Schools targeted as 80 foreigners arrested nationwide

webfact

On 3/30/2018 at 5:26 AM, JOC said:

I notice that the didn't use the nickname "Big Joke"  for Surachet in this article.....Wonder if the initials BJ have anything to do with the polity change?

Notice the sign behind the proud hunter....Xenophobia is alive and well

bj.jpg

Are you trying to say that he is doing an irrelevant and bad work? He should be proud of his work. and is one of the figures that actually make a differens in the right direction every day.

7 hours ago, techboy said:

Semantic trash from a self sanctimonious who needs to get a life.  Your response puts a teacher in the same class with a drug dealer or pedophile.  Hey!  I know a cancer patient who was too sick to travel and was well into overstay.  They should have thrown that scoundrel in jail and thrown away the key!

When you resort to name calling and insults you automatically loose the argument.  The unfortunate cancer Patient is obviously an exception to what is being discussed here.  Your post is desperate attempt at credibility.

10 hours ago, techboy said:

I know a cancer patient who was too sick to travel and was well into overstay.  They should have thrown that scoundrel in jail and thrown away the key!

They should have kept your friend in hospital , people shouldnt be sent to jail for having cancer , hospital is the right place to send them

• Thanks 1

On 4/1/2018 at 8:56 AM, joeyg said:

They're illegal.  Illegal aliens are ruining the rest of the world.  Just "jump through the hoops" and do it legally.  What is the problem with that.  Europe is finished.  the USA may be going the same way due to illegals flaunting the law.

The problem with that is that the teachers themselves are not the main source of the problem. The schools are also complicit.  If nobody's hiring illegal workers, fewer will try to work illegally. What the politicians and the media etc rarely seem to want to do is call out those who encourage people to come and work illegally. It is really irresponsible of the schools to be exposing kids to this kind of criminalized environment. Do we ever hear on Thaivisa about that whole sordid state? No, it is only the fault of these disgusting pervo, call center working teachers. In this kind of cops and robbers atmosphere not only do the kids suffer but legitimate teachers as we are seen in this light and we become increasingly suspect and disrespected, not to mention underpaid. The whole environment and atmosphere that might be conducive to education becomes more and more problematic. 

The second problem I have is that after 12 years of teaching in Thailand and also some other countries where it is the same, teachers often have the qualifications and requisite visas and other requirements in line. However, there is apparently no incentive for schools to, to take one example, simply send admin staff out to the ministry of labor and immigration etc, to file the forms because the schools are not penalized systematically if at all for the illegal teachers. Teachers can also be working illegally unbeknownst to themselves. It was common practice when I was teaching in Thailand to not allow teachers to have their work permits or their passports back. Not having your passport or work permit and you are breaking the law. Schools would tell teachers: "Don't worry! We'll keep it all safe for you!" You press them on it and youre finished: bye bye, congratulations you are now an official pain in the ass and too much of a bother! Go work somewhere else! And by the way we seem to have misplaced your passport and workpermit! So sorry!"

Should you get with the program and let them have your passport and work permit you might be told:  "Visa all taken care of! Don't worry!" But you wouldn't know, you can't see your passport or your work permit. Theres no one at a ministry or office you are welcome to go and complain to about this. This is just one type of thing that can happen because schools won't get in trouble for any of this. Schools will also claim they have filed for a renewal of your work-permit when in fact they have let it all expire and you carry on working illegally for months. This happened to me at my first job in Korea. They kept hustling me out of the school every few weeks; "We'll just go and have some coffee!" "I have to teach in 20 minutes!" "Nevermind! Come on we have to go quickly!" I was fully legal but they just foun dit too difficult to get me renewed and finally they fired me for nothing and I found out from some other teachers that we had been fired because the school wasn't keeping us legal and they got caught. I can't see that happening in Thailand, not from I have seen in a decade plus teaching here and not judging by the attitude on display in this crackdown on teachers,  it would come down on me if the school wasn't keeping me legal.

So, It is not a black and white issue of these bad principle-less people who simply come over to teach and disrespect and flaunt the law. 

It is simply this: businesses have more control over illegal workers: they don't have to pay them or if they do they can pay them less, they can also make greater demands as they can threaten to call the police and immigration if their demands aren't met and rest assured that it is teachers who will get popped not themselves, it works that way in the states as well. Agriculture and other low-skilled labor industries need illegal workers. Again, its cheaper and they have more control. This is just propaganda and distraction for the masses about the illegal aliens invading and stealing their work etc etc.

Edited by Shaunduhpostman
  • Thanks 2

On 3/30/2018 at 10:43 AM, scorecard said:

Interesting, the reporter makes comments on the venue rather than the subject.

Another example of the poor quality of reporting / media in this country.  

Good place to catch middle eastern overstayers ,  about time we got a juicy 20th floor suicide jumper, got to keep looking up when entering buildings never know what is coming down and it all usually happens between 2.30 AM - 5AM 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, hottrader77 said:

Good place to catch middle eastern overstayers ,  about time we got a juicy 20th floor suicide jumper, got to keep looking up when entering buildings never know what is coming down and it all usually happens between 2.30 AM - 5AM 

Where is "Good place to catch middle eastern overstayers?'

On 3/31/2018 at 6:18 PM, The Teacher said:

Well said and very correct and agencies get double this from the school, so should the true teachers be paid more ???

The agencies don't get double. They add 3k baht to the wage and that is their commission. They may get a signing bonus.

• Thanks 1

On 3/30/2018 at 8:26 PM, jenny2017 said:

Five Native English Teachers doesn't say much about the quality of these people regarding their progress as educators. A lot of positions are only filled to show the parents that they've got white faces.

Why would a "real and educated" teacher work for 35,000 baht/month? But it would be great to know how much a school director receives for one employee.

Firstly, schools are not paid by the government for employing  Native English Speakers. An urban myth along the same line as formaldehyde in Thai beer. I'm teaching here for the low salary.

Why?

After battling a serious illness back home I wanted a less stressful life.

In Canada I made 5 times what I make teaching here but I put about the same money in the bank for savings each month because Vancouver was incredibly expensive. Money isn't everything.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2018 at 11:20 PM, joeyg said:

That what my European relatives tell me.  half the Brits here say the same about England.  And no far from hysterical.  I know the scenario you're talking about very well.  Follow the law and problem solved.  "forced to work on a tourist visa"  has an interesting ring to it don't ya think.  Pretty funny...

Brits screaming about "overrun by muslims"   England is four and half percent muslim but they're "overrun".

On 3/30/2018 at 5:58 PM, Miss Pickle said:

Do these schools just employ anyone? Do they actually do any background checks ?

Yes they do. Criminal record check is now mandatory, transcripts from university is being asked for, and teaching demos are now the norm.

On 4/1/2018 at 10:56 PM, joeyg said:

They're illegal.  Illegal aliens are ruining the rest of the world.  Just "jump through the hoops" and do it legally.  What is the problem with that.  Europe is finished.  the USA may be going the same way due to illegals flaunting the law.

The vast majority of people flaunting the law in USA are....Americans, not illegal immigrants.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2018 at 10:18 AM, sanemax said:

TBF , many Americans can hardly speak in sentences  

Every time I hear a Brit slagging Americans for their English, I think what pompous <deleted> the English can be.

"Oh, we invented the language. It started here."

It evolved from a dozen or more dialects just like it has evolved in USA, Canada, Aus, and N Zealand. It's not better in UK,  it's different. But you stuck up <deleted> from England think your English is perfect.

Bugger off!!!

2 hours ago, duanebigsby said:

The vast majority of people flaunting the law in USA are....Americans, not illegal immigrants.

That's not what I got from reading it there were people from all over.  They're here illegaly because of not having work permit.

On 4/2/2018 at 11:04 AM, sanemax said:

They should have kept your friend in hospital , people shouldnt be sent to jail for having cancer , hospital is the right place to send them

they could have operated on his brain and yours to see if he had a memory !!