments before.

The UK has had 400 years trying to make it work, with blood and guts spilled, and the 2016 referendum result is still being disputed?

The status quo will continue until all Thais are better educated, and the generation following that might have to fight for it.

IMHO :violin:

What a joke. A tourists very long skirt rides up at a temple and now she's public enemy number one. And I love this: "The status quo will continue until all Thais are better educated"... If I had a thousand baht for every time I've heard a farang expat (or shall I say sexpat) refer tp Thais as stupid or uneducated by stupid uneducated, unworldly farang expats. I could have retired years ago. Many of the farang expats I've met in Thailand are living proof that travel doesn't necessarily broaden ones horizons.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

What a joke. A tourists very long skirt rides up at a temple and now she's public enemy number one. And I love this: "The status quo will continue until all Thais are better educated"... If I had a thousand baht for every time I've heard a farang expat (or shall I say sexpat) refer tp Thais as stupid or uneducated by stupid uneducated, unworldly farang expats. I could have retired years ago. Many of the farang expats I've met in Thailand are living proof that travel doesn't necessarily broaden ones horizons.

Well Steven. what makes you an expert?

Thailand has many very intelligent people, I have worked with lots of them, but mostly they are as despondent as I am about the future.

I said in an earlier post: "hang your jacket on the Basilica Alter cross" or set fire to The Koran and see what people have to say.

You must respect the culture of where you visit.

Next...

On 3/29/2018 at 8:25 AM, kannot said:

Oh you mean like walking on Yellowstone parks "KEEP OFF" areas, ok pal so inform your own  flock first.

So i must respect Thai ways?? ok so ...ok to throw  rubbish anywhere ( when no one is  looking or  looking round by me) Ok to drive  into oncoming traffic, Ok to overtake into oncoming traffic, ok to not wear a helmet....... so PLEASE , WHICH RULES exactly do and DO NOT  apply???????????? selective in the extreme 

The above are  "all Thai ways" and  YOU want me to "respect" them!!

If you need to ask the above questions you should not be here... 

• Like 2

On 3/29/2018 at 8:43 AM, akirasan said:

It's unfortunate to see that virtue signalling has found its way into the Thai media.

Expect to see a lot more stories of feigned moral outrage from 2-bit hacks who can't contain their own xenophobia and racism

Nah. When I came here 30 years ago I knew which kind of behavior was acceptable or unacceptable. Religion and the monarchy must be respected. If you don't know or can't accept this then do not come here. It's that simple. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/29/2018 at 10:02 AM, merlin2002 said:

In Lawless Thailand this news story is laughable. To quote the good book "let he who is without sin, cast the first stone"... :post-4641-1156693976:

The majority of Thais flout the law on a daily basis. They have zero regard for rules & regulations as they know they are not rigorously enforced by the police, and any infraction has minor consequences..

If it wasn't for tourism, Thailand would be less developed. How quickly they forget...

Thais do not violate temples. 

Well Steven. what makes you an expert?

Thailand has many very intelligent people, I have worked with lots of them, but mostly they are as despondent as I am about the future.

I said in an earlier post: "hang your jacket on the Basilica Alter cross" or set fire to The Koran and see what people have to say.

You must respect the culture of where you visit.

Next...

She didn't do any of those things. That's silly comparison. She wore a long skirt that rode up without her realizing. It's as plain as day. A simple honest mistake cannot in anyway be compared with setting a copy of the Quran on fire or hanging your jacket on the Basilica Alter cross. Those examples would both be deliberate acts. I haven't a clue why the incident even made the news, let alone why a bunch of farangs on TV would endorse the sad, pathetic creatures that actually took offense at such a trivial (and unintentional) thing. Totally sad. OMG, female tourist's skirt rides up accidentally at a temple... Hold the front page! And by the way, there is a big difference between "despondent" and uneducated.

2 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

She didn't do any of those things. That's silly comparison. She wore a long skirt that rode up without her realizing. It's as plain as day. A simple honest mistake cannot in anyway be compared with setting a copy of the Quran on fire or hanging your jacket on the Basilica Alter cross. Those examples would both be deliberate acts. I haven't a clue why the incident even made the news, let alone why a bunch of farangs on TV would endorse the sad, pathetic creatures that actually took offense at such a trivial (and unintentional) thing. Totally sad. OMG, female tourist's skirt rides up accidentally at a temple... Hold the front page! And by the way, there is a big difference between "despondent" and uneducated.

You need to study more about Thai culture.

The sort of outrage you can expect is equal to the perception of the action in the country you are in...

That is why the examples are apt.

Do you, or have you ever lived and worked in Thailand?

Ah...internet outrage;what a glorious thing and where would we be without it?

Have they not been fined ,disciplined and punished" and sent on their way?

Case closed.The Thais will get back to whatever they are doing and some foreigners will continue to splutter and proclaim how culturally sensitive they are.

Personally, I find intolerant Western Dualism to be a most miserable thing and I hope the Thai do not catch the attitude in its entirety..

Bring on the next spluttering outrage..it appears to give meaning to people's day.

Michel Foucault:'Discipline and Punish'-life in a Benthamite world.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Thanks 1

On 3/29/2018 at 11:35 AM, JOC said:

Time for your medication.......!!!

Remember....Thursday today.....5 yellow pills

I think it's a good idea.  Announcment: Please remember to conduct and yourself appropriately at places of worship just as you would do at home.  I think the problem could be 3 fold. #1 They never go to places of worship. #2 They behave poorly  at home in places of worship.  #3 They are self entitled and really don't care.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

I lived and worked in Bangkok for 11 years and speak, read and write Thai. I also lived in the Middle East for 10 years after a completing a BA in Arabic with Middle Eastern and Islamic studies, and so am fluent in Arabic. Prior to all that  - due to my parents' job - I have been an expat in various parts of the world since I was 6 years old. I barely know my birth country. As a result, I am very aware of cultural sensitivities in general. Your examples are not apt at all, in fact they are quite absurd.

There is a poster on 'the Farang Pub' thread-Gecko 123 who has written some good pieces on the ex-pat community in Thailand-for it is truly unique-and the urge to continually attack other contributors  usually on the basis of "cultural sensitivity"  and its fetish for disciplining and punishing others.

The ultimate fall back position being "If you don't like it here go home!".In short, please don't use your intelligence as it is rather unsettling..:smile:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Ah...internet outrage;what a glorious thing and where would we be without it?

Have they not been fined ,disciplined and punished" and sent on their way?

Case closed.The Thais will get back to whatever they are doing and some foreigners will continue to splutter and proclaim how culturally sensitive they are.

Personally, I find intolerant Western Dualism to be a most miserable thing and I hope the Thai do not catch the attitude in its entirety..

Bring on the next spluttering outrage..it appears to give meaning to people's day.

Michel Foucault:'Discipline and Punish'-life in a Benthamite world.

That's an opinion albeit a counterproductive one.  IMHO

27 minutes ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

You need to study more about Thai culture.

The sort of outrage you can expect is equal to the perception of the action in the country you are in...

That is why the examples are apt.

Do you, or have you ever lived and worked in Thailand?

Key phrase "they/she hasn't a clue."  Back home we call that clueless...

4 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

I lived and worked in Bangkok for 11 years and speak, read and write Thai. I also lived in the Middle East for 10 years after a completing a BA in Arabic with Middle Eastern and Islamic studies, and so am fluent in Arabic. Prior to all that  - due to my parents' job - I have been an expat in various parts of the world since I was 6 years old. I barely know my birth country. As a result, I am very aware of cultural sensitivities in general. Your examples are not apt at all, in fact they are quite absurd.

Well, an interesting life of multicultural experience.

It seems to have made you immune or unaware of how much some behaviour can upset the locals. Ah daddy took you and mummy to live in the compound.

If you were conversant with Thai culture you would understand the outrage.

I do and have been here far longer.

I'm sure you behaved in the Arabic countries for fear of devastating retribution however old you were.

The Serbs got off lightly in the end. I would have given then a 5 year ban on top.

A year in jail for a cigarette end on the beach?

Sorry, your argument doesn't stand up.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, joeyg said:

Key phrase "they/she hasn't a clue."  Back home we call that clueless...

Well Joey, if you'd read my earlier post, you'd see I don't have a "back home". I've been living abroad since was 6 years old and was therefore aware of different cultures from a very young age. By the time I was 10 I used to look at adult expats as a little "clueless". Because I was a kid I made friends with other local kids at whatever school I was attending in whatever country and picked up the language (kids heads are sponges in that respect), rather than the majority of adult expats who spent most of their time hanging out with other expats in their boring little expat enclaves discussing the locals (often in a negative way) as though they actually knew something about them. What is it with western expats, particularly in Thailand, that think they know more than others about "Thai culture" than other expats?  Most of them have never lived abroad before, then they come to Thailand to live for the first time and all of sudden they're experts on the place. A little anecdote for you to illustrate my contempt for the this mentality,  About 5 years ago I was in the cinema in Paragon trying to kill an afternoon, and as usual the king's anthem came on which was everyone's cue to stand up. I was slow getting up because I had a sprained ankle at the time. There was a farang male with what looked like his Thai rent-a-girl-friend, who thought that because I was slow standing up that I wasn't going to, and so the guy (he was British) told me to stand up asap "because of the culture mate, in'it". I told him to mind his own (deleted) <deleted> business and lowered myself down again and sat through the whole anthem. All the while he was standing their behind me huffing, puffing and tutting. The funny thing is his g/f was chuckling the whole time.

• Thanks 1

Well, an interesting life of multicultural experience.

It seems to have made you immune or unaware of how much some behaviour can upset the locals. Ah daddy took you and mummy to live in the compound.

If you were conversant with Thai culture you would understand the outrage.

I do and have been here far longer.

I'm sure you behaved in the Arabic countries for fear of devastating retribution however old you were.

The Serbs got off lightly in the end. I would have given then a 5 year ban on top.

A year in jail for a cigarette end on the beach?

Sorry, your argument doesn't stand up.

I didn't live in a compound, and it was actually my mother's job that first took us abroad. I did attend international schools but with local kids in attendance as well. The fact that you said I "need to study"ore about Thai culture speaks volumes about you. Your just another clueless, Western farang who came to live in Thailand (no doubt the first time you've ever actually lived abroad) and are under the delusion that you actually know a thing or two. I've got news for you, you don't. I laugh at people like you and have dome since I was about 10. For elaboration see my last comment. A 5 year ban?  How bloody stupid. Even the Thai friends I have in Bangkok thought the whole thing was an embarrassment and a complete over reaction. They too laugh at western expats like you.