Installing office 365 to device with a copy version of office 2013 currently installed

fineleg

Hi, I have recently taken out the office 365 personal subscription, partly because of the benefits of the 1TB of storage on OneDrive. I am about to install the office suite onto my Dell laptop. I bought the laptop from Advice in Thailand. The O/S is genuine windows 10, however  the laptop came with office 2013 (copy software). Am I likely to encounter any problems when installing office 365 as Microsoft will be able to detect that I previously had a copy of office 2013 installed? Thanks, in advance, for any advice. 

I doubt M'soft cares about that previous installation. Your post implies you've uninstalled Office 2013 anyway. If so then you surely won't have any issue w/ M'soft. If you haven't done a scan with Windows Defender it wouldn't hurt to do that and be sure it's happy.

You can run into problems running multiple versions of Office such as Office 365, Office 2007, Office 2013, etc.   You may experience intermittent problems or install problems....it can vary what issues you might experience.   Just for example, one link form the MS Support Office website:
Can’t switch from Office 365 to Office 2013 or Office 2016

A couple of years ago I was running Office 2007 and Office 365 on the same computer.   I did have a few minor and "intermittent" problems in the two conflicting with each other.  Just some strange little problems that occurred now and then.  After I uninstalled Office 2007 and Office 365 and reinstalled only Office 365 all problems gone.

After having Office 365 for one year I really didn't want to be paying an annual subscription fee which seems to roll around really fast...and I wanted an office suite later than Office 2007 since it was almost 10 years old....wanted the latest version which was Office 2016.  So, I bought three Office 2016 licenses off Ebay for about $12 each, installed the Office 2016 on my three laptops, and let my Office 365 subscription expire.  Been working and updating fine for well over a year on all three computers to include the one I'm writing this post on. 

Office 365 is nothing more than a repackaged "most current version of Office" which is currently Office 2016.   Like right now when I go to my Office 2016 menus under Updates to check on the latest update available (which I have) it takes you to an Office 365 page where it says (see snapshot below).   Notice it says it applies to Office 2016 as  Office 365 is nothing more than the latest office suite (which is currently Office 2016) repackaged as a subscription service.  And I'm running the latest 1803 version/build shown below.

Do yourself a favor and consider buying a 2016 license(s) off Ebay for around 10-15 US dollars....works fine...lasts a long time (like forever) and you will be saving yourself a lot of money each year...won't have an annual bill from MS to keep Office 365 working.  

And when the next Office suite comes out....maybe it will be called Office 2018 or 2019... and Office 365 transitions to that latest suite your Office 2016 will continue to update/work just fine except whatever "minor" enhancements in Office 2018/19 may not be implemented in Office 2016. 

For the non-power users of Office (i.e., the typical home/office user) the improvements/enhancements from version to version (like 2013 to 2016) have been really minor stuff that the typical home/office user probably didn't even notice or use (or understand).

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/what-s-new-in-office-365-95c8d81d-08ba-42c1-914f-bca4603e1426?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

image.png.1aa5ddf380026ae8aa6ba2f2ba6d4a35.png

• Like 1

I also bought MS Office 2016 Pro and a few keys for Office 365 and I prefer to use the 2016 Pro.

The only difference regarding Windows is that the 365 Office will always receive updates. But as already mentioned, my Office Pro is always up to date. Is it possible that you've got to manually check for updates when using the Pro version? 

I've just checked, clicked on update now and it's downloading the updates. 

And I'm using the 1 TB storage more as an emergency back up for important files.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/what-s-the-difference-between-office-365-and-office-2016-ed447ebf-6060-46f9-9e90-a239bd27eb96

Office 365 is a subscription service that ensures you always have the most up-to-date tools from Microsoft. There are Office 365 plans for home and personal use, as well as for small and midsized businesses, large enterprises, schools, and nonprofits.

Office 2016 is also sold as a one-time purchase, which means you pay a single, up-front cost to get Office applications for one computer. One-time purchases are available for both PCs (such as Office Home & Student 2016) and Macs (such as Office Home & Student 2016 for Mac). One-time purchases don’t have an upgrade option, which means if you plan to upgrade to the next major release, you'll have to buy it at full price.

P.S. MS has done some changes that seems to affect 2013 and 2016 MS Office Pro installations that are not genuine. It's not worth to run pirated copies if you can buy the real thing for a few baht. 

Bye bye to all the crack versions that are full of serious viruses. 

Edited by jenny2017

14 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

I also bought MS Office 2016 Pro and a few keys for Office 365 and I prefer to use the 2016 Pro.

The only difference regarding Windows is that the 365 Office will always receive updates. But as already mentioned, my Office Pro is always up to date. Is it possible that you've got to manually check for updates when using the Pro version? 

I've just checked, clicked on update now and it's downloading the updates. 

And I'm using the 1 TB storage more as an emergency back up for important files.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/what-s-the-difference-between-office-365-and-office-2016-ed447ebf-6060-46f9-9e90-a239bd27eb96

Office 365 is a subscription service that ensures you always have the most up-to-date tools from Microsoft. There are Office 365 plans for home and personal use, as well as for small and midsized businesses, large enterprises, schools, and nonprofits.

Office 2016 is also sold as a one-time purchase, which means you pay a single, up-front cost to get Office applications for one computer. One-time purchases are available for both PCs (such as Office Home & Student 2016) and Macs (such as Office Home & Student 2016 for Mac). One-time purchases don’t have an upgrade option, which means if you plan to upgrade to the next major release, you'll have to buy it at full price.

P.S. MS has done some changes that seems to affect 2013 and 2016 MS Office Pro installations that are not genuine. It's not worth to run pirated copies if you can buy the real thing for a few baht. 

Bye bye to all the crack versions that are full of serious viruses. 

Summary: Office 365 allows you to always use the newest version of office. Currently 2016 is the newest version so using one or the other is currently the same. When Microsoft releases a new version (i.e. Office 2018) then subscribers can (don't have to) update to 2018 without any extra charge.

Someone who bought 2016 (not 365) will not be about to update to the new version for free.

• Like 1

Most of the replies here have discounted this reason:

On 3/29/2018 at 7:14 PM, fineleg said:

I have recently taken out the office 365 personal subscription, partly because of the benefits of the 1TB of storage on OneDrive.

To the OP reference Office 365 and their pirate copy of Office 2013, delete the copy version and then download and install Office 365. You don't need both versions.

The only exception to this would depend on what copy version of 2013 was installed; if it included say, Project, and if you ever use it.

To anyone else thinking of installing Office 365 as a means to be legit, (either wanting to or having to) I would suggest looking at paying the extra $40 dollars a year or so subscription and go for the Office Home instead of Personal. The Office Home allows you to install Office 365 on up to 5 PC/notebooks with full legit updating and support for all those machines. Also allows for the same 1TB storage for the 5 users.

Average family of say husband, wife and two kids, all their confusers are covered by one licence (with one to spare). Even if you are single and use both PC and notebook, it still works out cheaper.

On 3/30/2018 at 5:33 PM, jenny2017 said:

jenny2017, can I ask why you prefer Office 2016 Pro over Office 365? More importantly, what differences do you see and in which program/module?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/31/2018 at 6:46 PM, chrisinth said:

jenny2017, can I ask why you prefer Office 2016 Pro over Office 365? More importantly, what differences do you see and in which program/module?

I prefer it because it's a lifetime purchase without yearly fees. And I can also update my Office 2016 Pro. I don't see a difference in the two programmes. 

Edited by jenny2017